COOLPIX Shooters in the House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I shoot a Coolpix 4300, with a Fantasea CP-4 housing. I like the camera except for not being able to turn it on or off underwater. Battery life is about 90 minutes so I have two and a after market charger that works off the car's lighter socket. This camera needs an external strobe to counteract the backscatter.

first you'll need a strobe to get the flash away from your lens(backscatter). i'm sure you've heard that if you think you're close enough to your subject, get closer. that's true . and get the biggest memory card you can get and just shoot everything that moves. i've shot a thousand frames off of n.j. and have yet to get one i can enlarge and frame(close but still trying) clear water makes things easier.i've got tons of pics from the carib that i hang.in the tortugas you may get away without a strobe and still get nice shots. as far as the strobe goes i like ikelite but its a matter of preferance i suppose. oh yeah,i like to keep a moisture muncher dessicant (sea & sea) in my housing.it keeps condesation from forming. try to wedge it in somewhere so it can't roll around and maybe get in front of your lens.i lost a fuji years ago because it developed what the camera tech called a micro-climate inside the camera.a crystalline formation started growing on the inside of the lens clouding it up.i loved thet camera too. sob, sob. hope this helped. have fun, and tell mr. tortuga i said hi.

I borrowed a housing for my coolpix 4300 when I was at the Red Sea. My experiences were very good. First, the water was very clear. I had few backscatter problems. Second, the air is very dry. I didn't use any dessicant and had no problems. Certainly if I were shooting in NJ or New England, things would be different. I would highly recommend a strobe and the wide angle/macro lens set.

From my own experience, I found it easiest to shoot in automatic. Put the lens on macro focus (2nd button from the left on the bottom). Exposures came out best when I used - 1/3 or - 2/3 exposure compensation. It darkened the blue and the flash didn't overpower.

I can post a few pics if you like.

Thaks for the great advice everybody, I'd love to see some pics if you feel like posting.

Coolpix 995, Aquatica 995 housing and DS 125 strobe

Coolpix 995, Ikelite housing, DS-50, SS-100a. Just got to shoot it in the Channel Islands last Monday for the first time in over a year.

Anybody got any pics from their Coolpix setup? I just bought a 4300 with housing and strobe for my underwater setup.

Heh, thats fantastic. Thats the exact same setup I just bought. Good to know I can get decent pics out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom