Converting fire extinguishers into SCUBA bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quimby:
Just like before, you are saying it for what reason, conjecture?
Is it against DOT , local ordances what and why is it dangerous ? The point is no it isnt a good idea but people who have no idea why, and whose only reply is "heresy" should not open there mouths on what needs just a little knowledge and a reasonable explanation which is in short supply around here.
Its not difficult, just give a little intelligent reasoning not STRONG phraseology without anything to go with it but ego

Fair enough.

I guess if he can get it hydro'd to current scuba standards then I would accept that as proof that it's safe. If it fails or they refuse to test it then I would draw the opposite conclusion.

Personally I would be very concerned about it blowing up upon filling. It's not like you're putting air into it with a bicycle pump.....I trust my intuition about this. The thing wasn't designed for this and without proof positive to the contrary I would sooner be wrong and overly cautious than to be wrong and cost someone a leg or worse....

R..

OK, this design is nt a ponybottle, but it will get you one or two breaths before you have to o CESA or hatever you call it in america, so supply list
2ltr Coke bottle,
One way bottle top,
funnel,
old tank,

OK, assuming most of you have old tanks this will work pretty easy,
Make one way bottle top, can be improvised by adding an extra item to you list a one way valve, cut the top of the bottle cap off and add the one way valve in place, but the one way valve must be thin enough to allow your funnel through and noting else, then ly down the coke bottle and place the funnel over the tank o-ring, insert the funnel intot he valve and quickly turn the tank on and off and just before you turn it off remember to take the funnel out very quickly after about half a second

By the way I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF THIS EQUIPMENT WHAT I HAVE DESCRIBED IN THIS POST OR ANYWHERE ELSE THIS INFORMATION IS POSTED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY HOWEVER IF YOU DO CHOOSE TO USE THIS EQUIPMENT AS DESCRIBED YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ON THE BASIS THAT YOU POST A DIVE REPORT ON THE BOARD AFTERWARDS

Go ahead and flame me if this is a totally dumb question, but is there any reason why you shouldn't use an fire extinguisher tank as an Ar cylinder for drysuit inflation (strictly not for breating, tank marked properly, etc?)

Has anyone done this and able to offer suggestions?

Dev

Henryville:
Go ahead and flame me if this is a totally dumb question, but is there any reason why you shouldn't use an fire extinguisher tank as an Ar cylinder for drysuit inflation (strictly not for breating, tank marked properly, etc?)

Dev

More like there's no reason why you should. Threads are often different, task is different, you'll need to buy a valve anyway, and 6/13 cf scuba cylinders are cheap.

The only reason for not using a CO2 fire extinquisher might be pressure rating. They are usually lower pressures ie 1250 - 1500 psi. I used an old O2 bottle , just changed the valve to a K valve. 13 cuft works nicely. Rated 2015 psi, same as storage pressure of my local argon supplier.

You will need a filling hose though.
Most argon suppliers don't have a scuba yoke filler valve.

Mike D

Henryville:
is there any reason why you shouldn't use an fire extinguisher tank as an Ar cylinder for drysuit inflation (strictly not for breating, tank marked properly, etc?)

Dev

Henryville:

Dev

As pointed out above, Fire extinguishers are very low pressure tanks (400 psi) so you aren't going to get a lot of argon in the thing.

Secondly, Fire extinguishers use a different thread than SCUBA tank so putting a valve on it will probably be a custom job at a millwright's shop.

Probably cheaper and easier to use a small pony bottle.

Ontario Diver:
As pointed out above, Fire extinguishers are very low pressure tanks (400 psi) so you aren't going to get a lot of argon in the thing.

Secondly, Fire extinguishers use a different thread than SCUBA tank so putting a valve on it will probably be a custom job at a millwright's shop.

Probably cheaper and easier to use a small pony bottle.

Thanks to all for the good points. Musing of a slow afternoon, figuring I could get an empty extinguisher cheap. 400 psi wouldn't be worth it, plus the thread problem which I didin't realize. The O2 tank is a good idea.

Thanks again,

Dev

Henryville:

Dev
I was thinking about using my paintball gun tank. It's aluminum, holds 3000 psi. I can't decipher the size from the stamp, but it looks like its about 6 cu. ft - just about right for an argon tank. The only drawback to this tank is that it's short and fat, not long and skinny. So all I should have to do is swap out the valve, and switch my drysuit hose off of my regulator onto the new valve.

That brings up a dumb question: What kind of valves/connectors do you need to connect an argon tank to your drysuit? Surely they don't need their own regulator do they?

geraldp:
Surely they don't need their own regulator do they?

Only if you don't want 3000 psi argon going into your drysuit.

Of course they need a regulator :rolleyes:

Just buy a scuba tank and read some of the threads here on what they do and how they're configured.

Actually, that is just what you do, use a standard scuba valve and a standard first stage. Trying to bleed gas from an HP tank without a regulator is just too erratic and dangerous. There are dedicated argon regs that combine the valve and reg into one unit, but they aren't very popular since it's easier and cheaper to use an old scuba 1st.

Your little paintball tank probably tanks, like O2 and extinguisher tanks, probably takes a smaller valve than is normally used for scuba, so you'd run up against the same problem.

geraldp:
That brings up a dumb question: What kind of valves/connectors do you need to connect an argon tank to your drysuit? Surely they don't need their own regulator do they?

Back
Top Bottom