Converting fire extinguishers into SCUBA bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver:
Only if you don't want 3000 psi argon going into your drysuit.

Of course they need a regulator :rolleyes:

Just buy a scuba tank and read some of the threads here on what they do and how they're configured.
OK I guess I deserved that :redface: but cut me a little slack. So it at least needs a 1st stage regulator. I was trying to get a feel for how expensive an operation this would be. Having purchased a 13 cu.ft pony bottle with reg a couple of months ago I know what that cost, but was hoping it would be less configuration and cost for an argon system.

geraldp:
OK I guess I deserved that :redface: but cut me a little slack. So it at least needs a 1st stage regulator. I was trying to get a feel for how expensive an operation this would be. Having purchased a 13 cu.ft pony bottle with reg a couple of months ago I know what that cost, but was hoping it would be less configuration and cost for an argon system.

For argon you need:

Bottle
first stage *only*
LP hose
OPV
means to attach the bottle

The only thing you save is not needing a second stage, but you have the OPV cost.

If you're not getting cold and not doing long dives, don't worry about it. It will also cost you, most places, about $1/cu.ft for argon. There are other issues regarding pressure, which is why I said to read the other posts.

MD

OPV = over pressure valve... and this is a must have for an argon bottle since you won't have a second stage to blow off extra pressure should the HP seat fail in the first stage.

As MD says it might not be worth it for you to use argon.

Unless it is really cold where you dive or you are diving helium in your backgas and you have a large enough tank or a separate tank to pre-purge your suit with argon several times before the dive it really isn't necessary.

Uncle Pug:
OPV = over pressure valve... and this is a must have for an argon bottle since you won't have a second stage to blow off extra pressure should the HP seat fail in the first stage.

As MD says it might not be worth it for you to use argon.

Unless it is really cold where you dive or you are diving helium in your backgas and you have a large enough tank or a separate tank to pre-purge your suit with argon several times before the dive it really isn't necessary.
So I guess I dive in the same general area as you, and my hands and feet are always cold. If I could get a "relatively" free argon setup out of my paint ball bottle (which it looks like I can't) then I thought that would help. I suspect I could get a pair of dry gloves for cheaper.

Drygloves will also keep your feet much warmer. Cold hands cause your body to shunt blood away from the extremeties and the decreased circulation in your feet makes them cold and exacerbates the vasoconstriction.

MechDiver:
Only if you don't want 3000 psi argon going into your drysuit.

Of course they need a regulator :rolleyes:

Just buy a scuba tank and read some of the threads here on what they do and how they're configured.

Ah Mech..... I love your posts..... you crack me up...hahaha... I can see the exhaust valve screaming into low orbit now...

Doesn't have to be expensive to run argon; new aluminum scuba cylinders are sub-$100 for a 6 or 13, including a k-valve. Took an old first stage (eBay, swap meet, trunk of a car...I think I paid $20 for a pretty nice one...I'm never breathing off of it, anyway) and $25 more for an OPV. Built a quick mount for the back of the rebreather, and just swapped the hose from my bailout regulator to my argon reg. $140, and if I'd have found a decent cylinder, used, around town, I probably could've halved that.

Argon is worth every penny for me as soon as I start into that second hour of the dive...

Uncle Pug:
Drygloves will also keep your feet much warmer.

I just recently switched to drygloves...my hands, feet and body are significantly warmer with this simple switch.

And wow MechDiver...what an image I had of some guy trying to explain to DUI why his drysuit exploded and all the seams simultaneously shredded...so...you mean I shouldn't have just vented the argon straight into the suit...:D

bwerb:
so...you mean I shouldn't have just vented the argon straight into the suit...:D

Well, I guess the next overriding DIR thread will be "Where do I mount my drysuit OPV?" :eyebrow:

MD

geraldp:
I suspect I could get a pair of dry gloves for cheaper.

Whether you go to argon or not, do the drygloves anyway. You'll be happy.

Do NOT ask me about venting drygloves :11:

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom