"Coz on a budget" Trip Report - Feb. 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey - you should write a book - "Diving Cozumel On A Hundred Bucks A Day". You might get your next trip for free! Oh - leave out the Spam part....

This theme would actually make a really cool show on the travel channel, or something to that effect.

I enjoyed reading your very different perspective on traveling in Cozumel. I've stayed at Safari Inn many, many times and I just love the place. The smell of the rooms, the closeness to town, seeing Dalia's smiling face when I come home every night. I also love the sound of clanking tanks in the morning. That was my alarm clock telling me its time to get my butt out of bed and put together my camera. Just a minor correction to your report. Bill, who runs Aqua Safari is Mexican. He just isn't of Mexican descent. And he's not married. I'm sure he would get a chuckle out of guessing which one of the girls you've pegged as his wife. :wink: They are all so charming.

With Aqua Safari located so conveniently downstairs and their pier right across the street, I'm curious why you didn't dive with them. Diving with Chilango on the Belinda was always frosting on the cake for me. You must have paid a couple of bucks each day to taxi over to the dive shop. Was it a cost thing?

I have also stocked up at Chadraui many times no matter where I stay. Eating in Cozumel has gotten so expensive, but my taste buds have gotten a bit spoiled and I cannot do without a couple of nights at El Foco, a nice dinner at Pepe's Grill, and the usual trip to Guido's, Pancho's Backyard, La Mission, and El Moro. Just the thought of it makes me want to book another ticket.

Thanks for posting a refreshing new read.

The water felt a little cooler than I expected.

What was the water temperature like during your trip?

I'm headed down to Cozumel next weekend and am trying to decide what exposure protection I will need.

rainmaker,
Wow! Nice report. I expect to pay less than that for my trip next month.... but for only one week! Great job!

I enjoyed reading your very different perspective on traveling in Cozumel. I've stayed at Safari Inn many, many times and I just love the place. The smell of the rooms, the closeness to town, seeing Dalia's smiling face when I come home every night. I also love the sound of clanking tanks in the morning. That was my alarm clock telling me its time to get my butt out of bed and put together my camera. Just a minor correction to your report. Bill, who runs Aqua Safari is Mexican. He just isn't of Mexican descent. And he's not married. I'm sure he would get a chuckle out of guessing which one of the girls you've pegged as his wife. :wink: They are all so charming.

With Aqua Safari located so conveniently downstairs and their pier right across the street, I'm curious why you didn't dive with them. Diving with Chilango on the Belinda was always frosting on the cake for me. You must have paid a couple of bucks each day to taxi over to the dive shop. Was it a cost thing?

I have also stocked up at Chadraui many times no matter where I stay. Eating in Cozumel has gotten so expensive, but my taste buds have gotten a bit spoiled and I cannot do without a couple of nights at El Foco, a nice dinner at Pepe's Grill, and the usual trip to Guido's, Pancho's Backyard, La Mission, and El Moro. Just the thought of it makes me want to book another ticket.

Thanks for posting a refreshing new read.

Hmmm......thanks for the correction; wish I could go back and change my original post, but the "edit" feature is no longer available. I was talking with Bill last year (Jan 08), and I thought he'd told me he was married to a Mexican woman (and I guess I just assumed he was American by birth).

I didn't dive with them because of the unlimited free shore diving at Blue Angel. I just love that little reef out front. And it wasn't feasible to "split" my diving between the two places and have to transfer gear back and forth.

I walked each day from Safari Inn to Blue Angel (round-trip), then walked to Chedruai and Mega for supper and food supplies each day. I didn't use any taxis when I was there, except when I transported my gear to Blue Angel on the first day, and when I transported it back to Safari Inn on the last day. I'm a long-distance hiker, and I normally walk 4 miles each day at home (in the mountains) just for the exercise. I really enjoyed my walk by the sea each day while in Cozumel.

I enjoyed your post, and thanks again for the correction. :doh2:

What was the water temperature like during your trip?

I'm headed down to Cozumel next weekend and am trying to decide what exposure protection I will need.

At the surface of the little reef just south of Blue Angel, my primary computer read the water temp as 79 - 80. My back-up computer read it a few degrees cooler. Minimum water temperature I encountered during the two weeks I was there was 75 degrees (according to my primary computer).

I wore a nearly worn-out full-length 4/3 with a hood, and got a little cool occasionally. I saw a few divers wearing shorties over full-length suits (even a couple of the divermasters were wearing more than 1 layer), and I wasn't the only guy wearing a hood, either.

According to a few of the locals, the water temp is a few degrees cooler than normal this year because of some unseasonably cool weather earlier in the winter.

Thanks for the good report on how inexpensive Cozumel CAN BE ! I did a trip like that years ago. Stayed at the Barracuda Hotel, I ate a light breakfast, then dove 3X a day , with Dive Paradise, [ on site location, which provided a packed lunch ] , & went out to eat at night. I don't drink alcohol, so that kept the cost down a lot ! Unlimited shore diving, gear was stored in a locker, at the site. I kept a total for the trip, & the cost of all meals, taxis, tips, & drinks etc., came to $89 for a WEEK !

Hey, I'm just getting warmed up............spam sandwiches, anyone? :coffee:

Rainmaker,

we are SO on!! I cannot wait for my next trip to Coz to see if I can meet/beat your numbers!!
BTW, Your post was great...Thanks for sharing. Am a bit of a 'budget' traveler myself and your post is going to be a 'gentle hint' to my travel buddy that I am NOT alone :)

~Rae

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom