Cozumel non-diving all inclusive packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Hotel Cozumel
-1 for Hotel Barracuda (not sure if they have an AI, but the crusie ship crews hit this place when in port and the facilities were pretty ran down; they look better on the the website)

Casa del Mar has AI. Did it once for a few days. You order off the menu and it got old fast...!!

I personally am not a big fan of AIs most of the time. On Coz I prefer to have breakfast include, but lunch and dinner I really like to explore other options each day/night.

What kind of All Inclusives do you think your non-divers are looking for? And what non-diving aspects of Cozumel did you manage to sell them on? It might make a difference in what gets recommended. I haven't done any Coz AIs, but we have stayed in a number of places and also used Hotel Cozumel just as a place to sleep. I wouldn't give it a blanket thumbs-up--especially if the travelers are not super low-maintenance.

While its proximity to town is great, there are quite a few resorts that will have prettier beaches (Hotel Cozumel has a very decent fake-a-beach setup) and, I'm guessing, nicer rooms (our room was comfortable, but also small and spartan without much decor--we talked to some fellow divers in a "deluxe" ocean view who also said their rooms were bare-bones in looks). And the property is on the inland side of the road, so only a few rooms have anything approaching an ocean view. It is, however, fairly cheap, with nice-enough public areas. And if you want to learn the "gangnam-style" video dance moves next to the pool, or are amused by listening to a bunch of people (cruisers?) get a loud, peppy "Mexican food and drink" lesson, it might be your place. There are plenty of resort activities, a tour desk, etc. They also have those underwater air-helmet scooters onsite--they don't go very far, but they attracted a fair amount of non-divers who appeared to enjoy looking at a few colorful fish eye-to-eye, and the scuba guys who were shepherding them along found little underwater things to show them and pass around, plus take pictures. It's sort of fun to watch, because the people doing it look to be very happy, and their heads look like little baseballs thanks to the curvature of the helmets.

And for all I know, the food might be great--we didn't eat a thing there. But if you're looking for something a little more upscale, you might want to look farther afield. Or you might love it if you're just looking for your basic needs to met with economy and convenience.

For us, location means a lot in Cozumel. We used to stay at La Ceiba, which now also has an AI option. The grounds look pretty nice these days, but it's really, really close to the cruise ships. For some, that's a plus. For some, including us, a minus.

From the street, the Palace has always looked good and has a great, close-to-town location. As long as your friends won't be diving, I'd also look at a few places north of town (are any AI? That I don't know). My experiences in that direction are limited, but it strikes me as quieter and overall maybe a bit prettier.

They want an AI because neither are sure if they are comfortable venturing about. They want to go when I go again, but if they don't, they thought an AI might be a good option. I told them that I would also just get them going (without an AI) and tell them where to visit (that I've been) while they are down there. They will probably snorkel.

I'm not sure what particular part that enamored her. I will ask.

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate it!

You're stuck in the middle of this, but it would be helpful to know more about their preferences & goals. I liked the Hotel Coz AI because I could eat breakfast & lunch at the same dock my boat would use to pick me up, then I was free to loaf - and my only dinner plans were to be awake & dressed before they closed as it was just down the hall. The AI is so cheap there that many will do breakfast & lunch, then go into town for dinner. I don't worry about getting enough to eat.

About the only risk they might incur venturing out would be overcharged by a taxi. As long as they have a destination in mind and discuss rates before boarding, shouldn't be a problem - until midnight anyway. If they get the Cozumel map & guide at Can-Do maps they can plan from it, altho I do not agree with all of their preferences.

Surprised no one mentioned Iberostar. Stayed there twice. Thought the food was good and enjoyed the entertainment at night. Swim up bar in the pool and the entertainment folks were good. I now prefer staying closer to town as this is as far south as you can get.

I think all of the southern resorts are AI since there is no place around to obtain food. They seem more popular with non-divers even tho they are closer to the popular dive sites. I guess any of them would do for a first visit if one wanted to stay on property and avoid the island in general - a good idea on Jamaica but sad for Coz.

Back
Top Bottom