Cozumel Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the posts all. I can't wait to dive. A little bit apprehensive b/c of the first dive in the big blue but its going to be positive energy by the time I get there.

Doug

PlanoDvr1:
Thanks for the posts all. I can't wait to dive. A little bit apprehensive b/c of the first dive in the big blue but its going to be positive energy by the time I get there.

Doug
Well, a few suggestions:

(1) Make sure the Dive Guide and everyone else on the boat knows how new you are.

(2) Carry a safety sausage, storm whistle, and 2 CDs glued back to back for signaling in case you drfit out of sight - which can happen.

(3) If you're on a small boat, they'll have you pass your gear up first before exiting the water. Remind yourself to take the weight belt off first, and buy 4 weight belt keepers for your dive bag, even if you BC is integrated.

(4) And if some macho Guide tries to lead you beyond your training, stick to your training. Then come back to SB and report him and the operator. This is what keeps them safe there.

Don makes some excellent points, as always.

I think it's completely natural to feel a little anxious about your first big dive trip, as well as not knowing the experience in advance. Having a healthy respect for the sea, and the endeavor, is a good place to start. Study the dives and review your training ahead of time, and take it seriously. However, having done my first big dive trip in Coz, I know that one of the most difficult things to keep in mind prior to getting in the water for the first time is to just simply relax. Keeping yourself calm will make a huge difference in how you perform, and can only serve to increase your enjoyment of what I'm sure will be an awe-inspiring and highly life-enriching experience.

All the best to you. You're going to have a great time.

Live the dive!

I noticed your in Dallas. Are you recently certified?

Welcome to the board, I've never heard of Emerald Dolphin so I can't give a arefview on them.
The current can varry so there is no real short answer to the drift diving question, although most of the time the current is very gentle and the drift is just enough where once you get more experianced as a diver you will be able to get neutral boyancy and just "hang" in the water and let the current move you along at a leasurly pace without having to kick at all. no, you won't be moving so fast that you will miss the sea life, and if the current is wanting to push you past something you want to observe longer, usually you can just turn your head into the current and kick gently against it and hover over what you want to see.
the only time I have ever had a really bad current is on my most recent trip we made a night dive and the current was incredable! we we're literally flying thru the water, it felt like being in a car going about 20-25 mph. but this is when hurricane Francis was passing by Cuba and i'm sure that was causing the unusal conditions because the next day it was back to it's regular gentle self.
In other words, just sit back an enjoy the ride, you'll love it the way the rest of do.
welcome to the undersea world, give us a trip report when you get back,
best wishes and happy diving.

PlanoDivr1, you're going to love diving in Cozumel. The diving there is called Drift Diving, because the gentle currents just carry you along and the diving is nearly effortless -- so relaxing!

As Don mentioned, make sure your divemaster knows that this is your first big dive. They will adjust their destination to suit your skill level. Have you picked a dive shop yet? I recommend going with a smaller shop that limits the number of divers per boat. That way, you'll get very personal attention and you'll feel more comfortable.

When I was newly certified and got a little nervous on one dive, the divemaster even held my hand, knowing that I was feeling a little apprehensive. I soon relaxed but he stayed close to me.

We use Eagle Ray Divers. Their boats are small and have some historic significance as they are old Cozumeleno fishing boats that have been refurbished for diving. It's a nice, slow, relaxing day at sea. Plenty of time to collect your thoughts, talk to your divemaster and enjoy the beautiful ocean. ERD has a website if you want to check them out: Eagle Ray Divers.

Have fun! The water in Cozumel is so beautiful and warm and clear. You'll love it!

PlanoDvr1:
I noticed your in Dallas. Are you recently certified?
PlanoDvr1:

Yep, I'm in Big-D too. BTW - I did my cert through Scubatoys as well, just like you did! Larry's shop is awesome, and they're always my first resource for all things Scuba.

Make sure you let us all know about your impressions of your trip when you get back!

Have a good one!!!

I can help with the timing question. I've been to Coz the last two January's and will be there again this January. Did the Reef Club the first year (which I do not recommend, but that's another story) Personally, I like that time of year, everything seems a little less crowded. Since discovering Scuba Club Cozumel, January diving has the added advantage of their annual, or at least it seems annual, pay for one get the second at half price deal. Will be in Coz at Scuba Club this January , only 58 more days! !

Thanks Taucher. I'm guessing by your post and the fact that your going back that the weather is good enough?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom