Console vs Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a couple of factors to consider:

1. If you end up diving with a different regulator set for any reason, you won't have the computer if it is on a console.

2. On your wrist it is really easy to see at a glance.

3. Unless the console has a quick disconnect, if you are on a trip and leaving your dive gear with the operator, it will be inconvenient to take the computer back to your room.

I used to have everything, including the compass, on a console. Now I have everything but the SPG on my wrist. That's my preference, but it is really up to you.

I have an air integrated console computer with a quickdisconnect and agree with all these reasons. I really like the computer buthate that is on a console. I find console computers are not user friendly and amreplacing it. I dive with my hands in front of me and with a wrist computer Icould glance at it anytime. With a console computer I have to reach for it everytime I want to look at it. If I had more experience I would never have broughta console computer.

I suppose you could put on BC, stand up and move out of the way then put on your wrist guages.

Exactly what I do, and what I meant. I should have been more clear in my precious comment

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Wrist mount is the only way to go for me and my AI Luna (with a wired SPG backup).

I don't understand 2 things that have been said...

1)if your wrist mount catches on your BC, why not put your BC on then put your wrist mount on?

I dont want to be carrying the weight of a tank any longer than absolutely necessary so always put my gauges on first.

Tapatalk 2

I don't have much of a problem with things catching when putting ON my gear, but I've had things catch and make taking it off in the water a bit difficult -- and that's one place where there's no WAY I'm going to take my gauges off first!

Funny. I have trouble with then catching both on and off out of the water but no problem in the water.

I keep a double ender on each chest D-ring. I have a large (tank neck) o-ring attached to each of my primary 2nds rather than a snap link so one double ender does that job. The other one holds my compass and my computer when not on my wrists. They are the last thing on and the first thing off.

O.k., let's say you are deploying a SMB @ a safety stop and need to monitor your depth and time while using both hands to deploy the SMB.........What do you do?

Well I still find it easier to twist my wrist and see the dive computer there in such a situation than try to see it on a console.

Besides, if monitoring your depth during a procedure like deploying your SMB is what you're worried about, then you're doing it wrong. You're diving with a buddy, so...

You signal your buddy: You, Watch, Me, Switch. Your buddy should respond OK, which means they'll now hold a steady depth. Then you just make sure you stay at the same depth as your buddy. A buddy is much easier to see than a gauge or computer.

I have a console with air and depth gauges on my single cylinder reg setup, but almost never refer to it. My two dive computers on my wrists (one in gauge mode) both give me that information as I have an air transmitter in the setup. On my twin cylinder reg setup, I have an air pressure gauge on one post and an air transmitter on the other post. Thus I only need to use the gauge when I'm diving independent twins.

As you see, I dive with different reg setups, so having the dive computers on my wrists is way better as I can use them on all reg setups. Plus I can easily take the dive computer away from my gear and download the dive data and upload dive plans.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

I dont want to be carrying the weight of a tank any longer than absolutely necessary so always put my gauges on first.

Tapatalk 2

Two solutions for this...don your BC, then while still sitting put on your gauges. Or, just put them on while moving from your seat to your entry point on the boat.

It takes me literally 5 seconds to attach my computer to my wrist so from the time I don my BC, stand up, and am in position to enter the water my computer is ready to go. There is no unnecessary standing around...

I'm still confused how its a problem but to each their own :) if you have a method that works, then that's the correct method!

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

For the record, some of those around you will be annoyed if they have to listen to the thing beep at you. The rest of us will strongly consider making you part of a brand new artificial reef if we have to listen to it.

Recently on a week long live-a-board, and two people constantly had their "beepers" going off- absolutely annoying.

I much prefer wrist being a photographer. On my right wrist, with the face on the underside, I can easily check my display while holding the camera. Also works well when ascending, with the BC hose and my relief valve in my left hand/on my left arm, it makes it easy to release air from my BC/DS while monitoring my ascent rate. Also, using bifocals, it is easier to move my wrist to the "proper" distance vs. a console on a hose :D

I just have to remember to put my right arm into my BC first to avoid snagging it, and as Lynne mentions, it is one more thing to keep track of. I do have a second computer clipped to my left hip in case I need it.

I don't want to argue with anybody but the other option is a Datamask. I have one and really like it. You can see all the information you need in a glance. I know there are a couple of draw backs but it works for me.:D
I couldn't believe it took 29 posts for someone to bring this option on the table... until I got mine I would rotate my masks just because I like to use different gear for different days. Just a way to make sure that I will always feel comfortable diving regardless of the gear... but that mask got me, having all the info right there, right there totally spoiled me.

I keep rotating fins, BC's backplate/wing and thermal protection but the datamask goes with me everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom