Contact lenses and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnc1978

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I wear contact lenses (strength -1.5 both eyes). I am a recently qualified OW diver (ssi) and was wondering whether there were any issues with diving with contacts. Thus far i have simply not worn the lenses as i have reasonable vision for 10-20 m, however, i will be diving the Great Barrier Reef here in Aus in November and would like to take in as much as possible whilst i am there.

Is it advisable to wear contacts whilst diving? i understand that the shape of the eye changes with pressure changes and this may cause the lenses to either be uncomfortable or to "pop" off the eyes completely.

any suggestions / thoughts??

thanks
Cameron:D

I've been wearing contacts to dive for 30 years. No problems yet.

I wear hard contacts last 15 years no problems either. Knocking on wood as I type :)

I wear gas permeable hard lenses (for 40 yrs.) and have had few problems. Once or twice salt has crystallized under the lens and scratched my cornea (at least I think this is what happened), but all in all, no problem. Also I have had numerous surgeries for detached retina, torn retina, pin holes, have a scleral buckle, etc. Think you are fine with contacts and water will give you 33 1/3% magnification which helps with my close up vision. I am almost 65 and still booking along ......

200+ dives with soft contacts. My prescription (-6.0) is a lot worse than yours. No problems. Mask-clearing in saltwater cam cause some mild stinging but not anymore than without contacts.

Be sure to keep some sterile saline solution and a spare set of contacts in your save-a-dive kit.

Your other alternative is to get prescription lenses for a dive mask. It's not as expensive as you might think.

I also dive with soft contacts (-4.0) with no problems at all. I use disposables - wear for a month then throw away - so I always keep an extra pair in my bag. Your prescription is not too bad, so maybe a prescription lens mask would work for you. I can't do that because as soon as I took it off on the boat I wouldn't be able to see a thing!!!

I also dive with my contacts.

Only 2 things to consider :

1) Make sure you have another pair ... just in case !!!!

2) In salt water diving, I find that my contacts tend to be slightly
uncomfortable if salt water leaks into my mask ... Cleaning with
saline solution between dives solves the problem.

Wife & I both wear soft contacts when we dive. No problems.

I started off with a prescription mask, was always paranoid that something would happen to my mask on a trip. I aways took along contacts just in case figuring I would just pick up another mask on the trip if necessary.

Never experienced any problems with the eyes at depth.

30 years with hard lenses - no problem

Hi all,

I wear contact lenses (strength -1.5 both eyes). I am a recently qualified OW diver (ssi) and was wondering whether there were any issues with diving with contacts. Thus far i have simply not worn the lenses as i have reasonable vision for 10-20 m, however, i will be diving the Great Barrier Reef here in Aus in November and would like to take in as much as possible whilst i am there.

Is it advisable to wear contacts whilst diving? i understand that the shape of the eye changes with pressure changes and this may cause the lenses to either be uncomfortable or to "pop" off the eyes completely.

any suggestions / thoughts??

thanks
Cameron:D

Talk to your eye doctor(in case you have some unusual k ie corneal problem) but it should be NO problem.....I have never told a patient to not wear them before....As far as the k readings(corneal curveture) changing UW, that should not be a problem.....Here is a linked article(you should be able to follow it) describing how most ametropes( people who have a prescription) correct their vision for diving---ie with soft ctl's---especially go with disposable ctl's like Acuvue DW lenses as the paper states............

http://drmarkbrown.com/pdf/corneal topography.pdf

Back
Top Bottom