Cozumel questions - staying on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's an urban myth, kind of like Canadians live in igloos, eat whale blubber, and all play hockey. Or wait, that last one is pretty accurate.

I eat EVERYWHERE in Cozumel...I buy food from street vendors, small stands, etc. etc. etc. I drink stuff with ice in it, I drink the water offered to me (it's usually bottled), whatever. I can only think of twice that I have been sick and it was after eating at two well-established, highly recommended restaurants. It has virtually nothing to do with the water, or AIs but more about kitchen practices and cross-contamination such as cutting up a raw chicken and then later using the same board, uncleaned, to chop the salad. Those things happen everywhere in the world.

One thing you need to be aware of is that if you travel to the east side of the island, there is no electricity. So no HOT water for washing dishes or electricity for refrigeration. So order food with that in mind. Otherwise, go crazy eating the local grub. If a restaurant is full of locals, the food - and kitchen cleanliness standards - is likely good to eat.

I have a question about eating at "native" places. Are you at risk to catch some kind of a bug? I heard that eating at all inclusive places is more safe as they more likely to boil water more and etc. Thus, if I will go to a local pizza, will I have stomach runs for the rest of the trip?

Last edited:
AI foods are not safer than restaurant foods. Some AIs don't even cook; they have the meals delivered from other sources - and you have to wonder how well they are kept hot in transit. Generally, the food, bottled water, and ice is as safe as in Texas, altho it's good to have your Hep A Vaccs for either place.

When I was looking at airfare/hotel deals on Orbitz in March, the Fiesta Americana was the cheapest AI. I stayed there and was pleased. The food is decent and their dive op, Dive House is excellent.
I didn't go that far in my searching, but then many dive Ops will pick divers up there if booked - altho it can be handy to use the house op.

I've never stayed at the FA, but it's probably nice with good enough food. I don't think I'd want to stay at any remote AI for 2 weeks tho.

I got all my gear now, was not easy blowing so much during one month. Got travel BCD too.

I am also totally set with all the accessories except lift bags and nitrox tester. Something I will buy by September. Not that I need a lift bag, just fun will be to play with locally.

PS: Got the greatest SMB Dive Alert Deluxe Surface Marker Buoy
A SMB is good to carry even if you don't shoot it from a reel; if you want to shoot with reel, practice first - with a buddy who can cut you out if you screw up. Nitrox analyzers are nice to carry, but remember that sensors age from the time they are made. Get one if you want to but find out how old the sensor is.

A few years ago there was a single guy who posted an awesome account of his Budget stay. Unfortanately I can't remember the OP, however, Dandy Don, if you are reading this, perhaps you have that magic as to where to find this information for Texasguy.
I do not remember his name, sorry - but he was a backpack type. Walked way too much for me, did mostly shore dives, bought his dinner roll one place and main course another place. :silly:

Texas, you should be fine eating the food since it's been cooked. Watch out for water, ice, and non-cooked food like salad items. When you get drinks, ask for it without ice.

Nonsense.

You most certainly do not have to watch out for water and ice.

Asking for a drink, whether hard or soft, without ice is just a bunch of hooey.

I travel to Mexico all the time. Resort towns, inland industrial towns, growing manufacturing towns...

... drink the water, eat the ice, eat the food. If you catch a bug, it'll be because anybody not used to the local crap would have. Not because the food or water is somehow contaminated or unclean.

The east side does have electricity, it may be generated, but the restaurants do have their food refridgerated and there is hot water.. cuz I just took a shower last night in my hotel room over there (Ventanas del Mar). Don´t know where someone would have the idea that the east side establishments don´t have the proper ways to keep food cold and frozen and hot water to clean with. I also think the advice for tipping the maid and restaurants servers "a buck" is way outdated. My husband is a local man and he tells me that most maids only make $5 a day for cleaning several rooms over the course of many many hours. Our room here at the Colonial Suites is spotless everyday when we return from our outings... we think the maids deserve much much more than a $1 propina a day and the servers split tips with the entire crew working at the restaurant, therefore I believe they deserve a team tip which is far more than a $1.

The east side does have electricity, it may be generated, but the restaurants do have their food refridgerated and there is hot water.. cuz I just took a shower last night in my hotel room over there (Ventanas del Mar). Don´t know where someone would have the idea that the east side establishments don´t have the proper ways to keep food cold and frozen and hot water to clean with. I also think the advice for tipping the maid and restaurants servers "a buck" is way outdated. My husband is a local man and he tells me that most maids only make $5 a day for cleaning several rooms over the course of many many hours. Our room here at the Colonial Suites is spotless everyday when we return from our outings... we think the maids deserve much much more than a $1 propina a day and the servers split tips with the entire crew working at the restaurant, therefore I believe they deserve a team tip which is far more than a $1.

I think having an emergency generator is the definition of no electricity in the common vernacular. Most of the places we have visited had ice. No hot water in the can, but I imagine gas heats the food and kitchen water.

On the other hand, I believe in tipping well, too.

I haven't explored the east side, but I'm confident that the proprietors do whatever is needed to keep food safe. Their business would quickly fail otherwise, among other reasons. Nice to know that hotel has hot showers. I think many places on the island use those black roof tanks to warm water with the sun, then heat additionally - and it's probably a challenge to transport fuel to run generators and heaters, but it can be done. Using water from those black roof tanks that is not additionally heated has some risks, and I've had some luke warm showers at hotels on the west side - but generally things go well.

Even tho the thread theme is doing Coz on the Cheap, I did suggest the OP budget $10/trip for DM tips and "tip hotel maids at least a buck/night & waiters at least a buck meal" while I generally leave more myself for all those, even at self serve AI buffets. Hotel Coz is one of those that advertises their deals "include tax and tips" which I think is unfair to service employees. Maybe some resorts do that to attract Europeans, who I've heard don't tip hardly at all? I guess being married to a local might make you feel more in this area, but there are limits to how much we can ask visiting tourists to do in compensating for the national culture and how property owners treat employees. :idk:

Well, I think it's nice to be nice to the locals we encounter, especially tipping service employees and do encourage the idea when it comes up in discussion. I don't like telling anyone they're not doing enough for the locals tho, as is sometimes seen here. The island needs more tourists, not reasons to go elsewhere.

there are very inxpensive but very nice hotels downtown. the one i use when i am trying to save is aqua safari inn across from the water. large rooms for $40 with reliable ac.
from there you create your own ai with the many nearby inexpensive but wonderful restaurants like los palmas, los sera, chlilangos. etc.
you will enjoy the people of coz and interact with them when the gingos del barco are gone. be sure to be on the square sunday eve.
you also have your pick of dive ops when you are downtown. most will keep your gear for you. so all you have to do is walk 2 blocks for your boat, sit next to your gear and get underway. with about 22 trips to coz i use aldora.

I fed my family of 9 at chilango's with beer,aqua frescas and hurachos for $39 dollars.There are so many small local restaurants to eat at in Coz. I usually buy empanadas at a corner store on 10th for breakfast it runs about $4 dollars and feeds all 5 of us.

Check out Bay Adventures, they are good at putting together a package of hotel and dive trips

Cozumel vacation accommodations Mexico - Bay Adventures Vacations

Hotel Barracuda is not all inclusive but has a refrigerator in the room and a supermarket two blocks away. There are lots of inexpensive restaurants near by. Get an immersion heater for your morning coffee. The 7 night, 5 dive day special is about as cheap as you are going to get.

http://www.bayadventures.com/cozumel/rates.htm#barracuda

Back
Top Bottom