COOLPIX Shooters in the House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought the coolpix 4600 but haven't purchased the housing or strobes yet. I haven't been underwater for 6 months but looking to get back in the water in August hopefully.

I love my 4500 but haven't taken it in the water. The **!! housing cost more than the camera. So I've been using this piece of junk fixed focus FILM camera I got from my local dive shop. I think my 4500 cries when it sees me suit up and reach for that big clunky yellow poor excuse for a camera.

nauifins73:
Coolpix 995, Aquatica 995 housing and DS 125 strobe

What she said with another DS 125.

Joe

A good friend of mine has nearly convinced me to sell my Nikonos V equipment and get a 5600 and housing. His pictures are awesome. He has a 44" Epson printer that makes beatiful prints. I really would like the versatility of the digital camera but I am spoiled with the Nikon D70 but I can't afford a housing for it. The 5600 is a financially suitable solution but then I start looking at the 5900 and 7900. They have some pluses and minuses. Mostly the battery difference. Anyone have any words of wisdom here? I hate to give up my Nikonos.
Russ

Hey all,

I've been shooting a Coolpix 4300 in Fantasea CP4 pro housing for the past year, with the Epoque ES 150 DS optical slave strobe.

Got some fun shots in the Channel Islands last year. Check my website http://www.joshumsted.com and browse the galleries if you'd like to see what the camera can do.

Here in the Monterey Bay, however, where visibility is considerably less and backscatter from crud in the water is a bigger issue, I've been frustrated for the past year, having captured only a few useable images. Can't completely blame the camera as shooting in these conditions is tough for even the best u/w photographers.

I've just upgraded to dSLR, being a "real" photographer by nature, I found the Coolpix too limiting for a number of reasons. Here are some things I don't like about my Coolpix rig, and why I'm selling it:

1.) Shutter lag. 'nuff said 'bout that. Frustrates the heck outta me.
2.) Slow writing to the CF card. Couldn't say exactly how long it takes to save a full res jpeg, but it's in the 15 second range. Try saving an uncompressed TIF and, well, it's just unreasonably slow.
3.) With the Fantasea housing I have further issues. No on/off (though turning off LCD between shots helps save battery life considerably.
4.) Only 2 apertures on the Coolpix, f/2.8 and f/7.6. When using the external strobe, at least with my non-ttl strobe, it's necessary to shoot in manual mode. Having only two apertures is seriously limiting.
5.) Can't use zoom with Fantasea. There's a rubber hood in the housing which surrounds the lens. At the longest focal length, the lens binds with that hood causing the camera to lock up. Fantasea recommended removing the rubber hood. I opted not to do that and shoot at a fixed focal length, figuring the hood was there to serve a purpose, to keep extraneous light from entering where I didn't want it to enter.
6.) No control button for the camera menu. This is a BIGGIE. The main thing is that one can't get to the white balance control in the menu, meaning you have to go with automatic white balance. It's subtle, but often it's very useful to set white balance manually for given light conditions, using a white slate or other such method. All that would take is one more control button on the housing. Fantasea explained that they were trying to keep cost down. Hey man, it's just ONE MORE button. I believe one can access the camera menu on the Ikelite housing.

Don't get me wrong. The Coolpix takes awesome pics. The optics are superb for the price. The small package is convenient for diving and doesn't get in the way when clipped off to either shoulder D ring (if you have those.) I've been a loyal Nikon dude for many years. After a while, though, if you're into the photography thing, you may find yourself wanting more.

That said, my new rig is a D70s, DS 125, Ikelite iTTL housing, 28-80mm kit lens. I hope the housing ships SOON as the camera and strobe will be here tomorrow. From there, as with all things SCUBA, my credit card will probably never cool off entirely. :)

My rig will be for sale soon as the new housing arrives.

Best of luck,

Josh

Just purchased a Coolpix 5600 and WP-CP3 with an external can't wait to use it at Cayman Brac. I should have it on Monday. Anyone have any cool tips on using this setup?

i do have some tips but i'm so jealous that you are going to cayman that i'm not sharing! just kidding. there's a lot of stuff in "tips and techniques" and other posts. search this site.

We've got a little Coolpix 3100 in an Ikelite housing. So far it seems to do just fine as a point and shoot. It sure could use a strobe however. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom