Cost of AOW classes....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OW cost me around $500 ($250 for the class and pool work & $250 for the two tank boat dives and 2 dives in Morrison Springs, Florida) Looking back, I think I got hosed.
AOW combined with Nitrox cost me $250 including 4 Nitrox tanks and 5 air tank dives. Looking back, I think I got a great deal. Both courses included all books & materials.

$200 for AOW course, materials, and cert .. + $50 for the ferry ride out to Catalina for the wreck and deep part of class (nav and night were shore dives) .. most expensive of my certs, I signed up for all my others with 2 for 1 deals and such.
Because of my instructor, It was great fun and great dives, and I learned much because of him, and of my being such a new diver.
I think you'll like it .. as has been said, ask questions of your instructor and get a good one that will expand your dive knowledge

Well I did take an OW refresher last year with this same shop, and there were only 3 other students there (getting their OW cert.) Average class size they told me was 4 or 5. so class size wasn't too big. I was impressed with the instructor, because there was one student who was very uncomfortable taking his mask off and clearing it underwater (freaked and shot out of the pool once), and rather than trying to get him to do the bare minimum, they ended up bringing him back to do a lot more work in the pool on several different days until he was comfortable (instructor told me later he threw the mask in the bottom of the pool and told him to swim down and put it on). To me, that said that they weren't just trying to get your money and get you out the door.

I can see where being a proficiant swimmer just might come in handy while scuba diving. I was required to do a non stop 200 yd surface swim (no fins, mask or wetsuit)followed up with a 10 min session of treading water. I got a late start on the swim, caught up to my group with about 50 yds to go, and we all finished together. While treading water I did start to envy the fat guy. He was laying on his back bobbing around on the surface like a beach ball while I have to tread water like mad. If I stop treading water I sink like a rock!

Knowing what one is capable of doing makes for one less thing to stress over.
Brent

Sorry folks! how on earth did I post this in the wrong thread????
My apologies.
just call me a big dummy!

DawgDiver:
So my LDS offers specialty classes for $99 ea. but offers 4 classes needed for AOW for $299, savings of $100 off regular price. Is 300 bucks about the going rate for AOW?

a speciality course and the advance course are 2 different animals..
we charge $295. for advance ow..includes boat fee in LI sound..does not include boat fee in ocean for deep and wrick dive,both done on same day..
I do complementary free -advance ow or nitrox for students when on a facility sponsered trip to the islands as a thankyou for traveling with us..advance is 5 dives in padi system...

DawgDiver:
So my LDS offers specialty classes for $99 ea. but offers 4 classes needed for AOW for $299, savings of $100 off regular price. Is 300 bucks about the going rate for AOW?
Like Oly5050 said for AOW you take only Adventure classes. Specialty classes are for the MSD. One thing to consider too is to how you want to continue after AOW. Does the LDS give you credit of the adventure dives. If I were now in your position I'd rather take Specialty courses (and Rescue class)...

MBH:
I can see where being a proficiant swimmer just might come in handy while scuba diving. I was required to do a non stop 200 yd surface swim (no fins, mask or wetsuit)followed up with a 10 min session of treading water. I got a late start on the swim, caught up to my group with about 50 yds to go, and we all finished together. While treading water I did start to envy the fat guy. He was laying on his back bobbing around on the surface like a beach ball while I have to tread water like mad. If I stop treading water I sink like a rock!

Knowing what one is capable of doing makes for one less thing to stress over.
Brent

Sorry folks! how on earth did I post this in the wrong thread????
My apologies.
just call me a big dummy!
Actually, if you lay on your back, taking deep, slow breaths you shouldnt sink.. Its a matter of practice tho.. I have never been "the fat guy" but ive been able to float for as long as I remember even in freshwater. That said, ive always been bathing a lot in the rivers and lakes where i grew up..

DawgDiver:
Is 300 bucks about the going rate for AOW?

More or less, depending what 's included.

(2006)
NAUI DVD/Book package was $60-$70 ?
Course Fee: $225
Boat fee (surprise!) $60

Pete

oly5050user:
a speciality course and the advance course are 2 different animals..
we charge $295. for advance ow..includes boat fee in LI sound..does not include boat fee in ocean for deep and wrick dive,both done on same day..
I do complementary free -advance ow or nitrox for students when on a facility sponsered trip to the islands as a thankyou for traveling with us..advance is 5 dives in padi system...

From what I understand the SSI AOW certification consists of Deep, Wreck, Night, Nav/low viz, and that's what the $300 is for, but if you take those classes at this shop seperately, it's $99 ea., whereas you get a $100 discount for signing up for them all at once.

DawgDiver:
From what I understand the SSI AOW certification consists of Deep, Wreck, Night, Nav/low viz, and that's what the $300 is for, but if you take those classes at this shop seperately, it's $99 ea., whereas you get a $100 discount for signing up for them all at once.

SSI has a different model as I recall. Don't they do 2 dives of each required /chosen type to make it more of a full exposure? Most agencies make one dive per type as a crash course introduction/teaser.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom