Could use SE Florida/Key Largo advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from Largo yesterday. We stayed at the Marriott Key Largo. It's very nice, clean & pricy; but we got a special rate as long as we dove through It's a Dive - the facility onsite. The dive shop has a secure place for you to rinse and store your gear. The staff at the dive shop was very professional, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. We did 3 days of Reef dives with them and some of the conditions were rough with 5'-7' Waves. We used the dive shop next door to the Hotel, Quiessence, for the Speigel Grove. (It's a Dive's 6 pack was not in operation at the time). Anyway, we hired a private Guide (Mike) and since it was our first trip out there he really gave us a good tour of the Stern and the Cargo area. I'd recommend both dive shops and I plan to dive with them again.

Good luck and have fun!:wink:

We just got back from diving with Brent in Largo - great dive op, very friendly and safety-conscious. Will definitely dive with him again.

Cheap lodgings -- cheap is a relative term. We stayed at Island Bay Resort for $134 a night plus tax and stayed in a charming cottage with a beach/dock right on site. Comfortable beds, super clean and safe, grill and fridge in/on the unit so we could make our own food and not have to eat out every night. Bonus: there's a Dairy Queen right across the street from the place, so we got the chocolate-dipped ice cream cone hook-up after diving. I thought it was a great value, even though the price was a few bucks more than the cheapest hotel around.

CPDiver:
I just got the golden hall pass and will be in FLA for some R&R later this week and next. :)

I could sure use some advice since this unplanned trip is just a few days away.

2) Any reccomendations on a shop to dive the Spiegel Grove with in Largo?

3) I know this is an absolutely crazy question, but does anyone know of any reasonably priced motels/lodging in Key Largo that just might be available for a couple of nights during Easter week? I will be flying solo so all I need is a clean room. Like I said I know this is probably and insane question.

Thanks for any advice you can share with a sun starved New Yorker.

2) In order of preference... Divers City USA... 3 tank dive package... Island Ventures ... double dip on the Grove package... Silent World...

3) Hungry Pelican... in Florida City there are a couple... Holiday Inn Express... Red Roof Inn...

erdoc1:
We just got back from diving with Brent in Largo - great dive op, very friendly and safety-conscious. Will definitely dive with him again.

Cheap lodgings -- cheap is a relative term. We stayed at Island Bay Resort for $134 a night plus tax and stayed in a charming cottage with a beach/dock right on site. Comfortable beds, super clean and safe, grill and fridge in/on the unit so we could make our own food and not have to eat out every night. Bonus: there's a Dairy Queen right across the street from the place, so we got the chocolate-dipped ice cream cone hook-up after diving. I thought it was a great value, even though the price was a few bucks more than the cheapest hotel around.

Dairy Queen across the street! Say no more. :)

Thanks

For what it's worth, and if you haven't already left, I think Conch Republic Divers out of Tavernier is the best thing going. I'd been out with several operators in the Upper Keys and then I found CRD. They treat you like you've been going there forever, are very accommodating on the types of dives you may want to do, and they don't run Cattle. Believe me, there's a reason Scubadiving magazine readers voted them the best dive op in the Upper Keys.

I couldn't find what the rules about commercial postings are, so here goes - I work at Amoray Dive Resort (MM 104) and we have some rooms available during Easter Week, and we dive the Spiegel Grove every Friday afternoon and the Duane every Tuesday morning. Give us a call at 1-800-4Amoray.
-Kristina

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom