Could use your prayers and if in Spokane area your help (update, they found her body)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My "cubicle mate" is a wonderful gentleman named Hobe and his daughter is missing in Spokane. Your prayers are needed and any help searching would be greatly appreciated. Amy is bi-polar and has not taken her medication since Saturday and according to Hobe she probably isn't lucid. She is outside in 50ish degree weather with rain in the forecast. The Sheriff has already told them once it rains they probably won't find her in the condition the family is hoping for, alive. The report was she was seen picking up papers by the road in the Deer Park area (Dragoon Creek Battlefield is what Hobe told me) but we all know how accurate reporters are. I've attached the links and text from some of the local papers for your information.

The Associated Press

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A search is under way in the Deer Park area for a Spokane woman who has been missing since Saturday.

Relatives of Amy Wheelock reported her missing after she failed to arrive at a family dinner.

A tip yesterday led searchers to the area of the Dragoon Creek Campground north of Spokane.

Police Search for Missing Woman
KHQ-TV
SPOKANE, Wash. - Right now police are requesting your help finding a missing woman. Police are searching for 26 year old Amy Wheelock missing from 300 East Wedgewood.

Amy was last seen wearing blue jeans and a pink tank top when she walked away from her apartment Saturday evening. Wheelock's father filed a missing person's report on Sunday, September 23, when she failed to show for a family dinner. She also failed to show for a doctor's appointment today.

Wheelock suffers from a mental illness. Anyone with information is urged to call 911.

Search for Spokane Woman Continues
KHQ-TV
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Sheriff's Dept. and their new helicopter have joined with police as they continue the search for 26-year-old Spokane woman Amy Wheelock, who's now been missing for four days.

Family members became concerned when Wheelock failed to show for a family dinner on Sunday night, so Wheelock's father filed a missing persons report. He says she did not take her car, cell phone and wallet.

Wheelock also failed to show for a Monday afternoon doctor's appointment . She suffers from mental illness.

Wheelock is described as 5'6", 210 lbs, with brown hair and brown eyes. She was wearing blue jeans and a pink shirt when she was last seen leaving her apartment at 300 E. Wedgewood.

Anyone who may have seen Wheelock is urged to call 911.

Spokane Woman Goes Missing on Walk
by: Amy Cannata

A 26-year-old Spokane woman disappeared Saturday evening, leaving behind her car, purse and cell phone, and now her parents are desperately seeking information about what happened. Amy Wheelock was last seen walking near the Northpointe Plaza shopping center.

Wheelock set off on a walk wearing a green T-shirt, blue jeans and possibly flip-flop sandals.

"There has been no activity on her bank accounts. There's been no contact with her tremendous circle of friends. There's been nothing," said Wheelock's father, Robert Wheelock, who lives in Coeur d'Alene.

Robert Wheelock spent the day Tuesday distributing fliers about Amy Wheelock to merchants in north Spokane.

She has missed church, a doctor's appointment and work

Amy Wheelock's roommates said she didn't say where she was going or when she would be back, but they grew concerned when she didn't return Saturday evening, said Amy Wheelock's mother, Meloney Hall.

Hall said her daughter once served in the U.S. Air Force but has lived in Spokane since 2002. Wheelock moved there to be closer to her father.

Hall, who lives in Dayton, Ohio, said she's concerned that her daughter hasn't taken medication for her bipolar disorder since Saturday.

Though Wheelock suffers from a mental disorder, Hall said her daughter is coherent and she doesn't believe that Wheelock would willingly leave behind family and friends. Hall thinks she may have been abducted.

"She's clear-headed. She probably just went for a short walk," Hall said.

Wheelock's address is at an apartment complex at 325 E. Wedgewood Ave. She is described as 5 feet, 6 inches tall and about 210 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information about Wheelock is asked to call 911.

Search for Missing Woman Expands
by: Jody Lawrence-Turner

The search for a missing Spokane woman will resume Friday with out-of-town family, friends, police and some strangers -- but few leads.

A helicopter, dogs, motorcycle officers and nearly 40 volunteers searched areas around Dragoon Creek Park in northern Spokane County on Thursday.

Fliers are going out, and family is spreading the word in hopes something will turn up.

“My daughter has lived in Spokane for five years. I live in Ohio,” said an emotional Meloney Hall, Wheelock’s mother. “But I’m not supposed to be here when she’s (not here). Please make her here when I’m here. Bring her to me.”

Amy Wheelock, 26, left her apartment in the 300 block of East Wedgewood Avenue Saturday night telling her roommate, “I’m going for a walk,” in an unusual terse tone, said Katie Smith, who has lived with Wheelock for four months.

Police have received reports of someone fitting the young woman’s description walking north on Division Street near the Northpointe Plaza shopping center, near the Dragoon Creek Campground and, most recently, on Deer Park-Milan Road.

She left behind her car, purse and cell phone and has missed church, a doctor’s appointment and work. Wheelock was last seen wearing a green T-shirt, blue jeans and possibly flip-flop sandals.

Wheelock, who was diagnosed as bi-polar in 2002, had been withdrawn from her normal activities in the week before she disappeared, friends and family said. But she’s never disappeared like this, they said.

Hall flew in from Dayton, Ohio, on Wednesday to start searching for her daughter. Hall was joined by two of her sisters, from Alabama and Arizona. Another aunt will arrive Saturday from Texas.

On Thursday, the trio gathered at Dragoon Creek Campground with other family members, friends and people who just felt compelled to help. The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office and Spokane Police arrived soon after.

Sheldon Georgiades of Springdale brought his basset hound, Jackson. He heard about the missing woman on the news.

“I’ve used him at home to search for animals, never humans,” but he’s good,” Georgiades said. “I came to help, not hinder.”

After the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office search and rescue crew arrived, a saggy-faced Jackson was turned away. Longer-legged search dogs were on the way. But Georgiades was asked to hand out fliers with Wheelock’s picture.

Smith brought a towel, a bra, two pillow cases and a T-shirt from the apartment the two shared to help the dogs get a scent. Smith said she was careful not to spread her own scent when picking up the items.

“I used a fork, put gloves on and pulled my hair back,” she said.

According to Hall, it was Wheelock’s roommate who first reported her missing.

Wheelock, who volunteers in a lab at Sacred Heart Medical Center, once served in the U.S. Air Force but has lived in Spokane since 2002, when she moved here to be closer to her father.

He was also helping with the search.

“We encourage all people who live along Highway 395 to walk their property,” said Bob Wheelock, a retired Dayton police sergeant. “This area is our only lead.”

Spokane Police and the Sheriff’s Office joined the search about 11 a.m. Thursday.

“Since Sunday morning I’ve been in contact with her dad,” said Spokane Police spokeswoman Officer Jennifer DeRuwe. “We didn’t have enough information to start searching until today.”

Spokane Police Lt. Dave McGovern said from talking to her dad, “she’s in this area and it’s time for us to ramp up the investigation. We don’t have a crime, but we’re concerned because of the amount of time (she’s been missing).”

The search on Thursday concluded as darkness fell, but the family set up a headquarters at a Deer Park Subway, Hall said. “Anyone who wants to can come to help, talk to the family or whatever.”

“I need help finding my daughter,” Hall said. “We’ll be there every night from 6 to 10 p.m. until she’s found or we go home.”

Jody Lawrence-Turner can be reached at (509) 459-5593 or jodyl@spokesman.com

Thank you to all in advance for your prayers and any assistance.
Ber

I won't be able to help Ber, but I will keep this situation in my prayers! I am hoping that any ScubaBoardians in this area will be able to carve some time from their busy schedules and HELP THESE PEOPLE OUT!

This morning I heard they found her body under a bridge. I'm glad they found her for the family's sake but it's heart-breaking to see them lose their daughter.

Body of missing woman found

September 30, 2007

A weeklong comprehensive search for a missing Spokane woman came to an end on Saturday.

A body matching the description of 26-year-old Amy Wheelock was found about 4:30 p.m. by a hunter, said Spokane County Sheriff’s Sgt. Chris Kehl.

No foul play is suspected, Kehl said. An autopsy likely will be performed on Monday. The body was found at the edge of a woods northeast of U.S. Highway 395 and Wild Rose Road.

“There was a very extensive effort to find her, and we were too late,” said her father, Robert Wheelock, who was on scene late Saturday.

Her family organized early search efforts, even setting up a headquarters at a Subway in Deer Park where her mom, Meloney Hall, said the family would be posted every night until she was found. Her father urged people who lived along Highway 395 to walk their property.

Wheelock had been missing since she left her apartment in the 300 block of East Wedgewood Avenue the night of Sept. 22 after telling her roommate that she was going for a walk. She left behind her car, purse and cell phone and missed church, a doctor’s appointment and work.

Robert Wheelock had been in contact with police since Sept. 23, but officials said they didn’t have enough information to start searching until Thursday. That day, a helicopter, dogs, motorcycle officers and nearly 40 volunteers combed areas around Dragoon Creek State Park, which is about a mile from where the body was found.

Police had received reports of someone fitting her description walking north on Division Street near the Northpointe Plaza shopping center, near the Dragoon Creek Campground and on Deer Park-Milan Road.

Amy Wheelock, a former member of the U.S. Air Force, was a volunteer in a lab at Sacred Heart Medical Center. She moved to Spokane in 2002 be closer to her father, a retired police sergeant who lives in Coeur d’Alene.

Wheelock, who was diagnosed as bi-polar in 2002, had been withdrawn from her normal activities in the week before she disappeared, friends and family said. But she had never disappeared like this, they said.

It's a sad deal. Obviously she was dealing with some very difficult issues. Like you, I'm gald the family knows what heppened to her.

My brother-in-law, Greg, often hunts in that area and found her body. He was quite shaken by this.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of this poor girl.

Aww dang... sorry to hear this
... prayers to you, the hunter, and the family

My thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences go out to the family, as well. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom