Coz Thanksgiving 2003 report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cxg31s

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Coz Trip Report
Nov 24-Dec 1

Being one of the last people alive to not have her own website, I’m sorry I can’t include pictures with this report. Well....and I haven’t gotten them developed yet. *grin* So, we’ll have to make do with a narrative broken down by category instead of a monotonous day-by-day account. You all know the kind I’m talking about: Day 1 Morning-time: “Woke up at 5am, got up and dressed in my blue bathing suit with the red stripe. Then I brushed my teeth, following up with a BIG drink of water, the bottled kind, not out of the tap. Then I sat on the balcony of Yada Yada hotel and contemplated the beautiful blue water for an hour as I tried to decide where to go for breakfast. Rock-n-Java maybe? Or Jeannie’s Waffle House...I just couldn’t decide...Then I....wait a minute, what’s that? Oh no, don’t aim that shotgun at me--AUGH!” *kaBLAM*

AIRLINE
I was nervous about the new airline Funjet is using--Ryan Air. All the websites and several people were posting new luggage weight limitations of 44 lbs total for checked luggage, and I had heard that some people had to pay fees for excess luggage that was over the limit. I am happy to report that Ryan Air doesn’t seem to be enforcing these supposed weight restrictions. I didn’t weigh my suitcases but I know with all my dive gear and things I was bringing for friends on the island that my luggage was probably close to 90 lbs. Thank goodness for inline skate wheels!

The planes were your standard 737’s with no leg room and uncomfortable seats. My favorite features were the armchair radios accessible only by headphones, of which there were none, and the broken lavatory, leaving 2 bathrooms to service over 100 people who chose THOSE 2 hours to take a big dump. But they did have these cool monitors that popped down once we took off and we could track where the plane was, how long we had left, our speed and altitude, etc. Repetitive after the first cycle, but it was great for tracking how much time I still had to try to get the feeling back in my cramped legs before I tried to stand up.

Now I’m going to rant for a moment...about kids. Yes, it was Thanksgiving week and many families were travelling, so the Great Gods of Bad Luck seated me next to, behind and in front of every single screaming child on that plane. They found it really fun to run up and down the aisles, throw their toys on the floor, at people and over the tops of seats, roll around in the aisle, trip the flight attendants and prevent them from doing their jobs, and scream at the top of their lungs. Ok, so I like kids in general, and don’t care if people want to take them on vacation, but parents PLEASE make your kids behave on the plane! Be considerate of the fact that other people might not find your children as adorable as you do, and are not on the plane to provide entertainment for YOUR kids. I just can’t believe parents let their kids act that way and even the flight attendants were sick of it. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t have blamed the flight attendants a bit if they had collected them all and stuffed them in the overhead bins until the flight was over! Hmmm...that’s an idea.....oh sorry, I digress, moving on....

FOOD
I ate many good meals at a few of my “usual” haunts, and tried a few new places this time. There were still several I didn’t get to but that gives me yet another reason to return, like I need one!

Breakfast: On dive days, I got pan dulce from Chedraui--the early departures didn’t allow for a leisurely breakfast, but it was just as well because I wanted to get on the boat! I had breakfast at Tony’s a few times, eggs, bacon and hotcakes--delicious as always. It’s amazing how many friends drop by at various points in the morning. I just love his coffee--he puts a little cinnamon in the coffee grounds before brewing. YUM! We also stopped in at Rock-n-Java one morning, which is always good even though the prices went up (grrrrr). I had the Cowboy breakfast, which was scrambled eggs, bacon and gravy on top of biscuits with home fried potatoes (I’m a southern girl) and a side order of fruit--all quite tasty.

Lunch: We had lunch at a little fruteria on Salas--don’t remember the name--but they had wonderful cheap tacos and fresh fruit smoothies. There are quite a few of these places in town now. We tried Sabores on Sally’s recommendation and it was a great one. Nice place--the dining area was the living room of the house and I think there was outside seating out back. Good food--the comida casera at 40 pesos was quite a deal. With that, you get soup or salad, main course and tortillas, and dessert was either included or an extra charge--I didn’t order dessert so I’m not sure. I had some kind of breaded fish, steamed veggies, beans and rice--a little bland, but still tasty. Christi introduced me to Camilo’s--which is now my new favorite lunch place. The tacos were 10 pesos apiece and stuffed full--several varieties of seafood. In 2 visits, I had the breaded fish, breaded shrimp, Mexican shrimp and the smoked marlin tacos--all VERY good, and I also had the smoked marlin salad tostada--YUM. My only caution: don’t blorp a bunch of the habanero mayonnaise on your tacos without tasting it first--yeowch! They also have other kinds of tostadas, sandwiches, seafood salads and main courses--all seafood. I got hooked on the wonderful cheap tacos, but I hope this place survives so I can get back and work my way through the rest of the menu!

Dinner: Tony of Tony Rome's Sandcastles outdid himself at Thanksgiving--it just didn’t seem like Thanksgiving until I saw that huge plate of turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce (with the can marks still in it--ahhhh home) VERY good mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole and yams. And of course his wonderful key lime pie for dessert--fantastic as always. I ate there a few other nights too. I enjoyed my usual chicken parmesan and tried his homemade spaghetti bolognaise, which was great for my carb fix! Against my own rule, I made a return trip to Prima to have dinner with the Rodale’s gang. Nothing against Prima--their food is pretty good, but most of their meals are way overpriced, in my opinion. It was a good meal--I had the lobster ravioli, which wasn’t too unreasonable at 90 pesos, and it was just enough food to fill me up, so I may actually go back there again on a future visit. If you stick to the pasta dishes, you can have a decent dinner that doesn’t cost a fortune. We also returned to Las Arracheras/Johnny Bravo’s, which I had visited in Aug. We went on Sat night and I was sick with a cold and running a fever, so I don’t know if it was because I wasn’t feeling well or if the food just wasn’t as good, but I didn’t enjoy that meal very much. The meat on the Plato Bravo (flank steak with avocado slices, cheese quesadillas, tortillas, bean soup) wasn’t as tasty as it was in Aug and his prices have also gone up.

THE DIVING
After meeting and talking with Christi (sometimes for 4 hours at a time, right Christi? hee hee) and reading many positive reports about Blue XTSea, I decided to give her a shot and I was NOT disappointed. What a great experience--all I can say is WOW! Ok, I’ll say more than that....She had originally rented an extra boat since it was Thanksgiving week so she was going to divide up the divers according to experience level. She had 4 last-minute cancellations so she had to cancel the extra boat and we all went on Shamu. There were varying experience levels but when this happens, Christi will either send an extra DM or dive herself. In our case...she ended up diving with us because she and I wanted to dive together, and that worked out GREAT! Diving with Christi was diving with a friend, When the others ran out of air, she and I would stay down and comb the reefs. She and I have the same dive style, so we spent most dives just thoroughly exploring a few coral heads rather than racing to see how much reef we could cover. She has an eagle eye for the macro stuff and pointed out many things that I never would have seen otherwise. On Thanksgiving day, the 2 other divers scheduled cancelled their dives and I was the only diver. Christi tried to get herself and me on Liquid Blue’s boat, but they were full, so we took her boat out with just the 2 of us and Mago (her captain) and had a blast! I felt guilty about her wasting gas for just me, but it was SO cool! It was just 2 friends going out diving, rather than dive operator/customer, and that made it so much fun! It also allowed us to do 2 dives that we wouldn’t have gotten to do otherwise (with less experienced divers on the boat), so I’m glad those other divers cancelled! whahahaha

Dive info:
Cedral/Part of Santa Rosa
Max depth: 73 ft Max time: 69 min
Santa Rosa Wall
Max depth: 125 ft Max time: 64 min
Chankanaab Shallows
Max depth: 47 ft Max time: 75 min
Chun Chacaab
Max depth: 96 ft Max time: 60 min
Tormentos
Max depth: 56 ft Max time: 81 min
Palancar Gardens
Max depth: 79 ft Max time: 56 min
San Francisco wall
Max depth: 52 ft Max time: 60 min

Unusual critters of note included: Several free-swimming nurse sharks, ranging from 5-10 feet, eagle ray, 3-foot porcupinefish (looked like a relic from the dinosaur age), baby pipefish, teeny juvenile spotted drum (less than 1”), 2 baby nudibranches, baby arrow crab, tiger grouper, Atlantic spadefish, almaco jack, a hawkbill turtle as big as the loggerhead that haunts the south side and another smaller hawkbill, baby sailfin blenny (the pencil eater), baby bristleworm, adult bristleworm, scrawled filefish, spotted scorpionfish, the biggest great barracuda I’ve ever seen plus some regular-sized “normal” barracuda....all in addition to the usual array of tropical fishies: blue tang, angels of all types, spotted filefish, parrots, grouper, morays, lobsters, gobies, grunts, snappers, jacks, trunkfish, squirrelfish....You know, it would be easier to list what I DIDN’T see. No splendid toadfish or seahorses this time though, although Christi found a pipehorse that I didn’t get to see because of ear problems. :(

Water temp was a consistent 82 degrees but we eventually got chilled with our long bottom times--not that I’m complaining about long bottom times! The norté started blowing in Friday afternoon, so the port was closed on Saturday which was just as well since I was sick. Sunday they opened the port about 9am, but the 2 other divers scheduled cancelled, so since I hadn’t been feeling well anyway and it was my last day, I cancelled too. It was cool and really windy that day, and Christi said they closed the port again that afternoon, so it was just as well that I didn’t dive. Bad weather aside, I had 7 fantastic dives and made a great friend in Christi, so it was a great week all around!

NEW FRIENDS
Well Christi is definitely at the top of this category--she was so much fun to hang out with and really went out of her way to show me a great time and make me feel at home. I miss you, girl! I ran into many other friends I met in Aug, too--it was great seeing them again! I also met many other people from various message boards that I have talked to but never met in person. Ahh the power of the internet--bringing people together. And I can’t forget to mention the unforgettable characters from Rodale’s--talking and dining with these folks was a true pleasure, especially Jonathan (also posts on this board) and the famous Doc Vikingo (medical moderator on this board). Doc, it was great to finally meet you after reading your posts for the past 5 years. I really enjoyed talking with you and sharing your cheesecake--I hope we end up at the same place again someday!

IN SUMMARY
Cozumel is feeling more and more like home with every visit and with every new friend I meet. I am truly blessed for the people who have come into my life through the magic of this little island. I always say that leaving Cozumel to come back to Dallas is like LEAVING home, rather than GOING home. I can’t wait to come back and see you all at Carnival and hopefully meet all the people I haven’t met yet! 72 more days....the countdown begins anew!

Angie D

Christi caters to all experience levels. Like I said in my report, if she has various experience levels on the boat, she hires an extra DM to go with the newbies or dives herself, so there is one DM for the newer divers and one for the more experienced divers. Our boat had newer divers who were doing their first ocean dives and her DM Raul kept a close eye on them--they did great and raved about what a great time they had! And the more experienced divers did not feel cheated--we would go deeper or do swim throughs, while Raul would do a simpler dive profile with the newer group. They don't make you dive beyond what you're comfortable with--just talk to Christi about any questions or concerns and she will do her best to accommodate you and make sure you have a great experience.

Just FYI, if you'd like to check out her website it's:
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

cxg31s once bubbled...
Now I’m going to rant for a moment...about kids. Yes, it was Thanksgiving week and many families were travelling, so the Great Gods of Bad Luck seated me next to, behind and in front of every single screaming child on that plane. They found it really fun to run up and down the aisles, throw their toys on the floor, at people and over the tops of seats, roll around in the aisle, trip the flight attendants and prevent them from doing their jobs, and scream at the top of their lungs. Ok, so I like kids in general, and don’t care if people want to take them on vacation, but parents PLEASE make your kids behave on the plane! Be considerate of the fact that other people might not find your children as adorable as you do, and are not on the plane to provide entertainment for YOUR kids. I just can’t believe parents let their kids act that way and even the flight attendants were sick of it. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t have blamed the flight attendants a bit if they had collected them all and stuffed them in the overhead bins until the flight was over! Hmmm...that’s an idea.....oh sorry, I digress, moving on....Angie D

LOL. May God bless you with triplets and a need for travel. I won't turn this thread into that thread. . .but I will say that it is easy to say and hard to do. . . and . . .life is not about what happens to you its about how you react to it.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

LOL. May God bless you with triplets and a need for travel. I won't turn this thread into that thread. . .but I will say that it is easy to say and hard to do. . . and . . .life is not about what happens to you its about how you react to it.

I have wondered many times how parents can let their kids run wild like that? Then it finally hit me = Survival of the Species! If parents did not tune bratty kids out, and noticed them like observers noticed them, they'd kill them.

No, I really don't get it. We never flew in the days before dereg of airlines, but my Dad would never allow such from us. I never had that problem with my daughter, and I took her a lot when she was young. Her son is now 9, and he's been on a few trips with us, but we still don't have that problem. All three of us have been quite capable of being rowdy, and were at times, but it just was not allowed in public, especially crowded places like a cramped 737.

When this has happened to me - I'll strive for patience first, think it over, and then find the responsible parent! I'll tell it to them like I just did above, and ask them if they would take responsibility for their kids until we get off the plane, at least.

If they cannot or will not do that, I don't think they should travel on planes.

Otherwise, enjoyed your report. Hope I get to dive with Christy someday, too. I've had good DMs in Cozy, but none that I really trusted. Just good enough, with my own survival skills.

don

Top drawer TR--thank you.

Problem is, my mouth is now watering.

Happy holidays to you.

Doc

PS: Our "Jonathan" does not post on this board.

dandydon once bubbled...
I have wondered many times how parents can let their kids run wild like that? Then it finally hit me = Survival of the Species! If parents did not tune bratty kids out, and noticed them like observers noticed them, they'd kill them.

Now thats funny and its soooo true. You also have to remember that for every bad parent who is letting their kids run wild there are nine other parents who are going nuts trying to keep their kids quiet and occupied. Its the toughest job you will ever have to do and you will have to be at your best when you are completely exhausted.

Hey Doc, I know, just writing that report made me hungry...thinking about all the great meals I had on Coz. Sorry for the mis-info on Jonathan posting here--I probably confused this with one of the other 5 message boards I'm on. ha ha :)

Tim, thanks for the curse, but I'm not heading down that road....EVER. I love kids on a case-by-case basis, as long as they belong to other people! LOL

I'm assuming you have kids, based on your responses, and I was expecting to get indignant answers from people telling me how well-behaved THEIR kids are--that's all fine and dandy. All I'm saying is that when I grew up (back in the old days of DISCIPLINE), my parents and my grandparents (I lived with them during the summers) would have beat my rear end RAW if I had ever acted like that in any public venue. Like Don said, kids back then wouldn't have dreamed of acting like that, maybe because of fear of "the belt" or maybe because we were actually raised with manners. A lot of parents today are lax in discipline due to overly busy schedules for whatever reasons, but there is still no replacement for a good old fashioned whoopin when the child deserves it.

You're right--there were a few parents trying to keep their kids quiet and they succeeded for the most part--kudos to them for at least making an effort and I don't fault them for that. I don't have a problem with THEM, it's the parents that just let their kids run rampant who piss me off. Maybe we should just stuff those parents in the overhead bins! LOL

But as for your other comment, I think I handled it well--I practiced my deep breathing, kept my arms and feet out of the aisle to avoid being trampled and watched the monitor intently (for 2 hours) to see how much longer I had to tolerate the brats from heck. I do strive for patience and serenity in all moments of stress and I guess we all have to be tested once in a while! hee hee

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

Now thats funny and its soooo true. You also have to remember that for every bad parent who is letting their kids run wild there are nine other parents who are going nuts trying to keep their kids quiet and occupied. Its the toughest job you will ever have to do and you will have to be at your best when you are completely exhausted.

I do not generally support using electronic games for baby sitters, but we've always had something for the kids to do while on flights. It used to be coloring books; now electronic games work better, but - don't use the ones in your cell phone. Even if the phone has an airplane mode, FAs won't like it.

For the kids running wild on a plane, ask the FA to talk to the parents. If s/he won't do it, ask for her name & employee number, then ask him/her to back you up while you do. Someone ask the parents to take responsibility. If they won't, ask the FA to have Air Marshals to meet the plane and arrest them all! :fire:

Don you are just tooooooo funny (and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said)! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom