Coz. pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hooked4Life:
robbcayman:

You really think Cozumel reefs look that bad? Please check out my pictures and make up your mind http://www.scubastruck.com/pictures/cozumel/

I started writing a response that included site I have dived on my last 3 trips (post hurricanes), and noting that the photos referred to are not representative of all sites, but, I decided not to. There have been lots of posts since last fall both positive and negative, most have been from divers who actually have visited and dived Cozumel post-Wilma. If someone wants to make this kind of statement and form an opinion based on a handful of pics, well, his loss.

I'm looking at Grand Turk as a possible trip for next year so I was interested in robbycayman's T & C posts. robbyc, I hope that all your dives in T&C are able to measure up to the two you did on your recent trip. No destination is THE place for everyone, so, if you aren't keen on spending your time and money in Cozumel, then you shouldn't. But, since you haven't personally dived there recently, please be careful of passing on your opinion to others who may be considering a trip there.

Anyone who says that everything is great above and below the water is not being truthful. You will see remnants of the damage caused by Wilma for sometime to come. But, there are MANY dive sites that are in great shape and many areas of the island that are as good as ever. Spend some time looking at reports and photos posted here this year and you'll see that.

I'm sorry if my pictures have dissuaded anyone from returning to Cozumel. I'm not a very good photographer, those pics were the only ones that turned out decent.

With that said, I guess we're looking at it from two different angles. Instead of seeing destruction, I was seeing rebirth. Sure there's sand, more in some places than others, but there's always been sand there. It's the ocean :14: However, there are signs of rebirth and new growth everywhere you look. New staghorn coral is popping up, as well as gorgonians, and I saw lots of barrel sponge that looked pretty healthy. The shallower reefs took a pretty good sanding, but the sealife there was abundant and colorful, and you can see the reef starting to come back as well. The coral formations at Palancar are as beautiful as ever, with new swimthroughs opened up, and vibrant colors showing up when you take a decent pic.

If you want to see ruin and destruction, I'm sure you can find it. I feel sorry for those that do, for they are missing the true joy of being there. If you go looking for rebirth, it's most certainly there, and will leave you smiling for a long time to come.

I guess I'm just a "glass is half full" kind of guy......

Don't feed the trolls. :D

Let's not start flaming robbcayman, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yes, there is sand on some of the reefs but hey, how often can you send a postcard from down there and say "It's snowing in Cozumel!"? :D :D :D

Ooops, I was writing this just as you posted Tom so didn't see it until I posted.

Will's pics. turned out great! But he was shooting in RAW mode which I don't have. I think my next camera will have that mode, and I need to work on my shutter speed thing.

Not to be redundant, but I agree with Tom.

The “It’s snowing in Cozumel!” was more than a flippant remark. It is an analogy to the winter time where things are snowed under and re-grow during the spring. It’s “spring time” in Coz. now, although it will take some time.

Those hurricanes were an act of nature…I wonder how many times in the history of the oceans that this has happened before. Nature takes care of itself. She doesn’t care about our short term enjoyment of looking at pretty things. Although I have no degree in oceanography or anything close to the experience of living around coral reefs, maybe this is like the burning of fields, things grow back stronger and better.

Myself, I’m going to enjoy watching that happen.

First off, Seal skin I mean't no disrespect on your ability to take pictures. It just looks a lot different from the last time I went pre Wilma. However, Hooked for life your pictures showed a lot of nice areas to still dive and some awesome beach pics!!! I've never been so happy to be proven wrong. I think I spoke too early!! I'm constantly putting my foot in my mouth, just ask my wife LOL!!!

I love Coz and always will. I don't want to give up on her, I'll try and go back within the next couple of years and hopefully she will be reborn. I agree with the analogy of forest fires. However, how long will it take for Coz to be truly great again 5, 10, 50, 100 years??? What about the potential for more hurricanes?? I just hope the last few years have been a fluke. No matter what, I will come back, I owe that much to the people. My wife really has her heart set on going to Moorea and Bora Bora next year. Plus, we want to work in another trip back to T&C!!! Anyways, thanks for not totally ripping me.

My pictures were shot in RAW mode but I didnt edit them in RAW mode yet. :wink: I just bought a book.

Personally I am still so amazed by Cozumel we are going back next year and bringing a crew with us. The point of the matter is even with the Hurricane damage the quality of diving is very hard to beat for the money.

robbcayman:
First off, Seal skin I mean't no disrespect on your ability to take pictures.

No offense taken, just glad you can make out what's in the pics. :D

Hooked4Life:
My pictures were shot in RAW mode but I didnt edit them in RAW mode yet. :wink: I just bought a book.

That says a lot about Will's ability to take pictures compared to mine!

Hooked4Life:
The point of the matter is even with the Hurricane damage the quality of diving is very hard to beat for the money.

Yep, I can do a whole trip to Coz.: air, hotel, dives, for just about what the airfare to Miami would cost me. One heck of a deal from here. I forgot what the last price was that I checked on to T&C. I've always wanted to go.

robbcayman:
First off, Seal skin I mean't no disrespect on your ability to take pictures. It just looks a lot different from the last time I went pre Wilma. However, Hooked for life your pictures showed a lot of nice areas to still dive and some awesome beach pics!!! I've never been so happy to be proven wrong. I think I spoke too early!! I'm constantly putting my foot in my mouth, just ask my wife LOL!!!

FWIW, you were neither right nor wrong. There were once things to see diving Cozumel that are gone forever, at least compared to our lifetimes, but there are already new things to see that weren't there before. It's different; whether it's better or worse is a matter of perception.

The sand on the reefs is (mostly) there to stay. It's one of the ways that reefs build themselves; new organisms will grow around and through the sand and incorporate it into the substructure. Unfortunately for us, it's a slow process.

I have been diving Cozumel for about 15 years, and my wife and I have done over 60 tanks there in two trips since Wilma. I think I have a pretty realistic picture of the differences. The lush gardenlike areas are generally smaller now and harder to find (though Colombia Shallows is huge and relatively unscathed), but they are there. The majestic towers and swimthroughs are not noticably diminished, and in some places they are better than before. And yes, some reefs that I loved to dive are now not worth the trip.

In most places in town you'll be hard pressed to see any effects of the huricane at all; the manmade stuff is the easiest to fix. The biggest obvious change topside is the vegetation south of town; Wilma hit at the end of the rainy season and blew huge quantities of salt ashore, and then it didn't rain for two months. When I was last there in May, there still had not been a rainy season since the hurricane, so things were still pretty brown. That stuff will recover pretty quickly though, once they get a season's worth of rain.

Certainly, I am a Cozumel advocate; I make no bones about that. I realize for some divers the bloom is off the rose and now they would rather go somewhere else. So be it; it's a big ocean and there are lots of places to dive. For me, however, my attachment to Cozumel, the people, the food, the atmosphere, the convenience, and yes, the diving, still make it my destination of choice. YMMV.

Peace,

Yes, I agree with Gordon. Last week there was a Humane Society Art Auction at my hotel (Casa Mex) and it was one of those things that all the ex-pats and other locals turn out for. I was actually surprised at just how many people I do know that live on Coz, and my 2 best friends weren't even there! So, yes, while the diving has taken some twists and turns, for me it's a whole package kind of deal, and while I can, and do, go on trips to other parts of the world, I always do, and probably always will, return to Cozumel...

CN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom