Contact lenses vs Corrective lens mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of people who wear contacts wear them diving no problem, as you can see.

I prefer glasses, however. I've worn contacts but never got fully comfortable with them. I can always feel them in my eyes, and my eyes get dry easily. I even forced myself to wear mine for a full year (disposable dailies), and still didn't like them. So I'd rather stick with tried-and-true glasses. I don't consider it a hassle to swap mask for glasses once I hit the shore/boat.

Nearly any mask can be turned into prescription. The ones with two windows and removeable glass panels are easier and look more natural, as glass can be custom ground and replace the existing flat glass, instead of being bonded to the surface like they have to do with single-piece glass masks and with frameless models where you can't remove the lens.

Another option to look into is the hydrooptix mask. I would go that route but my eyes are good enough (!!!) that I would have to wear contacts. They're incredible, though.

Many people advise others to use disposible contacts and do not leave the contact in eyes after dive for too long, for the obvious reason. Some do not mind using them, but I don't wear contacts while diving.

Low volume(/capacity) mask makes the lens closer to our eyes for better vision, yet I'd friendly remind others that not all low volume gives you same amount of vision. Check the peripheral vision when you put the mask on, besides checking if it fits your face. You may realize that some would allow you to see your own octo (look down), then far left and right, some will allow you to see more and also during this time you may have some partial overlapping version (different sights given by your left and right eye) let's check if you feel comfortable. Also, check the cost for prescription lens done by different brand names, sometimes it could be a significant part of the total cost. Then finally I've heard of prescription sickers on lens, but I haven't tried one yet.

TheAlphaMag:
Even if you dont know anything about contacts, what would you consider to be one of the best masks on the market right now?
One of the best prescription masks on the market right now can be found here:

http://www.seavisionusa.com/

I use glasses, not contacts. I put the glasses in a drybox/Otterbox on board the boat when actually diving, along with my cell phone, and so far there haven't been any issues.

Lots of guys dive with contacts, and it works great for them. I simply never got into contacts.

Coupla comments re: your options...

I tried the reading lenses that 'stick on' the inner surface of your mask. Some have had no problems with them. In my case, jumping into seriously cold water caused the space between the mask lens and the stick-on lenses to fog, so my vision was clear except for this little foggy dot right where the stick-ons were. Back to the drawing board.

Tried the Mares six lens mask, with a side port plus a smaller 'gauge reading port' offering custom made reading lenses that fit into it. I didn't like it as you had to make a conscious effort to glance down through the reading port to see the gauges, and then there was this fuzzy bar across your vision the rest of the time.

Sea Vision masks solve all these issues, are very high quality, and if you wear bifocals, trifocals or whatever, they can incorporate any prescription into continuous focus lenses.

One thing you won't have experienced yet is the cluster-potential inherent in a bunch of divers entering the water relatively simultaneously, and especially hanging on the line at 10' doing safety stops before exiting the water. Believe it or not, masks occasionally get kicked off underwater. It's a PITA either way, but if you lose a contact (or a mask) when it occurs its more of a PITA than otherwise.

While 99.999% of your dives will be uneventful, there will be a very few that may be somewhat more exciting than you'd hope for. We call those "adventures". In general, penetrating wrecks or any overhead environment can result in silt-outs, reduced vision, and the need to recognize small details such as monofilament fishing line or the line coming off your reel. Select the mask-or-contact option that allows you to have superior visibility under worst-case scenarios. Your instructors will no doubt have their own opinions on this matter. [And never enter any overhead environment without additional training specifically aimed at overhead environments.]

Best of luck with your certification and your decision. Hope you enjoy diving.

Doc

My experience with different manufacturers is limited, but two different options I've seen have been:

1. Laminates - e.g. the 'corrective lens' is ground and then glued to the mask lens, it was serviceable but kludgy; and

2. Non-continuous for bifocals, e.g. there is a line running across the top of the reading lens separating it from the longer-range vision lens.

In my case, I ordered a continuous-focus lens for my prescription, but added a magnification factor for the reading lens - I wanted to magnify numbers in extremely poor visibility situations. I'm happy with the result that Seavision provided (although with the magnification there is a recognizable section in the lower mask faceplate which is only useful for reading gauges).

There may be other manufacturers that offer similar products, I'm not familiar with them all. Seavision offers decent customer service, however, rapid turnaround, high quality work, and lenses that correct for various color fades if you're a photog or other demanding user, and in general those I've spoken with have been quite satisfied with their products.

But whatever works, works.

I use Sea Vision Masks due to having lost both hard and soft lenses mid dive in the past. Sea Visiaon has an excellent product and a fair price even for mega prescriptions like mine!
PC

I got mine from www.prescriptiondivemasks.com which is the service recommended from my LDS. What can I say, worked great for me. I am only nearsighted, not farsighted, so bifocals aren't an issue for me. Also my mask (Tusa Liberator and a Tilos knockoff of the same design) is designed to have the lenses be replaced, so mine are custom ground whole lenses, not just ground add-ons glued to the inside of the mask. (I have heard the latter option works fine if you must have a certain mask that does not have removable lenses, but the real deal looks a lot nicer.)

Hi

when i first started diving i was wearing glasses and had the corrective lenses put into my mask and it worked great, except between dives when i had to put my glasses back on and they got salt, sand, grit then bashed around the boat etc. It was also a hassle on shore dives.

Now i wear the soft contact lenses which are the 30 day live in ones from Bausch and lomb the pure vision lenses. They have been out in Australia maybe a year or two. Ive had them a year as it took a bit longer for mine to get out here as i have different correctiveness levels in each eye and stigmatisms.
Personally i think my quality of life has improved and i love the fact i live in them for a month, then throw them out and pop another pair in.
I know there available in the Usa but im not sure exactly of the name over there.
I wear contacts diving and to be honest ive never had a complete mask flood or my mask come off.
I also after diving clean mine real quick with the one solution cleaner and all fine.

This is what works for me, for you try both if you can and then decide. Me, i like my contacts, and i also play paintball and know what it is to have a goggles for it. When you get a mask, try it on, make sure the fit is right and buy a good one.

tracy

Contacts work really well for me (accuview hydraclear) and I've never lost one. I've dealt with prescriptiondivemasks.com for customers and they were very helpful (as stated above)

I use accuview oasis contacts, and so far, as long as i dont have to swim into a current without my mask, i have not lost them yet. As for masks, just make sure you try it before you buy it to make sure it fits!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom