Console vs. Wrist Mounted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrist for me as well.

I like a number of posters wear it on my right wrist, so that I can control my buoyancy with my left hand.

Coming up an anchor line or just holding an open water stop is far easier just to glance at my hands that are out in front of me.

yeah, on the right for me

can control bouyancy with left, as stated by OE2X

also, my light goes on the left, so i can work the reel and keep an eye on my gauge
while shinning the light onto my right hand

When my husband and I were trying to decide what to buy, we opted for a console. The reasons were the clumsiness of trying to put instruments on our wrists, and price.

In my opinion, we were wrong. The ease of seeing instruments on your wrists is superb. You can arrange your compass, computer, and watch to form a "dashboard" that you can easily see in front of you. There is no need to pull something forward from a retractor.

The downsides (and there are ALWAYS downsides): For a woman, you have to remove all wrist-mounted gauges during the desperate shedding of the drysuit and undergarments for the obigatory post-dive restroom stop. It's a pain. For us oldsters, the displays on the wrist-mounted computers are often smaller and harder to read. And if you are going to use wrist-mounted instruments, it's worth getting the housings to use them with bungee, because the straps that come with them are sometimes incredibly stupidly designed -- my new Suunto compass is an example.

What works is often quite individual. Sometimes it's prescribed by one's educational agency. My agency and I agree that wrist-mounted works better. You may find it different for you.

TSandM:
The downsides (and there are ALWAYS downsides): For a woman, you have to remove all wrist-mounted gauges during the desperate shedding of the drysuit and undergarments for the obigatory post-dive restroom stop. It's a pain.

i dont' use a pee-valve, so i also have to remove my computer and watch from
my wrists.

it's not too difficult, really... just two things to remove

also, you could bungee them for even easier removal

:wink:

Since I use a BPW I always take my guages off before taking my tank off. It can be a PITA with the guages catching on the shoulder straps.

Anyone ever have a problem with the wrist strap getting loose? and possible falling off?I lost a 5 dollar watch while underwater when it was only strapped around my wrist.

How does everyone like the bungees?

Just a personal opinion from someone who is maybe 2 months ahead of you, Go with the wrist. I bought a AI consol computer and i'm going to sell it to get a wrist mount...

P.S anyone want to buy a very new Aeris Atmos AI QD with Compass? PM me

RICHinNC:
Just remember....any store...LDS or Radio Shack..doesnt matter...their advice is always tilted toward their bottom line.

Why is that?

I noticed that you live in South Florida. One reason to consider a console would be if you think that you might get into lobster hunting at some point ... a fairly popular activity among recreational divers in that area. Sometimes you have no choice but to get messy … go mano-a-mano. You can run the risk of damaging or losing that expensive and important piece of gear if it’s on your wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom