Cooper River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoneybrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am heading to the Cooper River in SC for some black water diving. We are looking for teeth, pipes, bones etc. Anyone been there and done that and have some good lessons learned?

Who are you diving with? The best advice I can give is have a river pick, not a screwdriver, but then again a couple of operators will scream and tell you how stupid you are if you don't like their type of screwdriver.

Best advice is a GOOD light. You'll hit the bottom crawl around the gravel beds, looking and digging. Have a surface marker with you also. There are a number of stupid boaters in the area. Happy hunting.

Cooper River diving is a moving experience! River current, alligators, no visibility, underwater hazards, plus boaters and jet skis.

It's not for everyone, but the exhilaration of finding a 6" megladon tooth is absolutely memorable.

I learned to have either a large screwdriver or a dandelion digger with a wrist strap is an excellent tool to have. Also be sure to have a good clip on your goody bag.

Have fun!

What dive boat operator do you all recommend going with?

Also my brother has a boat I could use. Where are the locations you should go hunting for teeth?

Before diving black water, I recommend this site.
River Diving Technique and River Diving Equipment
It is extremely educational for the type of equipment a diver should use etc. The Cooper and Savannah Rivers are famous for their Megs and historical artifacts.
Carolyn:shark2:

The articles had some interesting info. The "requip" did have some very useful info on tools to use to pull yourself along and hold yourself against the current.

I have heard good things about about Cpt Tom. Big News Flash Water Temparature is now 64 Degrees as measured by the depth recorder on the boat 04/07/07 I hope you have a great time! But understand what you are getting into!:

I guess everyone has their own opinion. I was not impressed with him, especially when he kept telling me that the way I dived and equipment used on previous dives was dangerous and stupid. I prefer Capt. Phil Back Water Diversions Home Page

That is why this board is so useful, you get alot of information on dive operators. I haven't had the pleasure of diving the Cooper, so it was just an operator that a few from my shop have used without issues.

Happy hunting!
Carolyn:shark2:

Been there several times. It is my favorite dive except for the Mexican cenotes. Take a really big light (best a canister with goodman handle), a big goody bag tied to you so it does not drift away in the current, SMB, reel or just hold the smb as you surface. Screwdriver with a hole drilled in handle for a cord to go aroiund your wrist, way more weight than you have ever thought of using (I use 30 pounds vs normal 15-16) , use a big scuba tank as they are only 30 foot dives and you don't have to worry much about bottom time. Stay in the gravel. Sometimes I don't use fins, I just crawl, but fins are really handy for swimming back to the boat. I bought a cheap pair of knee pads in the Home Depot tile dept to save my wetsuit knees. LISTEN FOR PROPELLERS BEFORE GOING UP, use that SMB before going up, but some weekend boaters will drive up to it to see what it is. Finally, NEVER pull on the gator's tail. The big pink or white catfish are friendly but make you think of gators at first. You will probably see some eels as well, enjoy them, they will ignore you. I have never heard of the gators bothering divers in the water, but it would be foolish to walk in the reeds on the bank or to poke around an overhanging bank in the water.. Stay in the river or in the boat. Since the dives are relatively shallow you really don't have to worry about deco. That makes for very peaceful solo diving. Just do some surface interval time and hydrate well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom