Cousteau Films?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking around for a copy of Cousteau's

The Silent World and
World Without Sun

But am not having any luck. I am betting these were never released on video and/or DVD, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the best resource I could think of before giving up! :D

The National Geographic Society I think they owned the rights for those. If not there did you try The Cousteau Society? If you tried, sorry I couldn't help........

Thanks Dolphin, I was really excited when I spotted that yesterday, but unfortunately, it's in French!
No speaka de French.

SueMermaid:
I am looking around for a copy of Cousteau's

The Silent World and
World Without Sun

But am not having any luck. I am betting these were never released on video and/or DVD, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the best resource I could think of before giving up! :D

Hi. I know this has been awhile, but have you had any luck finding these? I am looking as well. There is a site that claims they will have WWS available soon. They are at http://videoeta.com/movie/41404. You can put your name on a waiting list.

You had a post that said they thought NGS had rights to these films - according to my communications with the Cousteau Society they are held by a french feature film company that, they said, had no intention of making them available, and that the Society had no power in this - I think they're manned by young people who don't know about these films or care. It's ancient history to them.

I just found this, thought I'd send it along to break your heart. Check it out.

file:///Scott's%20stuff/calypso%20photos.html

Best
Scott
:bounce:

That's really too bad. They are exceptional films and a definite piece of diving history. I had wondered why I have never seen them or any of the national geographic specials from the Calypso's three year tour on the national geographic channel.

It's too bad they're not available. They got a lot of people interested in the oceans. There's probably a whole generation that has never seen them. I was just thinking about them the other day. I remember working with them on the underwater part of the spiny lobster migration film off of Bimini in the early 70's. I'd grown up watching the films and to be out there working with them was a thrill. When you watched the films you felt like you were there exploring the ocean with them, everything was new. I guess a lot of the unexplored places are vacation destinations nowadays.

I think it speaks poorly of the Cousteau Society that they don't have all of the original Undersea World and the early features available for sale - if nothing else they could probably make money on them. I'd love for my young son to see World Without Sun! The Society seems to be out of steam these days; there also could be a problem with rights - Philippes' daughter and Jacques' second wife are involved in rabid legal battles, some of the television properties could be tied up in that too, possibly. The old man, admire him as I do, seemed to want to sabotage things pretty well before his death, now everything's mired in feuds and legal wrangles, and for that we are all worse off.

Back
Top Bottom