Console vs. Wrist Mounted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
Since I use a BPW I always take my guages off before taking my tank off. It can be a PITA with the guages catching on the shoulder straps.

yes it can... i usually slip my right hand in first, that way there's no snag problems.

i gots my dry suit dump valve on the left shoulder. now, THAT's a snag problem :wink:

riguerin:
I noticed that you live in South Florida. One reason to consider a console would be if you think that you might get into lobster hunting at some point ... a fairly popular activity among recreational divers in that area. Sometimes you have no choice but to get messy … go mano-a-mano. You can run the risk of damaging or losing that expensive and important piece of gear if it’s on your wrist.
What an excellent post. That's the first time I've ever heard a worthy arguement for having a console! Wish I had thought of that, but I'll keep it in mind the next time I want to jump on someone for having a console. Thanks for the enlightenment.

OE2X:
What an excellent post. That's the first time I've ever heard a worthy arguement for having a console! Wish I had thought of that, but I'll keep it in mind the next time I want to jump on someone for having a console. Thanks for the enlightenment.

The reason I stopped buying expensive dive watches years ago. It's been Casio G-Shock for the past 12 years :wink:

Lobster hunting huh? I'm new to Florida (from Michigan a few months ago), so what is the deal with lobster hunting? Please enlighten me, as I certainly enjoy eating them!

you know its funny. i was just at my lds the other day, and the guy i was talking to was pushing towards consoles too. he said that wrist are just a pain to always take on and off, and that they are harder to read compared to a console, especially in michigan where vis can become limited.

scooba doo:
you know its funny. i was just at my lds the other day, and the guy i was talking to was pushing towards consoles too. he said that wrist are just a pain to always take on and off, and that they are harder to read compared to a console, especially in michigan where vis can become limited.

It's very easy to put your wrist within an inch of your face, so the low vis arguement is incorrect.

If you bungie your computer and or compass they are very easy to take off. When I take them off, I always place them in the foot compartment of my fins until I get back to my truck where the go into a case.

Spiney Lobster (aka bugs), done mostly in southern Florida, hard time getting into the keys for vacation during the first season of the year. Lots of info on it in the Underwater Hunting section in this forum..... and this is why I bought a console mounted computer, sticking hands in holes and going mono-a-mono with a large bug and you will see why a console is a better choice....

New Diver Dave

Warnberg:
Spiney Lobster (aka bugs), done mostly in southern Florida, hard time getting into the keys for vacation during the first season of the year. Lots of info on it in the Underwater Hunting section in this forum..... and this is why I bought a console mounted computer, sticking hands in holes and going mono-a-mono with a large bug and you will see why a console is a better choice....

New Diver Dave

I just started bug hunting this year and am still thinking about the wrist mount. My LDS' owner said I should go with a console for hunting, but the instructors, who also go after the lobsters, all wear wrist mounts. Just on their left arm. I never found it necessary to put my left arm under the ledge (I'm right handed). I also haven't done battle with any monsters either. Now that I think about it, a lobster as big as my arm would require two hands... I'm still leaning toward wrist mount though. Can't you just change the mount to clip it off to a D-ring if you know you're going after lobsters?

I'm probably buying all of my equipment before the end of the month, and this will likely be my main area of contention....
Jason

Jorbar1551:
Anyone ever have a problem with the wrist strap getting loose? and possible falling off?I lost a 5 dollar watch while underwater when it was only strapped around my wrist.

How does everyone like the bungees?

Yep, the factory bands are not depth compensating. As you get deeper the neoprene in your wetsuit compresses, your expensive wrist mounted computer/watch/gauge becomes lose, and you quickly find yourself in need of a replacement. The bungee solutions are great. Tobin at DeepSeaSupply makes excellent mounts that fit a variety of computers/gauges. I own the mount for the SK7 compass and the Vytec. Both have been fantastic.

Jason

gosh, these deepseasupply guys make everything.

Back
Top Bottom