Cozumel Cell Phone question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First trip to Coz in 11 days - thinking of bringing one of our old iphone 4s's downa dn getting a sim card and a prepaid card. Does anyone know how $$ this is? Our US plan is rather pricey to add in Mexico.

Gosh, US carriers have increasingly been adding Mexico roaming for free--with certain limitations in data capacity and, in some cases, speed. Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T all have at least something for free. What carrier is your phone service with?

AT&T - but the issue seems more we have been grandfathered in for a decade on one of the "old" unlimited plans :D Every time we try to change, add, move - really, to do ANYTHING to our plans or phones - nope, can't do it unless you move to a current plan.

I have a phone with dual Sims. I have straight talk for US and Telcel for Mexico. I think the SIM was $20 and then u can add time at oxxo or online. I do a 30 day data package when I'm there its like $300 pesos I think for 2gb. I did have my local freind set it all up and sync everything for me cause instructions in Spanish of course.
you can order tel cel Sims on amazon but I felt better having my freind set it all up.

Find the main Telcel office, take a number (very important) wait in line, you must show a passport if getting the amigo package. Pick what you want for airtime and data then you will go to a cashier and she will put the pesos on your phone. You will have a local # that you can keep, you only have to put a few pesos on it once a year now to keep it and reactivate your credit. Set up an account on telcel website( google translate will translate most of it) and can do everything from there. I have had the same # for 4 yrs now. Don't try to do it at a kiosk until it's set up. I think it originally cost me $800p for sim, 500 min, and 4 gig data, now maybe $50p a year.

AT&T - but the issue seems more we have been grandfathered in for a decade on one of the "old" unlimited plans :D Every time we try to change, add, move - really, to do ANYTHING to our plans or phones - nope, can't do it unless you move to a current plan.

I activate AT&T's Passport plan when traveling, though with their recent addition of some free roaming in Mexico I may not do so on my upcoming trip. I don't use much data on the go. So your unlimited plan (I had one LONG ago with my original-generation iPhone) isn't compatible with Passport?

Find the main Telcel office, take a number (very important) wait in line, you must show a passport if getting the amigo package. Pick what you want for airtime and data then you will go to a cashier and she will put the pesos on your phone. You will have a local # that you can keep, you only have to put a few pesos on it once a year now to keep it and reactivate your credit. Set up an account on telcel website( google translate will translate most of it) and can do everything from there. I have had the same # for 4 yrs now. Don't try to do it at a kiosk until it's set up. I think it originally cost me $800p for sim, 500 min, and 4 gig data, now maybe $50p a year.

Yep. It is just that easy!!

We were with Sprint for a short while, (one of the dumbest things I've ever done), and bought a cheapie phone at Best Buy and put a Simple Mobile sim card in. I was able to load it up for a nominal amount which would have lasted for the whole trip, but in the event of an emergency which would have required more minutes, I could easily re-load on-line.

Have T-Mobile now, 4 lines with unlimited text, unlimited minutes, 10 GB per line, no roaming for the US, Mexico and Canada for $146.06, with a bunch of stuff that doesn't count against your data usage.

I just looked at current plans, (so that I could tell you specifically what "a bunch of stuff" was). They now have a promotion for 4 lines for $35.00 each plus taxes and fees for unlimited everything. I can tell you with authority, that T-Mobile's taxes and fees are nothing like Sprint's and Verizon's. Don't know about AT&T's taxes and fees, but suspect they're more like the Sprint and Verizon thieves than T-Mobile.

Last edited:
Side note, if the phone is from the U.S. it is probably region locked and won't be able to connect to the towers here even with a proper SIM.

Small independent Telcell shop on calle 1 near ave 25 will make any phone a Mexican phone fast and cheap

Dave Dillehay

Back
Top Bottom