Cozumel..Need Suggestions Please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, and Las Anclas is IN town! just a couple blocks from the Plaza. Although I think you will have to be "shuttled" to the Caleta to dive, but I'm pretty sure the hotel provides transportation.

Tres Pelicanos arranges Taxi rides to the Caleta. Great shop, and nice hotel. Some people complain about the drive to the Caleta, however I find it a great time to strike up a good conversation with other divers before getting on the boat. Kind of an interview, its amazing what you can find out from a group of people in less then 10 minutes.

Yes Don, I am talking about Villa las Anclas at 5a Avenida Sur 325. And yes, Tres Pelicans has a shop there.

Las Anclas will not provide transportation to the Caleta, but Tres Pelicanos will. I stayed at El Cid and Tres Pelicanos always provided transportation for me. Sometimes they picked me up at the El Cid Pier, sometimes they picked me up themselves, and sometimes they provided me with a taxi. Just a great dive shop that treats you like family (well, better than some families LOL)

Yikes. Don't say it out loud. If the taxis EVER see 3P hauling divers they will surround the vehicle with their cars and force it to a stop and make a GIANT scene. It will probably end with you in a taxi to finish the ride. Of course the taxi guys will be nice to you.

The other option is rent a car. You can get one cheap and then do what you want. I like driving to caleta and then we wander through town figuring out where to stop for lunch. Without fail we choose a first choice that is closed or something and then we are like, 'what about that other place that has the really good things cheap? What street is that on?' then we circle a couple blocks. Sometimes we find it and sometimes we give up and got to an old stand by. Its an adventure all it own!

Last edited:
That must be a tough swim. What's your air consumption like?

Hey I haven't had a cervesa yet today. Plus I go with the current and I have those special fins with the rubber bands. And I use nitrox which increases my in-town time....

Aren't supposed to be on the boat and not on here nattering on? We are waiting for you!! :)

Aren't supposed to be on the boat and not on here nattering on? We are waiting for you!! :)

Fly down tomorrow, one more day at work- flight leaves at 6 a.m. We are supposed to get 3 inches of snow overnight, so we are a bit nervous about making it to the airport, since plows aren't usually out that early!

Fly down tomorrow, one more day at work- flight leaves at 6 a.m. We are supposed to get 3 inches of snow overnight, so we are a bit nervous about making it to the airport, since plows aren't usually out that early!

If you have the option of a hotel stay/park, do that then you are at least within a shuttle distance of the airport.

If you have the option of a hotel stay/park, do that then you are at least within a shuttle distance of the airport.

If we can't get there, a shuttle won't be able to either. The hotel by the airport has to take the same road we do. For us it's a 15 mile drive, and we are going to give ourselves an hour and a half to do it- but the bigger worry is the plane won't leave.

If we can't get the 6 a.m. plane to Atlanta, we can't get there; today it was 77 minutes late, which would leave us only 30 minutes for our connection- and I don't think we'd make an international connection in that). We think if there is space on the 3:00 plane to Atlanta we can maybe get to Cancun, but it is a late flight, so we'd probably end up stuck in Playa del Carmen for the night. (Still stuck in PdC is preferable to stuck in Iowa...)

I guess this is just a new thing for me to freak out about, since I finally decided to stop freaking out about the diving.

If we can't get there, a shuttle won't be able to either. The hotel by the airport has to take the same road we do. For us it's a 15 mile drive, and we are going to give ourselves an hour and a half to do it- but the bigger worry is the plane won't leave.

If we can't get the 6 a.m. plane to Atlanta, we can't get there; today it was 77 minutes late, which would leave us only 30 minutes for our connection- and I don't think we'd make an international connection in that). We think if there is space on the 3:00 plane to Atlanta we can maybe get to Cancun, but it is a late flight, so we'd probably end up stuck in Playa del Carmen for the night. (Still stuck in PdC is preferable to stuck in Iowa...)

I guess this is just a new thing for me to freak out about, since I finally decided to stop freaking out about the diving.

You live in Iowa not Arizona. 3 inches of snow will not stop you from getting to the airport. You can make your connection in 30 minutes. I suggest if you have your own gear. Pack your goggles, BC, regulator and wetsuit(if you want) in your carry on. Take a deep breath and relax. Freaking out will not change the outcome. I used to stress about everything. And by the time I got to our destination I needed a 12 pack of beer to make me right.

Have an awesome trip.

Deep Blue, Blue XTC, Aqua Safari, Aldora Divers, and maybe others pick up right downtown and have offices within steps of most all down town hotels. That means you have a wide variety of costs and services to choose from. My favorite hotel is the economical Bahia Suites, of course you might deduce who my favorite dive shop is!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom