COOLPIX Shooters in the House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a coolpix 4500. Don't really like the housing they make for it, the outside controls are difficult.
Would like some recommendations on strobes for night photography without breaking the bank. One of these days I want to upgrade to something that can get better wide angle and telephoto as well but I'm super pleased with my macro capabilities.

I have a coolpix 4500. Don't really like the housing they make for it, the outside controls are difficult.
Would like some recommendations on strobes for night photography without breaking the bank. One of these days I want to upgrade to something that can get better wide angle and telephoto as well but I'm super pleased with my macro capabilities.

What housing do you have for your 4500? With that somebody can help you out with strobes. I am very happy with the TTL controlled DS-125 (Ikelite) and would definitely recommend them. If you have considered a new housing, have you looked at the Ikelite?

It's cheap, but it works -- and I won't be heartbroken if the 4300 drowns, since it's about 6 years old and beyond "ancient." I'm now looking at the Nikon S550 or the S210 -- but I'm concerned that neither can be operated manually. That's one of the things I like about the 4300. As others have noted, I don't like the inability to shift to video mode once it's in the housing.
tom

Attachments

• DSCN4497a.jpg
    DSCN4497a.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3656a.jpg
    DSCN3656a.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 68
Coolpix P4 with the Fantasea housing & a Sea&Sea YS-60 via the HW adapter and a Sea&Sea Wide angle lens.

I also have a P5000 that I wanted to get a housing for until I saw the rumors about the P6000. Now I'm thinking of selling this and the P4 (and the housing) to finance the P6k and a housing for it.

I also just inhertided a coolpix S3. I was able to get a brand new Nikon housing on ebay for it pretty cheap. Nothing serious, but I figure it should make a good "always have with me" camera.

@Tom, if you want to stay in the Coolpix S line, check out the newly released s710. It has PASM & a 28mm lens in the same small package. I don't know of any housings for it yet, but I'll wager that Fantasea will come out with one shortly.

Thanks, R. I'm not wedded to the Coolpix S-series, mainly that's the price point I'm comfortable with at this stage of my diving/life. But your note prompted me to take a look at some other models and the P60 looks quite attractively priced with features that I really like. It's under $200, got the attributes I'm looking for in a P&S (8.1 megapixels, 5x zoom, 2.5 inch monitor, manual exposure), and I can get an Ike housing for under $250. My only question concerns compatability of the Fantasea Coolpix Nano flash and, more important, the tray. Will it connect properly to the Ike housing? (I would guess so, assuming the threads would be standard, but one never knows...) I wish I could drop $1300 for a housing for my Canon Rebel XT, but I'm not that rich. Yet. :wink:

hey, all! I've added two archive threads for the Coolpix - the 4500 and the P5000.

If there are other models you are using, please drop me a PM so I can get threads added for them, too!

Thanks, R. I'm not wedded to the Coolpix S-series, mainly that's the price point I'm comfortable with at this stage of my diving/life. But your note prompted me to take a look at some other models and the P60 looks quite attractively priced with features that I really like. It's under $200, got the attributes I'm looking for in a P&S (8.1 megapixels, 5x zoom, 2.5 inch monitor, manual exposure), and I can get an Ike housing for under $250. My only question concerns compatability of the Fantasea Coolpix Nano flash and, more important, the tray. Will it connect properly to the Ike housing? (I would guess so, assuming the threads would be standard, but one never knows...) I wish I could drop $1300 for a housing for my Canon Rebel XT, but I'm not that rich. Yet. :wink:

Tom,
The Ike housing won't fit the Fantasea tray without drilling it, which isn't too hard. I also sell the Nano with a modular tray and lighting system that is better suited to the Ike housing, albeit more expensive. You can buy it with or without a Fantasea or Olympus housing.

There probably won't be a Fantasea housing for the P60 the lens barrel is too long. I would buy one of the newer models over it anyway.

Jack

Just to keep this alive here are some recent 5400 topside (2MB) pictures. I would like an oppinion here. Does shooting at 5MB v. 2MB really make that much difference? I am printing 4 x 6, 5 x7 and even some 8 x 10 prints and they all look pretty good.

Attachments

• DSCN0298.jpg
    DSCN0298.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN0328.jpg
    DSCN0328.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 57
Hey, All - another reminder to head over to the dedicated specific camera thread and pop in your photos and a quick summary of pros/cons if you have any! The Nikon Niche is looking pretty empty for those threads :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom