Cozumel/Cancun/PDC recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassybreakfast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

My partner and I are planning a 10 days trip to the area end of April, and would appreciate recommendations on how to spend the time there. She will be finishing up her PADI OW referral there, and I have BSAC SD (~= PADI RD) with about 25 dives.

From my research it seems like the most notable diving in the area is in Cozumel, and cenotes, but I've also heard that neither is really beginner friendly. Since we are flying into Cancun, would starting in Cancun for a few days be a good idea to get the training out of the way with some easier shallow dives, before moving over to Cozumel? Does Cozumel have many interesting dives sites within OW depth limit?

The plan would be then to ferry over to PDC for maybe some easy cenote diving on our way back, as well as do some sightseeing on land.

Also we would like to maybe spend a day on Isla Mujeres, but I heard diving there is not really remarkable and is largely the same sites as Cancun?

In terms of dive shops, I've heard good things about Aldora and Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel, and cenoteXperience in PDC. Is that the general consensus here? Any recommendations for Cancun?

Thanks!

I'd say Cozumel is fine for beginners. I was certified there along with my son who was 13 at the time, and probably thousands of others new divers each year. I just went there in January with a friend who had just finished his OW cert, and we had a great time. A good dive op will take you to places suitable for beginners, and there are plenty of great things to see within less than 20 meters.

I will say that since the diving is drift diving you, as the more experienced, should be sure you have a SMB with you just in case you get separated from the group (ideally, both should have one). Boat captains in Cozumel seem almost magical in appearing even before your safety stop is done most of the time.

However, as to cenotes, I would not recommend them for a brand new diver. I've heard some say that you should have 50 dives before doing cenote dives, but there's no hard rule on it. But a diver should really have their trim and buoyancy dialed in and be very comfortable in the water (and the dark) before going in cenotes. So, in my opinion, I'd skip the cenotes and enjoy the great diving in Cozumel, and be sure to do a couple of night dives which should help your partner get used to diving in the dark, and are usually awesome (and shallow) in Cozumel.

Everyone has their favorite dive shops, and those you list are very popular on here. I like Tres Pelicanos and also like Jungle Divers (Jungle Divers will also guide cenote dives on the mainland, so they could observe your partner and advise on that).

I've never dived in Cancun or Isla Mujeres, but from extensive research it sounds like diving is much better in Cozumel (where I have dived a number of times).

To me, the mainland is mainly for sight-seeing, especially the Mayan ruins in Coba, Tulum, and Chichen Itza. Coba may actually be my favorite of those. If I were younger/single/no kids I might like the night life better on the mainland, but I'm past the Spring Break atmosphere of Cancun at this point.

The San Gervasio Mayan ruins on Cozumel are worth seeing too -- not as large as the mainland ruins, but a nice size Mayan town. Personally I avoid the El Cedral ruins on Cozumel, which are only about the size of a 2-car garage and surrounded by tourist trap shops.

it sounds like you are trying to do too much for being there only 10 days. i would recommend keeping things simple.

i would elliminate isle mujeres

coz is very well known for diving. although to be honest it is not always as great as people make it sound. but a great place to visit regardless. the suthern sites have some beautiful coral formations.

as far as diving coz as a new diver...... i would say it depends. mainly it depends on the currents the day you happen to dive. if the ocean cooperates that day then you will be fine. however, when the current is strong it can be extremely difficult for divers. even some seasoned dives that are not accustom to strong currents can struggle. unfortunately there is no way to predict what the current is like until you are at the site.

PDC can aslo have current of course but persoanlly i have never seen it anywhere near as bad as coz can get. so although the ocean diving is certainly not as good as coz, it may be a bit more predictable. a new diver would still enjoy it. especially if you manage to find some turtles. :)

the cenotes are south of PDC and are a very popular choice for many divers of all levels. for new divers it can be quite easy or they might quickly find out they are not comfortable. it depends on the diver. i personally do not think most newly certified divers should do the cenotes, but it is allowed.

our fav shop in PDC is Tank Ha. you can contact matt there.

in coz we have used many shops. everyone has their favorites. for someone new to coz it may primarily depend where you are staing on the island. that may dictate who you choose to dive with.

Hello!

My partner and I are planning a 10 days trip to the area end of April, and would appreciate recommendations on how to spend the time there. She will be finishing up her PADI OW referral there, and I have BSAC SD (~= PADI RD) with about 25 dives.

From my research it seems like the most notable diving in the area is in Cozumel, and cenotes, but I've also heard that neither is really beginner friendly. Since we are flying into Cancun, would starting in Cancun for a few days be a good idea to get the training out of the way with some easier shallow dives, before moving over to Cozumel? Does Cozumel have many interesting dives sites within OW depth limit?

The plan would be then to ferry over to PDC for maybe some easy cenote diving on our way back, as well as do some sightseeing on land.

Also we would like to maybe spend a day on Isla Mujeres, but I heard diving there is not really remarkable and is largely the same sites as Cancun?

In terms of dive shops, I've heard good things about Aldora and Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel, and cenoteXperience in PDC. Is that the general consensus here? Any recommendations for Cancun?

Thanks!
Your partner could always do the BSAC Advanced Ocean Diver course, before you go, and be qualified to 30m with DSMB.

I'd say Cozumel is fine for beginners. I was certified there along with my son who was 13 at the time, and probably thousands of others new divers each year. I just went there in January with a friend who had just finished his OW cert, and we had a great time. A good dive op will take you to places suitable for beginners, and there are plenty of great things to see within less than 20 meters.
Good to know thanks! I guess if current isn't too strong it should be ok. Though we will probably end up going to PDC first instead, just to do some sightseeing on land while sorting out the training dives.

I will say that since the diving is drift diving you, as the more experienced, should be sure you have a SMB with you just in case you get separated from the group (ideally, both should have one). Boat captains in Cozumel seem almost magical in appearing even before your safety stop is done most of the time.
Definitely. I carry a DSMB... will have to practice that mid-water deployment!

However, as to cenotes, I would not recommend them for a brand new diver. I've heard some say that you should have 50 dives before doing cenote dives, but there's no hard rule on it. But a diver should really have their trim and buoyancy dialed in and be very comfortable in the water (and the dark) before going in cenotes. So, in my opinion, I'd skip the cenotes and enjoy the great diving in Cozumel, and be sure to do a couple of night dives which should help your partner get used to diving in the dark, and are usually awesome (and shallow) in Cozumel.
Yeah this is something we are still thinking about. We would do it at the end of the trip so she should be at maybe 15-20 dives, and not quite brand new then. We will definitely do some night dives!

Everyone has their favorite dive shops, and those you list are very popular on here. I like Tres Pelicanos and also like Jungle Divers (Jungle Divers will also guide cenote dives on the mainland, so they could observe your partner and advise on that).
That's a good idea!
I've never dived in Cancun or Isla Mujeres, but from extensive research it sounds like diving is much better in Cozumel (where I have dived a number of times).
Yeah I think we are going to skip Cancun/IM now.
To me, the mainland is mainly for sight-seeing, especially the Mayan ruins in Coba, Tulum, and Chichen Itza. Coba may actually be my favorite of those. If I were younger/single/no kids I might like the night life better on the mainland, but I'm past the Spring Break atmosphere of Cancun at this point.

The San Gervasio Mayan ruins on Cozumel are worth seeing too -- not as large as the mainland ruins, but a nice size Mayan town. Personally I avoid the El Cedral ruins on Cozumel, which are only about the size of a 2-car garage and surrounded by tourist trap shops.
As snoby Europeans (I am actually Canadian, so only an honourary European at the moment), we would definitely like to avoid the spring break atmosphere as well, and sounds like skipping Cancun is the right choice. Thanks for the suggestions. We will check them out!

it sounds like you are trying to do too much for being there only 10 days. i would recommend keeping things simple.

i would elliminate isle mujeres
Yeah I think you are right. We are pretty sure we are cutting out IM now.
as far as diving coz as a new diver...... i would say it depends. mainly it depends on the currents the day you happen to dive. if the ocean cooperates that day then you will be fine. however, when the current is strong it can be extremely difficult for divers. even some seasoned dives that are not accustom to strong currents can struggle. unfortunately there is no way to predict what the current is like until you are at the site.

PDC can aslo have current of course but persoanlly i have never seen it anywhere near as bad as coz can get. so although the ocean diving is certainly not as good as coz, it may be a bit more predictable. a new diver would still enjoy it. especially if you manage to find some turtles. :)
That is very good to know! We are both pretty inexperienced and easy to please :). Our current plan is to stay in PDC for a few days for the training dives as well as hitting the land sightseeing, before moving over to Cozumel for a few days. Would love to see some turtles!
the cenotes are south of PDC and are a very popular choice for many divers of all levels. for new divers it can be quite easy or they might quickly find out they are not comfortable. it depends on the diver. i personally do not think most newly certified divers should do the cenotes, but it is allowed.
Yeah we will have to see how we fill (and advice from instructors) at the end. We will leave it to the end of the trip so we should be at 15-20 dives then, and hopefully a bit better than brand new.
our fav shop in PDC is Tank Ha. you can contact matt there.

in coz we have used many shops. everyone has their favorites. for someone new to coz it may primarily depend where you are staing on the island. that may dictate who you choose to dive with.
Thanks they look pretty good!

The diving in the shallower sites on the continental side is not as bad as they make it out to be. The reefs are nothing compared to Cozumel, but you can get plenty of very colorful schools of fish and marine life. It’s fine, and plenty fun. See if you can make it out to Puerto Morelos for a dive, nice shallow sites with no or little currents are there. Fish Market is a favorite.

The bad thing is, looks like you will have to wade through plenty of sargassum on the way in this season. None of that in Cozumel.

Hello!

From my research it seems like the most notable diving in the area is in Cozumel, and cenotes, but I've also heard that neither is really beginner friendly.
If diving and dive training is what you are mostly looking for, I would go straight to Cozumel and spend all your time there. The diving is SO much better than the mainland ocean dives, there really is no comparison. And keep in mind that many, many beginning divers do extremely well in Cozumel. It's a very popular destination for newly-certified divers, and deservedly so. You just need a quality dive op that will choose appropriate dive sites for you and your partner, and you may want to hire a private DM for some of your first dives. Nobody on this forum has seen you dive, so we can't comment on your abilities. But I have done hundreds of dives in Cozumel and have seen all levels of divers do fine. In fact, my first post-certification dives were in Cozumel. It's true that the dives can be on the deep side and that there is some current on most of the sites. But there are plenty of absolutely beautiful sites that are shallow and gentle.

The cenotes are an entirely different scenario, and far more advanced IMO. Those dives require excellent buoyancy control and are de-facto overhead dives; not appropriate at all for most beginning divers. I know this because I spend lots of time diving in the cave systems in Mexico and I am deeply familiar with all the popular cenote dives.

As far as sightseeing on land, if you are interested in the Mayan sites, then that's for sure a trip to the mainland and well worth it. But the more famous ones are some distance; Tulum is an hour from PDC, and Chichen Itza is a couple of hours at best. So it's either a very long day or an overnight. There are some beautiful spots to stay on the mainland. But unless you are unusually confident and skilled beginning divers, I would avoid the cenotes on this trip.

would starting in Cancun for a few days be a good idea to get the training out of the way with some easier shallow dives, before moving over to Cozumel? Does Cozumel have many interesting dives sites within OW depth limit?
I did my OW cert. in Cozumel many years ago. We did the shallow water skills as shore dives and the OW dives as boat dives. I was with friends who were already certified and our OW dives were as deep as 90’. Current diving on the wall was not a big deal, we just drifted and watched the beautiful wall go by, while our boat drifted above us. I haven’t been back, except on a recent snorkeling excursion, but it is still one of my most memorable dive trips.

Back
Top Bottom