Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youre right; there is nothing you can teach me. I prefer instructors who have a real job. They are far more well rounded than you.

The guy is half fish, bends the NDL rules regularly and has little use for tech or gas planning. OTOH, he is far more experienced with getting out of jams than either of us. This is something that is not found in books because lawyers rule the earth.

... A pony is an inconvenience. ...

Any takers?

... A pony is an inconvenience. I won't take one for dives less than about 60 feet. Deeper than that, I want redundancy and will deal with some inconvenience, yet I want to minimize it. ...

This is actually somewhat conservative. How far have you 'walked home alone' from? Stupid test. Long ago I did 80, never, ever again...

BTW maniago, absolutely no hostility intended, much rather duke it out on the surface than where it really counts...

Do you guys have anything against a gauge like the Highland? It looks pretty easy to read for a button type.
Amazon.com : Highland by XS Scuba Mini Tech Pressure Gauge : Diving Gauges : Sports & Outdoors

I was looking at small HP hoses and they're $30-35. I think I'd rather spend $15 more and just get a new gauge and keep my full size Mares for the girlfriend's future setup.

I don't have a problem with whatever you choose, however you can get 6" hoses at Piranha Dive for $17. I'm old, need big numbers to read, and have HP gauges laying around unused so I opt for a regular gauge on a short hose.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Just for clarification.. I do not recall ever blowing off a required deco stop and generally follow the recommended ascent rate on my computer for no-deco dives. I've been bent a little a few times, nothing serious.

I do understand gas planning reasonably well.

As for getting into jams, the idea is to avoid jams. The OP wants to sling the bottle, that is a safe way to do it. The OP doesn't know if s/he is going to leave the valve open or closed. I offer questions that they can think about to determine for themselves what makes sense: Hint: turn the bottle on before you jump in the water and turn it off when you are back on board.

As for pony bottle size.. take the smallest pony bottle that will get you from the bottom to the top. The fun part about this is, YOU get to decide.

So help me out with this Dump - does a 30 become less heavy big and cumbersome below 90'? I just dove with a guy doing doubles to 90' off Hatteras. On Monday I did 2 50 min dives at <15' standing on my head catching crayfish the entire time. With my 120 and 30 pony. Guy next to me was doing the same thing in a drysuit and twin 65s slung.

There is a lot to be said for a rigging the same each and every time. Maybe when I get 5000 dives I might think differently, but in general, I dont like change or surprises. Most especially surprises....

Hey Maniago,

I understood the context of your post. I just purchased a third PST E7 100 tank because I got tired of diving different tanks and having to deal with different buoyancy characteristics. Especially when diving fresh water.

My pony rig is not a pain in the butt, except when a DM tries to change out my main tank. Things get all jacked-up then.

If my pony was rigged already, I probably would have dived for crayfish just as you did--pony rig and all. I must be lazy.

markm

Just for clarification.. I do not recall ever blowing off a required deco stop and generally follow the recommended ascent rate on my computer for no-deco dives. I've been bent a little a few times, nothing serious. ...

Called on a bit of 'poetic license' so I will respond.

The fact that you have little problem sliding through NDL as a non-tech diver was the message. I have no problem with that either. I still believe that knowing how to handle light deco is ever so much better than freaking for the surface because you are just about to 'time out'.

... generally follow the recommended ascent rate on my computer for no-deco dives.

Yes, you do have an appreciation for what is really important.

I've been bent a little a few times, nothing serious.

I'm thinking that I just got off the hook, here....:wink:

I do understand gas planning reasonably well.

Agreed, past posts have proved that. Past posts have also proved that your dive plans do not see gas planning as 'centric'. IMHO, your extensive diving experience gives you the 'feel' that you have enough gas for the dive or not.

As for getting into jams, the idea is to avoid jams.

Indeed. So the perfect textbook diver will never experience a jam. But how does the perfect textbook diver react when the planets mis-align and he/she experiences a REAL jam?

As for pony bottle size.. take the smallest pony bottle that will get you from the bottom to the top. The fun part about this is, YOU get to decide.

Totally agree, but you are going against 'more is better'.

I have been out of diving for a little while (about a yearish) but I've finally decided to get a pony bottle as I hopefully get things rolling again.

I decided on a 19cf for recreational diving mostly in the 50-90ft range and I think I'm going to sling it for ease of access and the ability to pass it off if necessary. I'm currently looking for a regulator in the $200 range (Mares Rover 12, Genesis GS2000, Oceanic GT3/SP5, Cressi XS2/AC2).

Question 1 - What are your recommendations on basic slinging methods/rigs? I use a Zeagle Ranger.

I know there's continuous debate on how to store tanks and I like to keep my Worthington HP100's at 500psi if they'll be sitting for a while.

Question 2 - Since a pony tank is not used regularly, how do you store/cycle it? I intend to simply do a wet-breathe test before each dive.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Chris

Hey Chris,

A poster to this thread recommended that you take a solo cert class. I did and it was a worthwhile endeavor. I also learned that multiple ascents on my pony while manually inflating my BC, and shooting my smb did not deplete my 13 cf tank. It went home with about 700 psi in it. We started our ascents from 50 - 60 feet. 13 cf is OK for me. What is OK for you is a different matter.

Q 1) I think the side mount is a great idea. I have no opinion as to brand of sling.

Q 2) I keep my ponies full, unless I have performed practice pony bottle ascents. Obviously, they are drained and the valve removed when they fly.

Q 3) (from later on in the thread) I keep my pony valve off. I warn my buddy that the valve is off--so don't plan on getting a quick hit of gas from the pony's second stage--use the octo. I do offer buddies a complete pony rig that they can use: Mounting bracket, regulator, and tank all included.

I use the Oceanic GT3/SP5 on my pony rig. It works just fine. My other rig uses a Mares regulator system.

Caveat Emptor: I am not a techie, I am not a DM, I am not an instructor---I am a recreational diver. Take my opinion with that in mind.

markm

Ah, just to clarify I misunderstood the list of gear you were planning to buy for the pony as your list of gear you were using now because I wasn't reading carefully. The reg you have is a good one.

Sticking to recreational diving your plan is fine then and other people have already said things to death on the pony question. I merely suggested doubles (though for you smaller doubles would be better) because its a complete redundant set of gear and tends to be better controlled and balanced than a larger size back pony and far more out of the way than a slung Pony. With the 30cf pony I assumed you were a person who was VERY serious about safety and redundancy so that was just another way to do it.

Ah, just to clarify I misunderstood the list of gear you were planning to buy for the pony as your list of gear you were using now because I wasn't reading carefully. The reg you have is a good one.

Sticking to recreational diving your plan is fine then and other people have already said things to death on the pony question. I merely suggested doubles (though for you smaller doubles would be better) because its a complete redundant set of gear and tends to be better controlled and balanced than a larger size back pony and far more out of the way than a slung Pony. With the 30cf pony I assumed you were a person who was VERY serious about safety and redundancy so that was just another way to do it.

Thanks for the clarification. Just didn't make sense! haha

No worries, and thanks for posting. :)

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 06:33 PM ----------

Can anybody recommend one of these products for retaining the reg hose?
https://www.divegearexpress.com/gas/straps.shtml

I think I've decided on the 19cf so it will be 4.4" diameter per Kaplan's specs.
http://kaplanscuba.com/product-specs/luxfer-product-specifications.html

I might be opening Pandora's box with this next question but what gas do you keep in a bailout bottle for dives usually around 100 and below?

Air
32% - MOD 1.4 111ft, 1.6 132ft
34% - MOD 1.4 103ft, 1.6 122ft

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

I also came across this from Dive Gear Express on sale for $300 that I may consider if I don't go with one of the less expensive regs.
Hollis Fixed DC2/212 Regulator w/{28 in | 71.1 cm} MaxFlex Hose Sale $299.99

Sells for $425 on Leisurepro with good reviews:
Hollis DC2/212 Regulator with 30" (76.2 cm) Maxflex Hose at LeisurePro

Last edited:
Hey Sonic04GT,

I dive Nitrox.

However, my ponies are filled with air. My ponies are for getting me to the surface and nothing more. An ascent from 90' should take no less than two minutes. The scenario should be: Sixty feet per minute to 30 fsw, and thirty feet per minute for the last 30 fsw equals 2 minutes.

Ok, I know, I will suffer a shark bite, and I will be tangled in fishing line, so it might take a few more minutes.

Thanks,

markm

Last edited:
Hey Sonic04GT,

I dive Nitrox.

However, my ponies are filled with air. My ponies are for getting me to the surface and nothing more. An ascent from 90' should take no less than two minutes. The scenario should be: Sixty feet per minute to 30 fsw, and thirty feet per minute for the last 30 fsw equals 2 minutes.

Ok, I know, I will suffer a shark bite, and I will be tangled in fishing line, so it might take a few more minutes.

Thanks,

markm
I don't don't think it gets any more concise than that. Thanks for posting! Haha

---------- Post added June 20th, 2014 at 03:04 AM ----------
Reviews seem fairly favorable on the Hollis reg but I guess it's not uncommon for Hollis products to be offered at a closeout price either.

This was the most detailed review I dug up:

"I have own Hollis DC2/212 setup, while not exactly the same setup, but I think they are simialr enough. Here is how I feel about Hollis regulators. Let me first say I was overall satisfied with the performance of my Hollis regulator.

Pros:
1. very good service from Hollis, you can always call and speak to someone about the issue. Still depeding on where you live, but finding LDS that supports Hollis is quite easy. I assume this is true at least in North America.
2. good performance overall
3. If you look around, you can find very good deal. Hollis has put their item on deep discount one a while

Cons:
1. 212 2nd stage build quality and material is quite subpar IMO. Plastic case is thin, feels hollow. Air tube is all plastic too. The whole thing is very light weight, and feel filmsy.
2. The 212 I had came with comfort swivel, which later I found it can't be swap out with normal LP hose without replace the entire value body/air tube, which would cost ~$100. So be careful about choosing their swivel deisgn
3. You really need to find a good deal to begin with. Because of the Pro#3, their resale value is pretty low. I got my DC2/212 for what I through was good deal. Two months later, the same reg was in official Hollis discount for about 60% of what I paid. I wouldn't have cared if Con#2 wasn't there. So I faced the decision of 1) swap out the air tube for swivel delete for $100 or 2) just sell the reg and get something else that fit my usage. Due to other issue I had with DC2 1st stage (which may not apply to DC1), I decided to move away from Hollis. So use for 2 monthes, maybe 10 dives, I sold it at 1/3 of what I paid for.

I think Con#2 and #3 were partially my fault for now knowing what I am getting. But still, you can see my experice with Hollis reg wasn't the best."

By eelnoraa on this site.

I have decided to stick with DIN, but many of the inexpensive regs aren't offered in DIN with modification.

As far as Dive Gear Express bolt snaps for the DIR rig, would the small suffice or should I get medium? I figure smaller the better but I want something that will sustain the weight and use.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom