Missing diver found, dies - Farne Islands, UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Search for missing diver ends in tragedy
A diver who went missing off the coast of the Farne Islands died shortly after being found.

A search was launched by the Coastguard after the female diver disappeared just after 11am on Sunday.

After the woman went missing, the Coastguard revealed that they were coordinating a large search and rescue operation.

A spokesperson said at the time: “The Coastguard rescue helicopter is on scene along with lifeboats from Seahouses.

“Coastguard rescue teams from Holy Island and Seahouses are also looking out from high ground and other vessels in the area have been informed and are assisting.”

Lifeboat crews from Berwick and Craster also joined in the search alongside police officers before the woman was discovered.

The diver was found just before 2pm and crews were stood down.

Northumbria Police say the woman received medical attention at the scene but sadly died a short time later.

A Coastguard spokesperson added: “Unfortunately, it’s not the outcome anyone was hoping for.”

North East news RECAP: Missing diver found dead off the coast of Northumberland

The woman has not been named while her family are being informed of her death.

The Farne Islands are a rocky outcrop of islands, lying two or three miles off the Northumberland Coast, which are home to many types of seabird, including puffins and Atlantic grey seals.

The islands can only be reached by boat from the Northumberland coast.

Disappeared after surfacing? Two hard rules I've learned from these threads are to keep my reg in my mouth until I'm back on the boat, then talk, and practice ditching weights on the first dive of every trip - but I don't know if either would have helped her?
Search for diver missing off North East coast ends in tragedy
The woman disappeared after surfacing just after 11am while diving near the Farne Islands, Northumberland The Coastguard launched a search of the area, and at 2.30pm the diver was located. She received medical attention at the scene, but sadly died a short time later. No further details have been released by police or the Coastguard at this time.

Read more at: Search for diver missing off North East coast ends in tragedy

Last edited:
I dont think my wife or I have practiced ditching weights since our OW certification. I agree though, we are going to start doing so on our check out dives.

The regulator is something I have drilled into her since day 1. They dont come out until we are completely off the dive platform.

I dont think my wife or I have practiced ditching weights since our OW certification. I agree though, we are going to start doing so on our check out dives.

The regulator is something I have drilled into her since day 1. They dont come out until we are completely off the dive platform.

I'll take my reg out when I'm floating on the surface waiting, but put it back in my mouth before climbing the ladder on the boat, or walking through the surf zone on a shore dive if there's any significant surf.

Most dead divers found still have their weights attached. I was surprised at how clumsy I felt reaching for my releases the first time. It's also good to be sure you can remove your bud's.

I'll take my reg out when I'm floating on the surface waiting, but put it back in my mouth before climbing the ladder on the boat, or walking through the surf zone on a shore dive if there's any significant surf.
Many do, but I have chocked on a laryngospasm caused by a small amount of water. Scary. Panic is always waiting to enter a problem.

Most dead divers found still have their weights attached. I was surprised at how clumsy I felt reaching for my releases the first time. It's also good to be sure you can remove your bud's.

I can't recall the last time I pulled out my weights while under water, but do it all the time on the beach, to lighten my load while walking back to the car.

Most dead divers found still have their weights attached.

So did they die before they had a chance to drop their weights or did they die because they failed to drop their weights? One of those things is very much unlike the other.

So did they die before they had a chance to drop their weights or did they die because they failed to drop their weights? One of those things is very much unlike the other.
Some of each I suppose. I don't mean to change training standards or anything. Only to suggest that it's good to ditch weights in many emergencies, and it can help to practice such so that neither the idea nor ability is lost in a panic. I have no idea if that would have helped this poor lady.

Only the victims could answer your question!

Alert Diver(Asia Pacific), Jan - Apr 2012.
Diving Deaths Downunder, A review of 34 yrs of compressed gas diving deaths in Australia.
....Almost 3/4 of the victims were found with the weights in place. This highlights an on-going problem of divers being reluctant, or unable to ditch their weights when they get into trouble. It is likely that, on many occasions, by the time a diver recognizes the need to ditch their weight they are too incapacitated to do so.
More than half of the victims appear to have gotten into trouble within the first 10m and 27% of them at the surface.
A third of the victim had sufficient remaining gas to make a safe ascent.
65% of the victims were alone at the time of their accident, while an additional 17% separated from their buddy during the accident.

Thanks Centrals

It would be dangerous to dump weights at depth of course, as a runaway ascent would become inevitable with the certain risks and even sure injuries to expect. Still, an injured diver is easier to find floating than not, greatly increasing survival possibilities.

Definitely a concern in terms of rapid ascent, but in terms of a catastrophic failure or a significant down current, dropping half or all the weight should be in the tool box.

I do pull my pouches (weight integrated BCD) when Im moving from tank to tank, and loading/unloading. Different motion though when wearing it than standing in front of it.

Back
Top Bottom