Console vs Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easy to hang for safety stops with left hand on deflator button and right wrist monitoring depth and time.

I always get a kick out of seeing divers on the safety stop with deflator overhead and finger on the button. As if some rogue air might sneak into the BC and need to be released.

I always get a kick out of seeing divers on the safety stop with deflator overhead and finger on the button. As if some rogue air might sneak into the BC and need to be released.

What I meant to write was while ascending, not at the safety stop, but it was late last night when I wrote it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have yet to hear of anyone using a bungie wrist mount losing their gauge during a dive . . . straps, yes, which is why everything I own is on a bungie mount, and I won't buy anything that won't fit in one.

What I meant to write was while ascending, not at the safety stop, but it was late last night when I wrote it. Thanks for pointing it out.

It does happen though. My other favorite inflator trick, though I've only seen it once, was watching a diver at depth trying to add air to the BC. Had the hose stretched to its full length so as to be able to see the inflator/deflator buttons clearly. Pushing the inflator buttorn to add air, while air is being released from the shoulder dump valve. The look of confusion was priceless.

i wrist mount as well... found it more accessible...

I have yet to hear of anyone using a bungie wrist mount losing their gauge during a dive . . . straps, yes, which is why everything I own is on a bungie mount, and I won't buy anything that won't fit in one.

where do you get a bungee wristmount to fit a sherwood insight (1.75in diameter)... i have the standard wrist mount but personally i dont think its secure enough... one time after a dive while on the dive boat it just fell out :S.. good thing i was on the boat..

I prefer wrist mount. Others have stated most of the reasons so no point in me going over it again.

I do concede that gearing up takes just a little bit longer when you have to attach 2 or 3 gauges, but for me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Some people have issues with gauges catching when they put on their BC or harness - this can easily be fixed by temporarily rotating the gauges to the inside of the wrist.

Wrist mount is the only way to go for me and my AI Luna (with a wired SPG backup).

I don't understand 2 things that have been said...

1)if your wrist mount catches on your BC, why not put your BC on then put your wrist mount on? Seems that problem is solved.

2)personally I check my computer quite often so if it was on its way to the bottom I would be aware of it long before it got there and would at the very least be able to follow where it lands. I think if people are losing them then they probably aren't checking their gear often enough (obviously its hard to make that a blanket statement and it wasn't meant to be)

Just my $0.02 :)

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

I don't understand 2 things that have been said...

1)if your wrist mount catches on your BC, why not put your BC on then put your wrist mount on? Seems that problem is solved.

At least on our local boats that can get crowded I always put on my wrist mount computer and compass while standing up away from my tank station. Once I sit down to put on my BC I do it fast and then stand up and get out of the way all in about a minute or less. People who sit there in the way of others and continue to fiddle with their gear drive me crazy. I suppose you could put on BC, stand up and move out of the way then put on your wrist guages.

I don't want to argue with anybody but the other option is a Datamask. I have one and really like it. You can see all the information you need in a glance. I know there are a couple of draw backs but it works for me.:D

your scenario is not among the reasons one needs to elect wrist mount over console.

I dove my Cobalt clipped off on my right shoulder, such that a glance down gave me all the information I needed. Having deployed my SMB many times with the Cobalt I can say not only was it at least as easy as a wrist mount, in some ways it was easier since the arms may be moving around during the deployment, while the console on my chest never did.

When one is vertical and flailing about, you may have a point.

Back
Top Bottom