Cozumel divers - what camera are you using these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ron is looking to downsize his camera for several reasons.

#1... we just aren't diving as much as before, and it would be easier to travel with a smaller setup.

#2...we are diving less due to my health primarily. I just don't have the stamina to dive dive dive anymore, so we are doing occasional land based dive trips, and cruises with only 1-2 days of diving more often. I had eye surgery 3 years ago and honestly I can't see crap deeper than about 60', its just all dark, no depth perception. Right eye is as good as its going to get, and I don't feel comfortable deep anymore. Also, there is the energy thing. I am just pooped after a couple of days now, with dragging around gear especially. Our trip to Cozumel last Oct, I did 5 dives only, just 1 per day except last day I did 2 shallow. Thats about my limit now for a week.

#3....I am still shooting video with my GoPro5 and love it. Great for videos topside too. So we have that. We might just let him use that on dives I am not doing, instead of buying a new camera...haven't decided.

So..... instead of Ron taking his Dslr with a zillion ports and lenses which take up a whole suitcase, we want him to find something more portable. He is looking at the Olympus TG-5 with housing. Its stepping back to a point-and-shoot, but would fit into his carryon leaving room for other stuff, like regs and computers. It gets really good reviews but I would like to hear from other divers what they are using and results.

He just isn't as into photography as before either. Yeah, he is getting older too and stamina thing... LOL

robin

I love my GoPros. I use a 5 and a 6. The video stabilization of the 6 is way impressive. I don't want anything bulky when I dive.

I've been shooting with a Canon G 9 for 10 or 11 years using 2 old single power strobes & an quite satisfied with the results but I shoot in RAW & process in CS 6. That camera died in Feb but will be replaced with another used one & I may buy a second one as back up now that they are reasonably priced. Like many I can't see the fine details on screen without some form of reading glasses or prescription lenses for my mask so I don't try much Macro work but the camera does macro quite well out of water & is my preferred tool when shooting cockpits at R/C events. ANY modern P&S in it's housing will do VERY well but the 3 features I'd look for are a way to fire a strobe (usually done thru a fiber optic cable that sees a built in flash go off), RAW capabilities & the option of switching to Macro thru a menu button. (Some may automatically sense the need for Macro & switch automatically).

I've used a Sealife DC 500, a DC1000. Both of those really want the strobe. And therein lies a good question. Are you willing to shoot without a strobe? If you are, that'll really lighten your load.

#2...we are diving less due to my health primarily. I just don't have the stamina to dive dive dive anymore, so we are doing occasional land based dive trips, and cruises with only 1-2 days of diving more often. I had eye surgery 3 years ago and honestly I can't see crap deeper than about 60', its just all dark, no depth perception. Right eye is as good as its going to get, and I don't feel comfortable deep anymore. Also, there is the energy thing. I am just pooped after a couple of days now, with dragging around gear especially.

Have you been to a doctor to access your fitness for scuba? It sounds to me it may be time for you to consider hanging it up before you end up a statistic or a liability to others. Or at least hang it up until you get fit for diving.

For the last couple of years I've been using a SJ Cam 4000 with a Light & Motion Sidekick Duo attached. The pair has made successful trips to 115'. Units work great between 40' and 80'. I attached a GoPro " The Handler " floating hand grip and it made it easier to hold. I need to get a red filter for my next trip to Cozumel.

I am still using the Sealife DC500, without a strobe. I get some good pictures, and some not so good pictures. If I could get those little fish and critters to stay still, I might have better luck :facepalm: When finances permit, I would like to upgrade to the Sealife DC2000.

Divegoose

Actually using 2 setups. I use my sea & sea DX-2G with YS-01 single strobe for stills and a GoPro Hero 4 with 3500lm Big Blue video lights for vids. Nikon D200 & D7000 for above water :D

I have really enjoyed using the S&S cameras, I started renting the DX3000, then, DX5000. I purchased the DX8000 for my first purchase and moved up to the DX-2G a few years ago.

The compact size is easy to travel with, I have a small pelican case (10"x15" ish) it all fits into nicely, fits under the seat in front of me on the plane.

This year I will be taking both set-ups and will be using my Pelican "carry-on" box.

Last edited:
I've been using a Canon Powershot S110 and polaroid housing that I bought about 4 years ago. It had a lens malfunction two years ago and I had to convince the camera shop that it was worth $150 to me to repair it instead of replace it just because of the housing and dive set up. You can't get it anymore (it was old when I bought it), but you can surely find something very similar, but more modern, for about $1,000 for camera and housing, not including strobes. I don't have separate strobes because the diffuser that attaches to the housing works well enough for me.

The second most important thing, for me, when purchasing an underwater camera set up was price (I wasn't going to spend thousands to outfit either of my DSLRs), but it was a very, very distant second from the ability to shoot in RAW format. No RAW, no deal. Modern point and shoot cameras that allow full manual control (and match a housing that allows full manual control at depth) and recording in RAW will all be pretty good as far as image quality goes. And of course, bigger physical sensor size is better than bigger megapixel count, as long as you are getting at least 12 MP.

Whatever camera solution you choose, tie it to yourself at least twice. I read too many stories of lost cameras.

It sounds like you want a good topside camera and if you have used a DSLR you would be familiar with manual mode. TGs have limited manual adjustments. I think you would really like the Canon G7X or Sony RX100. Fast lenses (1.8!) compact, 4K video, full manual mode. :)

Back
Top Bottom