• Console style

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Wrist Mount

Votes: 157 74.4%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 11 5.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with my Vyper on my wrist, then moved it into a console. Now it's back on my wrist. I found the console awkward to handle in the water and also bulky. I now have a tiny SPG at the end of my hose, and wear the Vyper on my wrist. I attach my mosquito to the SPG as a backup. When I ascend, my computer is right there on my wrist where I can watch it to monitor my depth. I don't have to go yanking it off of my waist.

it's really a simple decision for me*

1) if you want AI computer, go with Console. WHy not hoseless AI wrist mount computer ?? i would not depend my life on in my opinion* , fragile wireless technology (can you say interefence ??)
Also, they cost an arm and a leg.

Well, just today one of the guys Dacor wireless AI computer went bezerk for no apparent reason. Tried resetting the batteries both on the wrist console and transmitter but didint help a bit.

2) if you dont care about AI computer, definitely get a wrist mount.

I wanted* AI, so i got the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.

I find a wrist mount much easier to use since I do underwater video and have one hand (right) always occupied. I can simply turn my wrist and see the display rather than trying to fumble for the console which is often under the camera when it is to my eye.

Dr. Bill

Dxtreme once bubbled...
it's really a simple decision for me*

1) if you want AI computer, go with Console. WHy not hoseless AI wrist mount computer ?? i would not depend my life on in my opinion* , fragile wireless technology (can you say interefence ??)
Also, they cost an arm and a leg.

Well I have to disagree
I have been using a Uwatec Air X Nitrox AI.

Had it for 6 years no idea how many hundreds of Dives I have on it. Anyway it has never once lost the signal to the Computer, never once failed, never leaked and never once stuffed up in any way.

On the other hand I have had 3HP hoses blow at various stages during dives.

the guy that we dove with today said he been using his dacor for 5-6 yearas without a single hitch, but today .............

I am not an expert in wireless communications, but dont all wireless transmissions are in the mercy of the environment ?? like weather, other wireless sources, metals, magnets ...etc that can affect the equipment ?

Anyway, nothing is fail-proof but i just have more faith in physical hoses than wireless. Again, that is just IMHO.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
the guy that we dove with today said he been using his dacor for 5-6 yearas without a single hitch, but today .............

I am not an expert in wireless communications, but dont all wireless transmissions are in the mercy of the environment ?? like weather, other wireless sources, metals, magnets ...etc that can affect the equipment ?

Anyway, nothing is fail-proof but i just have more faith in physical hoses than wireless. Again, that is just IMHO.

Ahh but there is a benefit to that.

If a HP hose blows as I said I have had three go you loose a good deal of air in a real hurry, and have to share air from your buddy for accent and have to end the dive, maybe in a real hurry....

If the AI transmitter or computer fails you just loose the tank information, you don’t actually loose any air, you still end the dive of course but you are still going to have all your Air left to do it with.

I have a Cobra...it comes off my right side and clips with a retractor (I know some folks hate them....I love mine) on a mid chest D-ring on my left side. What this means is that I can just glance down at it (look Ma, no hands!).

That being said....I do wear a Mosquito on my wrist as well...and that is what I watch when ascending.

I use my Cobra as my computer...really I use my Mosquito as a glorified depth/timing device.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom