Coral sea Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickt

Reaction score
I am going to the Coral Sea to dive on Aug 20th. Does any one know the recommended wet suit for this time of year. Do Ineed a 7 mil or will my 3 mil and a 2 mil vest be enough for 5 dives a day? Anything else I need to know?
Thanks for any advice
RickT

rickt:
I am going to the Coral Sea to dive on Aug 20th. Does any one know the recommended wet suit for this time of year. Do Ineed a 7 mil or will my 3 mil and a 2 mil vest be enough for 5 dives a day? Anything else I need to know?
Thanks for any advice
RickT

What part of the coral sea? Osprey reef, etc. is a bit too cool for a 3mm this time of year, particularly for 5 dives a day. (I would guess 76-78 is the temp right now.) I dive dry this time of year around here simply because I don't bother with wetsuits if a 3mm won't cut it.

I get by all year round, with just a Steamer and a pair of Long-Johns, and I'm 1200k's to the South of the Coral Sea near Brisbane. A 7mm will be very uncomfortable during the hot surface intervals up there, it entails a lot of changing into and out of wet wetsuits, which I HATE. LOL!

BTW: I Luv my Long-John 2 flicks of the velcro shoulder tabs and I just roll it down to the waist...dead easy, and no fuss;-)

Have a Dive Circus up there:D

WizFromOz

I think I am going with the 3 mil with a 2mil vest. Mike Ball's people rent 5mills to their customers so I guess that's it. Thanks again. I am in Brisebane now any suggestions for a day of diving.

rickt:
I think I am going with the 3 mil with a 2mil vest. Mike Ball's people rent 5mills to their customers so I guess that's it. Thanks again. I am in Brisebane now any suggestions for a day of diving.

in November in SPEEDO'S

rickt:
Thanks for any advice
RickT

I've just come off a 5 day dive trip of the Coral Sea and Ribbon Reefs on Nimord Explorer.

Water temperature at Osprey Reef was 26C, water temperature of the Ribbon Reefs varied from 24 - 25C.

Air temperature was around 25C which sounds nice but there was quite a bit of wind which combined with 5 dives a day made it feel a lot cooler.

I think a 5mm suit will be more than sufficient but just be aware that by the end of the day you'll still feel a little chilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom