Cost of Tec Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha. Actually, racing cars is cheaper than diving in my experience! :wink: (my partner races).

I dunno what kind of racing your partner is doing, but diving is definitely cheaper in my experience (went through 2 BMWs and all their associated parts/tires).

I dunno what kind of racing your partner is doing, but diving is definitely cheaper in my experience (went through 2 BMWs and all their associated parts/tires).

I dunno what kind of racing, the one where you go around tracks in a car. :rofl3: His car was about 20k, mechanical work is usually free (he does himself or his uncle does it), tyres and parts he gets pretty cheaply usually by hunting around a lot. Races twice a month.

It might be expensive for him actually but I do spend a HUGE amount of money on diving :wink:

edit: ok he tells me "Super Sprints and Hill Climbs" and that most people spend a lot more money than he does!

Teach to pay for insurance, dues, and some diving. Do not take overly expensive trips. Day job pays the bills. Kids grown and gone, GF who is very good with money and setting priorities for it, and I don't need warm water and reefs. Tech while working lots of OT to pay for the gear. Breaks on initial cert costs for teaching and assisting. Cheap rent. Truck is nice and in good shape but it's an 03. And now writing helps to offset some costs as well.

Well ADeadlierSnake I have managed to remain legal thus far when it comes to fund raising for dive gear. It has not been painless though!
I have forgone countless hours of hunting, fishing, and used every penny of funds that I could spare, reallocate, recycle.
I have taken items; firearms, etc. traded or sold them to fund dive gear.
My overtime, bonus, and all my other means of extra cash is dedicated to diving.

If you think I am lying ask my wife, she will give you more than a few things that are in need of repair that well lets say continue to be overlooked.
Sometime honesty stinks but hey we are all in the same boat, TOTALLY ADDICTED TO SCUBA!
It really did not get expensive till I started into the Tech realm and then the initial step was the tip of the ice berg.
Now with several sets of doubles, numerous tanks, 8 sets of regs that are mine, but the gear is the cheapest part of it.
The travel is the most expensive and $4-$5 a gallon helps out a lot.

Bottom line I used my time as a DM to build relationships with other divers and LDS's this has lead to many great deals.
Cave diving has made it very obvious that I need to move closer to FL and vacation in the Great Lakes in the summer wreck diving.
I could dive literally every weekend and still not get enough of it!
If you get the itch look out you are hooked for good!

My advice is to start out right with a good set of BM doubles set up right with a dry suit and find a good mentor.
The rest will fall in place as your experience builds.
There are many different paths to follow but one thing I found is not to limit yourself or say, "I will never" that only means in a few years YOU WILL BE DOING IT!
Good luck.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I'd really rather work in an averagely interesting job Mon-Fri 9-5, earn six figures and dive whenever I want rather than whereever I am asked to.

My sentiments exactly!

Tech or cave diving is expensive. BUT -- expensive is relative. Where we used to board our horses was $1K a month PER HORSE, but that didn't include turnout and feeding supplements, which was another $250 or so per month . . . $125 every six weeks for shoes, $600 a month for lessons and training, and a single local horse show runs about $1k for a weekend. Tech diving, even at the $200 a day that Errol is asking for his T1 dives in Florida, looks like a pretty inexpensive hobby to me :)

Tech diving, even at the $200 a day that Errol is asking for his T1 dives in Florida, looks like a pretty inexpensive hobby to me :)

I don't know, I think it's pretty expensive (and that's not counting airfare, hotel, food, car rental, tips, etc) when you're paying all that for only 20-25 minutes of bottom time! :wink:

The lame part is, sometimes those few minutes are worth the cost of admission (though I must say, I've done way more ho hum T1 dives than great ones...).

My wife and I are both really into diving. I took a job in Guam just to dive, we wanted to relocate so that we could be closer to better dive destinations. I am fortunate as I have a high paying job, yet still work a regular schedule and have weekends off.
Even with moving closer to great diving, the travel is still expensive. The cost of technical training, equipment, gas fills, and even more equipment is expensive but the cost of dive travel is comparable.
We make diving a priority, so the expense is just part of what we choose to do.

My wife is an X-ray and Mammography technician, but she now teaches middle school science and now has summer, spring break, and Christmas off.

Having the time is an equal factor to the money at times. That being said....we're headed to Palau in a couple of weeks. :wink:

-Mitch

Until a few years ago I raced motorcycles. If I didn't crash, it cost me around a grand a weekend, so in comparison, technical diving is relatively inexpensive. When I did crash (if you're not crashing, you're not racing), the costs went up exponentially.

I'm a murse (male nurse) in an ER, and my wife is a GI doctor. Like you, I would love to make a career out of diving, but as most know, it's a tough venture.

Tech Diving can be very expensive as already stated. You never tell your wife what you have spent, or what things costs. Don' try to keep count of costs, you will go mad :demented: Depending on where you want to end up, costs can be $10K plus easy!!!!

I think there is another, non-financial, reason for having a non-diving job to fill the most part of the day. I worry a little that if diving was what paid my bills, too soon it would start to feel like work, and a lot of the simple joy of it might go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom