Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In June when we came into Cozumel and went thru security they inquired about the batteries in my checked bags (in their original packaging) oops :no: but when I explained that they were for dive lights, we went thru with no problem. I had extra batteries for my camera too but had no issues with having those in my carryon on arrival or departure. I understand batteries are expensive in Mexico. Might be better to give them to your boat crew or DM at the end of the trip rather than have them thrown in a bin at the airport.

Did they take and keep your OEM batteries.

He took and kept every battery he saw, and he was actively looking for them. Oddly, in our two "personal bags" that you can carry in addition to a carry-on, my wife and I each our noise cancelling headphones and a couple extra aaa bats for those. No one gave those a second glance.

As far as I know, the batteries they took got dumped in the big battery bin. If they are being stolen it wasn't just one guy taking a few batteries. Also, I have now seen all kinds of posts about this happening in Cozumel and Cancun on travel forums. It isn't just a couple guards or a few batteries and has been going on for at least several months now.

By the way, I also noticed that they ran dogs by the luggage when we landed in Cozumel. Are they really worried about people smuggling drugs INTO Mexico?

By the way, I also noticed that they ran dogs by the luggage when we landed in Cozumel. Are they really worried about people smuggling drugs INTO Mexico?
Guns perhaps? That's their primary concern about Americans entering Mexico. Here's an article about gun-sniffing dogs used in the Tokyo Airport:

"The two Labrador retrievers, a male and female, have undergone a ¥15 million intensive training program at a special learning center in Australia, the sources said. They will be the first of their kind deployed at a Japanese airport. The dogs were trained not only to detect firearms, but also to recognize the specific scents of gunpowder and the oil used to maintain them."

Narita to deploy gun-sniffing dogs | The Japan Times Online

And another article regarding the U.S. sending gun-sniffing dogs to Mexico to police the roads heading south across the border:
"I would dare say that Mexico has some of the strictest regulations about gun ownership in all the world, and we're right next to a country ... that has some of the easiest ones," said Lt. Col. Raúl Manzano Vélez, director of the military's civilian gun sales. "That creates a huge vacuum between the countries and feeds weapons trafficking."
Last week, the Department of Homeland Security announced it would send dogs, X-ray machines and more agents to the border to search southbound cars for guns and cash headed to Mexico."

Mexico: Gun controls undermined by U.S. - USATODAY.com

We had the battery issue once in Grand Cayman. One year we had them confiscated when they checked our carry-on bags on exit and were told they should have been checked. The next year we made sure everyone (we had a group of around 20 people) knew to pack them in their checked bags in clear ziplock bags. Once we got through security, we were called back one by one to a room off to the side. They had us remove the batteries and put them in our carry-ons instead. :idk:

We came back from Cozumel in October with no problems like you described. I have learned just to go with it and not argue, of course it hasn't been expensive items we've have taken. I have had a stick of deodorant and chapstick taken in Honduras, someone in our group had zip-ties removed from his checked bags in Tobago (when he asked, they said he could use them to tie up the pilot.... from a checked bag???), and I had them go through my child's things with a fine-toothed comb in Bozeman, Montana which nearly made us miss our flight even though nothing was taken. Another friend forgot he had his dive knife in his carry-on regulator bag (his fault) and it wasn't noticed, but lost it after another person in their group had to surrender theirs and said "But they (pointing at friend) had one too!" (coming back through Miami I believe after passing through Customs). It's very inconsistent, wherever you are, and some places are much worse than others.

Guns perhaps? That's their primary concern about Americans entering Mexico.
Mexico: Gun controls undermined by U.S. - USATODAY.com

That could be, although I kinda doubt Mexico has gun sniffing dogs. I also don't believe the stories about the U.S. being the source of guns for the drug cartels. U.S. guns may represent a high percentage of those guns that are "confiscated" but I wonder about where they are being confiscated and from whom. Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico - CBS News

I was just reading an article in Time (I think) where the Mexican gov't was talking about the cartels using RPGs, grenades and automatic weapons. Such things are VERY limited in the U.S. I would bet a large stack of confiscated batteries that the drug cartels are getting their weapons from within Mexico itself or from south of their border. The claim that they are coming from the U.S. just happens to conveniently fit in the agenda of the present administrations in both the U.S. and Mexico.

This sucks big time. I bet you can buy all kinds of batteries at local flea markets in the near future.

I've heard of such before, particularly leaving Honduras over the years, and generally pack my batteries very safely, but in checked bags - regardless. I guess I'll go with that for my rechargable AAs and AAAs along with my computer batteries and take my chances, after leaving my Cs with my dive Op.

The only thing confiscated coming into Cozumel were dog treats for my friends pets, they were chicken manufactured in Canada and not allowed. I still bring them for my friend but take them out of the packaging and put them into baggies. Leaving we have never had anything taken in in many trips. We are not photographers but do carry batteries for our lights. We will not let this become a problem for us, I think I will just buy the cheap ones and leave them behind when we go. The fun we have far outweighs the ever changing security rules. The biggest hassle I have had lately came from TSA in Baton Rouge. I had my toiletries in the wrong sized bag and he made me repack them in the proper size threatening to thow everything out because my clear plastic baggy was to big. I had used this very same bag at least 6 times with the same stuff thru TSA security in other airports. This
guy was a bit snarky and was disappointed that I got everything to fit in the smaller bag. Looking forward to Cozumel in August.

Wow, I don't know about all these horror stories. I've been going to Cozumel for over 10 years, I haven't noticed anything getting worse at all. If anything it's gotten better and better.

Didn't anybody notice they got rid of the big stop light at immigration?

I'd don't know about you guys, but when I leave there, the police carry my bags, the x-ray guys give me a back rub, and the duty free girl always gives me a two for one deal. Nobody else gets this treatment? :idk:

I'm still waiting for Bra's to be verboten

Me too....! :D

A buddy and I had been working in Alexandria Egypt for a month. On the way home my buddy stopped at a gift store about 30 ft from the airport security checkpoint and bought a souvenir spoon for his Mom. We then proceeded through security where they promptly confiscated the spoon. My buddy was upset but got really P.O.ed about 10 minutes later as he watched the guard return the spoon to the shop.
If people get upset enough not to go to Coz this crap will end. Start a boycott Coz month, let the locals know about it and see what happens then. I would bet that things will change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom