Cozumel Eagle Ray Takes a Jump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weight actually came from the guys actually weighing it at the dock- not just an estimation. It was incredibly difficult to sit there while it died. By the time we got back on the boat it was already still and unresponsive. Having 3 kids and a very strong maternal instinct, it was so hard not to just sit there, talk to it and stroke its wing. It would have been great to be able to "save" it but there was really no way to do so. If you would have tried to put it overboard it probably would have knocked the boat over. Besides, I don't think the 8 of us could have moved it while on land, let alone out on the water. If it did happen to still be alive and just still, it really could have endangered all of us if it would have begun thrashing around again with us all on the small boat with it. (The tail and barb had broken off when it flew on the boat but an animal this size would still have a lot of power). Finally, if the 3 on the boat when it jumped aboard had somehow managed to get it back in the water, the fact that it was an injured and bleeding creature could have created a frenzy in the water, endangering those of us still diving. I love to dive with large pelagics, but not when they have heard the "dinner bell".

Very sad. I tend to think it was chasing fish and fish were using the boat for cover.

P1040975.JPG

I hope so too. It was interesting that the eagle ray's two "hitch-hikers" aka remoras came aboard as well. One they were able to release but they didn't notice the other one under the bench until it had already died. By the way, thanks Deepstops for uploading one of the pictures. Some day my 11 year old will teach me how to do it myself. :)

How sad for the ray. They are such beautifual and majestic creatures. I an VERY glad no one was hurt. At least we don't hear of this happening too often.

..... it was so hard not to just sit there, talk to it and stroke its wing. It would have been great to be able to "save" it but there was really no way to do so.

I wonder if there would be any way to start the O2 bottle and put the tube near it's mouth.

Rays are not mammals, therefore they do not "breathe" through their mouths. This would not have helped.

Wow. Seems like an incident with violently conflicting emotions. In awe and fascinating being literally up close and personal to see it and horrifically sad, unable to save it.

Quite the fish story, I think you are going to have to carry those pictures around.:D

How so very unfortunate! I love seeing these in the waters here. We have a couple of resident eagle rays here in Playa del Carmen, across from Cozumel. I haven't seen one breach the water yet, though. Manta rays yes...Eagle rays, not yet....but I know they do. ;-)

Wow!! Thanks for posting the photos. This is an amazing and sad story. I'm glad no person was injured.

Yes unfortunately this happens from time to time. You never know what can happen....Just last year I was diving in Bonaire when about 10 dolphins circled around me...they moved in closer and closer until it was a very tight circle. One by one they swam up to me and winked at me and then swam away. Right after the last one got done he nodded his head in one direction and there were 5 Whale Sharks swimming right at me.

Like you I forgot my camera for the dive. My dive buddy didnt notice it either...he turned away briefly and missed it all. :shakehead:

If I were you, without the camera, I would feel a little regret, but if I were the second guy, I would commit suicide! ;-) Diving at Ni'ihau, i was frantically trying to point out a distant, murky elephant seal to a diving buddy, who didn't seem as excited as I expected... Then, she motioned for me to turn around and there was one behind me - it almost tapped me on the back of the head, as if to say "excuse me". I felt like an idiot. But that's one reason why I like diving with other people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom