Cozumel Cell Phone question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That doesn't sound great? 60 a month? My Sprint taxes and all is 50 a line, with unlimited everything except calling to land lines maybe? And they subsidize the phone

And free calls and txt in MX with a gig of data whenever I go.

I have Simple Mobile (prepaid plan) with unlimited everything. Btw it truly is unlimited...the Internet does not slow down after a couple gigs.
With whom? How does it work with 10 Gb/month? My grandkids would love that. But then they are stuck on their current plans.

It's a wonder that people still do contracts. I guess the draw is the phone upgrades but I don't mind buying my phones used from Amazon.
I renewed my contract with Verizon to get my iphone 6 plus for $50 in May as I've been with them for 10-20 years and don't anticipate changing. We have two carriers around here, and I like this one better than ATT. There are many other providers, sure - but they furnish thru services they buy from the main two, often only if the circuits aren't busy. My home dive bud tried one of those cheaper prepaid plans many rave about, but hated missing calls even tho he was at his shop in a good coverage area.

But now, Verizon has convinced my kids to buy at full retail! What a gimmick! They do get to pay it off monthly @ $31, with a $20/month discount, so I guess they're paying $11/month x 24 = $264 for the $750 phone - but they are totally committed. They used to break & lose phones a lot, but now they realize that they are stuck with the full $1224 - 24 month deal, they are more careful. They'd hate to have to pay that off while using an old, used basic phone.

Amazon is a source, but often pricey. I can buy my choice in PLBs from the net for $200 after current rebate, but Amazon wants $357 if you just buy without checking and no rebate mentioned. They do have other choices to get it for $250 if you look closely, but no mention of the rebate. And for phones, I really do much better at Ebay. I used to buy many basic phones there to keep the kids connected before they learned to treat them like delicate electronics, which they are. I even bought a few smart phones for my son-in-law and my brother

cvchief: that sprint plan doesn't sound too bad. Since Simple Mobile is prepaid, there are no contracts so I'm not tied down. And I get unlimited data even in MX. They don't subsidize the phone, but you end up paying close to retail if you upgrade with phone companies over time. I just buy used phones online. And it truly is unlimited data...other companies will slow you down after a certain amount.

DD: I guess Simple Mobile might not be available everywhere...I'm in Chicago. I was with TMobile for the longest...but I absolutely hate being in contracts. The only perk is the "subsidized" phones, which is really financing cuz you're paying retail for the phone one way or another. I will say that Simple Mobile's customer service Dept is pretty much non-existent and outsourced to the Philipines, but I haven't had to use them yet.

cvchief: that sprint plan doesn't sound too bad. Since Simple Mobile is prepaid, there are no contracts so I'm not tied down. And I get unlimited data even in MX. They don't subsidize the phone, but you end up paying close to retail if you upgrade with phone companies over time. I just buy used phones online. And it truly is unlimited data...other companies will slow you down after a certain amount.

DD: I guess Simple Mobile might not be available everywhere...I'm in Chicago. I was with TMobile for the longest...but I absolutely hate being in contracts. The only perk is the "subsidized" phones, which is really financing cuz you're paying retail for the phone one way or another. I will say that Simple Mobile's customer service Dept is pretty much non-existent and outsourced to the Philipines, but I haven't had to use them yet.

I disagree. I was with Nextel until they became Sprint. I never had a contract for a long time and I bought phones as you do. Like you, I did not like contracts. I think might throttle after 23GB in month, which is a crazy amount. However, when I moved to an iphone a number of years ago, I decided to go for the subsidy. So now I pay less than you a month and get a phone every 2 years for 60% off retail or so. If you want to say I am 'paying retail' then my monthly service is ALOT less than you are paying, right?

Right now an Iphone 7 is 649 from Apple. I can get on on Sprint with a 2 year contract for 199. The difference is 450 which over the 24 months is 18.75 a month. So if I AM paying retail for the phone, then my monthly service only costs 31.25 a month with taxes.

You really should reevaluate that.

hmm that actually sounds like a great deal. Simple Mobile might not be the best option for everyone, just works for me. Main things I look for in a company is no contracts and good data. I think they do have a 10GB option for a little cheaper, but since work pays for my cell service I get their highest plan. Also, if you want the latest phone...Simple Mobile is probably not the way to go since you'd have to buy the phone. Right now I have the iphone 5s but works fine.

Back
Top Bottom