Converting fire extinguishers into SCUBA bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dessaler:
i have a co2 extinctinguisher
thread 1.125-12UNF-2B
how to converted in pony bottle?

I don't know about CO2, but for those who might consider converting a chemical extinguisher, don't do it. I re-charged chemical extinguishers when I worked as a carpenter on a railroad. I remember how they stop your breathing on the slightest whiff. I don't know if these could be cleaned well enough and the smallest trace can is choking. That's the point, I guess.

I know this isn't what you're propposing, but would like any lurkers to keep the difference in mind.

As to CO2, I'll leave it to the shops to say whether this could be prepared and whether it meets spec. Good luck.

dessaler:
thread 1.125-12UNF-2B

What are the service pressure ratings on those bottles? C02 liquefies at standard temperature well under even 1500 psi, thus I wouldn't imagine those bottles able to handle much more than 3000, nor would I want to try.

have a co2 extinctinguisher thread 1.125-12UNF-2B
how to converted in pony bottle

Well that was common practise in the 60's and generally required a machined HP bushing(not cast as in homedepot etc). The next item is a 1/2in taper pipe valve as in the days of old and your 2015 or 1800# bottle is now a pony.
One other problem is getting it filled, not many dive ops would touch a bottle like that and especially with other than air. Bottom line, and I dove converted fire extinguishers(my first tank) and filled bunches of them, but the idea is past it usefullness. More better to hunt ebay and get a al 20,30 or what ever and just be done with it. For the money time and agravation afterwards aint worth it.

dessaler:
thread 1.125-12UNF-2B

This is nuts.

I know some people have done it in the past but they were nuts too and I think most of them would tell you not to do it.

R..

I don't want to sound too snarky, but this definitely sounds like you're fixing to pour chlorine into your own gene pool...

I think it's prudent to warn people of potentially dangerous mistakes. I wasn't acutally thinking about problems with diving with it. i think the chances are higher that he'll hurt himself (or someone else) getting it filled.

Intelligent or not I stand by my comment. It's nuts.....by which I mean unwise and potentially dangerous.

R..

quimby:
Guys lets not get carried away with ourselves, if you have something intelligent to say great but by these comments its obvious you at best dont so dont waste bandwidth
Plbtbtbt! :crafty:

I don't know what you would consider an intelligent comment to be, maybe something along the lines of, "Gnarly, dude, go for it!" but I think that strongly suggesting he reconsider the very idea is not only the intelligent thing to do, but also the only decent and responsible thing.

I'm all in favor of DIY solutions - they can be fun and innovative and less costly, all good things. They can also be dangerous and impractical. I know that back in the stone age of diving converting fire extinguishers to pony bottles was a not uncommon practice, however that doesn't mean that it was or is an intelligent thing to do. J-valves were replaced by K-valves and an SPG; Mae West's fell by the wayside with the development of stab jackets and wings; and, amazingly enough, ready-made pony bottles that won't blow up or poison you can be cheaply and conveniently obtained from a wide range of sources. Sometimes progress is a good thing.

While we're on the subject of intelligent contributions to the conversation, I see that you don't think much of his idea either, but that you went ahead and gave him a fairly detailed explanation of how to do it. Isn't that something akin to teaching someone how to fire a gun that just told you they want to blow their brains out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom