Coz ATM Warning-again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also used the HSBC ATM at Chedraui without incident. Thanks Dave, for the heads up about the Mega ATMs!!

Yup, I've been using the above HSBC Chedraui ATM for as long as I can remember (10+ years). I've also used the HSBC across the street from Wet Wendy's without issues... So far.

If you want to avoid using your debit card at ATMs on Coz, go to AAA and get their pre-loaded VISA debit/credit card-I have 2 sets (each unique card comes with a twin attached to the same account). I have had no problems using them at any of the ATMs I've used in Coz, and whatever is left on the card can be withdrawn as well from the ATMs here. They can be re-loaded on line if you need.

If you want to avoid using your debit card at ATMs on Coz, go to AAA and get their pre-loaded VISA debit/credit card-I have 2 sets (each unique card comes with a twin attached to the same account). I have had no problems using them at any of the ATMs I've used in Coz, and whatever is left on the card can be withdrawn as well from the ATMs here. They can be re-loaded on line if you need.
I set up a separate debit card at my bank. I've been a AAA member for 20+ years but no offices close to me.

Edit:Off-topic as the OP has nothing to do with skimming. But I'll leave it since a couple of the posts mention it.
This is scary stuff. I had a friend here in Los Angeles go ahead and get me a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos, 100 & 200 notes. Then I went over to my my bank and told them I would be using the ATM in COZ on X date for only a one time amount of X pesos.
It has nothing to do with any specific ATM. This can be done to any ATM anywhere, also in your hometown. They usually attach the needed equipment to a busy ATM, wait a couple of hours, go get the equipment and move on to another ATM in another town. This way even if they are recorded by the banks surveillance camera the police will most likely not find them.

If they "skim" your card and get the code on video they make their own copy of your card. No ATMs will notice the difference between the copy and original. They can use this card whereever whenever... Not only at that ATM.

The ones I've read about are often ATMs used by many tourists. I'm guessing this might be because tourists often have extra money in the account when on vacation. If this is the case they might try to make a withdrawal fast to get as much money as possible. But just because a fraud attempt isn't made within a couple of days doesn't mean you are safe.

The first skimming equipment many years ago was easy to detect if you were looking for it. Now it is nearly impossible if done correctly. Therefore the only way to stop it is to prevent them from getting your code. Always cover your fingers when entering the code with your other hand when you use an ATM. Everywhere. Do this and you really don't need to worry too much about "skimming".

Last edited:
May want to reread the original posts...
The problem Dave reported was not skimming - but ATMs not giving out the cash - though the withdrawals he'd tried to make were subtracted from his account balance.

The problem Dave reported was not skimming - but ATMs not giving out the cash - though the withdrawals he'd tried to make were subtracted from his account balance.

Correct, but the information ameneon provided is still excellent information :)

Correct, but the information ameneon provided is still excellent information :)

True, though the original information was more germane to problems found recently at ATMs in CZM.
Thanks.

The problem Dave reported was not skimming
Yeah sorry. I read some of the posts about skimming and forgot the topic. Pretty sure the one I quoted was about that.

In Norway we can sign up for a service where when using your card the bank instantly sends a text message to your phone with information about the transaction. This could be a nice way to keep track of everything for those travelling to Cozumel in the near future. That is if your bank offers it, I don't know if this is common in other countries yet.

Yeah, text alerts are becoming more and more common with the major US banks -- typically they are customizable alerts based upon transaction type and/or dollar amount.

And I don't use my cell outside of the US. Verizon once told me that they had a nice plan that covered Mexico, but that agent explained it wrong; it covers call to Mexico. Calls in Mexico are $1/min I think, one has to request Mexico texting for it to work and that's pricey, so I just turn it on when I want an alarm clock.

Back
Top Bottom