Cozumel Dive Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone tell me if there is a good dive book regarding sites in Cozumel and Isla Mujeres? Thanks,

Rachel

I bought a dive site book thing while in Cozumel, don't know if it is available until you get there or not. It lists the sites and has a map etc. Nice souvenier.

My, unasked for, two cents if you are thinking of preparing a list of sites to ask for in Coz, don't worry too much about it. Every site we dived was beautiful, even the one I wouldn't put back on my list to do again. Go with the flow - put something out there if you want to, but don't stress if you get voted down on the boat.

If I had three don't miss for myself: Tormentos, Las Palmas and Palancar Wall. But I am glad I didn't go with a list (left it on my desk!!) and just cruised with the boats requests.

After talking to the resident DM I did ask for Chun Chacaab and really glad as this isn't dived very often and it is very different than the other sites. But I was there for two weeks and didn't ask until the next to last day...

This is the best written guide of the Coz sites that I have found. Some of the various dive operations' websites also contain interactive guides/info on the dive sites in Coz.

http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/ I found a copy at my LDS.

ScubaTexas:
This is the best written guide of the Coz sites that I have found. Some of the various dive operations' websites also contain interactive guides/info on the dive sites in Coz.

http://www.cozumeldiveguide.com/ I found a copy at my LDS.
Yep, same one I got. Best one I found before, while there, or after my return.

I think Palankar Bricks (or "Palankar Bridge" depending on what DM I talked to) is my favorite site although to be fair it was the first site I dove ever in Coz so there may be a first love kind of thing for me.

I agree with ScubaTexas and JPG. We purchased the Cozumel Dive Guide online prior to our first trip to Cozumel. It's terrific! The Divemasters on our boat were even looking it at.

I agree completely about the cozumel dive guide, I've seen it and it is great, not sure about it having dive site on the Isla Del Mujeras. I purchased a very similar book to the cozumel dive guide, but the Playa Del Carmen version, that had some dive sites in the open water, along with some of the Cenotes.

Bruce

rachelscott51:
Can anyone tell me if there is a good dive book regarding sites in Cozumel and Isla Mujeres? Thanks,

Rachel
I have 4 books:

The Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun & The Mayan Riviera, by Lawson Wood
Lonely Planet's Diving & Snorkeling Cozumel, by George S. Lewbel & Larry R. Martin
Diving Cozumel, By Steve Rosenberg (2nd Edition)
Cozumel Dive Guide & Log Book, by Underwater Editions

The Dive Sites of Cozumel, Cancun & The Mayan Riviera is nice in that it's the only one I've found that rates the dive sites in Cancun (14 sites), Isla Mujeres/Isla Contoy (13 sites), The Mayan Riviera (72 sites), and Cenotes (10 sites) as well as Cozumel (55 sites). It's got about 65 pages or so of tour-guide stuff/marine life, then it gets into diving. Lots of nice color photos, along with a paragraph on each dive site. It rates them for dive site & snorkel site, 1 to 5 stars each, and includes location, access, conditions, min/max depth, and average vis. 176 pages.

Diving & Snorkeling Cozumel rates 18 different dive sites on Cozumel with 1-3 pages per site. Includes a few pics of each site. Rates it for snorkeling, typical Depth Range, Typical Current Conditions, access, and expertise required. Has about 40 pages of tourist info/Marine Life. 96 pages.

Diving Cozumel has about 60-70 pages of tourist info/marine life, then talks about the dive sites. It rates 33 different dive sites on Cozumel, and provides a small b/w diagram of the reef profile/cross section. It also provides depth and current information, along with anywhere from one paragraph to a couple of pages of description. Lots of nice pictures. Make sure you get the 2nd Edition, as they've enhanced it quite a bit over the 1st. 120 pages

Cozumel Dive Guide & Log Book is very unique from the other three. Somebody has gone to a lot of trouble to map out the complete dive route for the dive sites, and has nice color fold out map/pictograms. Included with this is a page or so of text (2-4 paragraphs) to describe the dive. They rate 25 different dive sites, and compare difficutly, current, formations, & Marine Life. They also show depth and typical bottom times. About 25 pages on marine life, the rest are on dive sites. Great book - I haven't used it yet for diving. Almost every page has a foldout. Includes dive log pages for about 18 dives. ~80 pages.

Acording to the Underwater Editions web page they're supposed to be writing equivelent guidebooks for Riviera Maya and Cancun, but don't think they're out yet.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom