Cozumel in MY perspective. Um, it's long.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from ABQ. We moved our daughter down there to attend Grad school at UNM. How are the flights from ABQ to Coz? Are there any great deals?
If you stop at the "Two Fools" in ABQ on 66 in Nob Hill say hello to my daughter Jenna. Tell her that old dad said she should buy a Cozuholic a drink! Also tell her to get her passport!!

Kuip, how cool. Now, I'll make a point of dropping in at "Two Fools." I'll admit, we've yet to check it out. Also can't hurt to have a bit of a support system here in ABQ for your daughter.
ABQ to COZ is not pretty, for the time being.
Used to be Houston flew two flights a day into Coz, so you could catch the hop from ABQ to Houston. Now, the flight from here to there arrives 30 minutes late.
Delta takes you through Atlanta, with a way late arrival, AA through Dallas is anyone's guess.
Bottom line, not the easiest- and Cancun arrivals (Coz return) is usually the way it goes.
The best "deal," is the occasional "red hot" on worryfreevacations.com. Buy a SWA ticket to Dallas and stay the night. Round trip out of Dallas to Coz is sometimes as low at $150.
I'll give her a little fatherly advice on getting the passport. It opens up a whole, new world... right?
CK-

Have you tried Frontier? (www.frontierairlines.com). They only go to Coz on Saturdays in the summer, but there is same-day flights through Denver from ABQ. Leave ABQ at 7:35A, arrive Cozumel at 3:20PM. On the return, depart Cozumel at 4:10PM, get to ABQ at 10:50P. Not too bad - and Frontier is terrific to fly!

ckofabq:
Used to be Houston flew two flights a day into Coz, so you could catch the hop from ABQ to Houston. Now, the flight from here to there arrives 30 minutes late.

FWIW, the second plane from HOU has been, for as long as I can remember, an occasional thing. Maybe they don't do it at all any more, but usually it was just on Sundays and maybe Saturdays, and not all of them.

Nice report.

One bit confused me;

"Santa Rosa Wall shocked me. Looked like the Rocky Mountains after the first snow"

So much sand that it looked snow covered,

or

as beautiful as the Mountains after the first snow?

Thanx, oh Cozaholic.

<<Have you tried Frontier?">>
Good suggestion, BurBunny I'll look at it again.

Gordon, I guess we have been spoiled by having the timing (dumb luck) to get that connection in the past. Continental was kind enough to tell us to watch for its return before our Dec. departure for a possible reschedule.

And Shepman, good point. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that wall sure was white.

ckofabq:
Gordon, I guess we have been spoiled by having the timing (dumb luck) to get that connection in the past. Continental was kind enough to tell us to watch for its return before our Dec. departure for a possible reschedule.

You should call them periodically and ask; if you go to the website you have to be asking about the particular day it happens to be running to see it at all. it's also possible that they run it more frequently in the winter when I'm not looking.

cko, that is a wonderful trip report. I wish I had your way with words. I kinda have a soft spot for Coz as well. Although I haven't been around the globe yet I've been to a few other places in the Carribean and Coz just holds a soft spot in my diving heart. And it's not all about the diving. It's the town and the people, too. They go out of their way to make us Americans welcome; something that doesn't happen everywhere. And I don't think it's all about the all-mighty buck either. It's just the way they are.

I'm actually considering renting a place there and staying for several months a year. I may as well learn some Spanish. Lord knows I'll soon need it to live here in the states anyway. Man, diving can get expensive.

bfisher, my dad used to say, "I hope someone pays you to run your mouth when you get older."
I did the tee-vee nooz thing for 25 years until I just couldn't stand what local news had become. Just the stuff between car commercials, plucking "low hanging fruit" (ie fires, shootings, crashes).
Being a dirt merchant (and full-time granddad) is a heckuvalot more fun!
It's amazing how much Spanish we pick up living here in the southwest, but you're so right... it's almost mandatory that we get in the game, or at least make sure our next generation speaks more than just English.
Thanks for your note. Your words came through clear as a bell.
Craig-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom