coron or puerto galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamonica

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
we know the sort of diving there is in each place.
we like above by motor bike and blow the water exploring.
so given the choise, why and what would you do if u had the chance to do one or the other.??
thank you.

That's a very difficult question to answer!! I have been to both, and am going back to both in a month or so.

Last went to Coron three years ago, and have heard that it is a little more developed now... The locals were just finishing surfacing the road from the airport to Coron town back then. Amazing scenery, a kind of frontier feel to the place, and great wreck diving. Also a thermal lake to dive, and Cathedral Cave. This trip we are heading North West of Coron town for a few days, looking for the Dugong... We may be lucky, but I suspect very luck is more realistic! It will be interesting to see how the place has changed, but am sure will come away as impressed as after my first visit.

Have made three visits to PG.. Different type of resort and different type of diving. Great reef diving, great macro, a wreck or two, and Verde Island too!

There is no answer to your question.. Try and do both.. If you are flying into Manilla it is easily possible to do both in a fortnight.

Two different types of diving.
Regardless of all the inconveniences such as domestic flight, luggage allowance, travelling to the sites, lack of nightlife, lack of selection of restaurants etc etc. I would prefer Coron over PG any time.
Good wrecks(several within a relative short distance) are rather difficult to find as compare with coral reefs.
I can think of several places in Philippines which offer better diving than PG eg. General Santos, Malapascua and Southern Leyte but NOT for wrecks over Coron.

If you want to explore Busuanga by motor bike, I would recommend that you have a some experience on a bike. Small bikes can be rented for 500-800 pesos per day. The roads after the airport are loose gravel. I have seen a few tourists hit the front brake and lay down. But the north side is beautiful. One really nice spot is Bulwang. It is a local fishing village, less than ten nippa huts, and a nice quiet beach. There are a few swimming holes that you can stop and cool off in. The two most well known would be YKR by the airport and one by Conception. If you decide to visit us in Coron, send me a pm. I can help you out with different places to stay outside of Coron town during you motorcycle tour, and in Coron as well.

@dive-boarder- there are about a dozen dugong that live around Caluit Island. Dugong Divers on the northside takes divers and snorkelers out to look for them. The boat trolls the coastline with a spotter looking for them. I don't know how often they are successful. There are other spots to see them, but not commercially.

Back
Top Bottom