Coronado Islands May 7th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rouky:
I've never been there... so you better tell me what to look for unless you want my own maker to show it to me.

They usually only go to the Key-Hole on really calm days.

http://www.divebums.com/main.html look under dive sites, Los Coronados - Keyhole.

The Keyhole sits near the southern end of North Island, where several small openings exist in an archway connecting the main body of North Island to a smaller peak just south. Even on calm days the ocean swell, unobstructed for many hundreds of miles, pumps through these passthroughs. This is not a site for the inexperienced and not a site for anything but calm days. We had our compass reading wrong on the return, and got washed up against the walls.......hmmmm.

Rouky:
I've never been there... so you better tell me what to look for unless you want my own maker to show it to me.

If you see large amounts of white bubbles in the water, greatly reducing visibility, don't swim towards them (like Roy did), that would be a white bubbles caused from water slamming against rocks.

Swim away from them (like I did). If your buddy doesn't do the same surface in 1 minute to check on their status (e.g - washed, unwashed, tumbled, etc.)

Keyhole is a great site! Especially the slot going between the islands.

scottfiji:
If you see large amounts of white bubbles in the water, greatly reducing visibility, don't swim towards them (like Roy did), that would be a white bubbles caused from water slamming against rocks.

Swim away from them (like I did). If your buddy doesn't do the same surface in 1 minute to check on their status (e.g - washed, unwashed, tumbled, etc.)

Keyhole is a great site! Especially the slot going between the islands.

Thanks for the nice description and the warning (might take some shampoo for the washing machine).
I hope the weather will be nice and no (or minimal) swell....

Erik

One thing that I want to do next time I dive the keyhole is to swim around the southern half of the island (very small) and return through the keyhole. The current was ripping the last time we were there, but a few people swam around the southern half and back through the keyhole.

divebuddysean:
One thing that I want to do next time I dive the keyhole is to swim around the southern half of the island (very small) and return through the keyhole. The current was ripping the last time we were there, but a few people swam around the southern half and back through the keyhole.

Does anyone have an idea what the condition will be on saturday going to Coronado Islands? (I guess it must be close to the condition for San Clemente...)
Any chance they might cancel the trip? Where would Dive Connections usually go instead?

Erik

Back
Top Bottom