Cozumel sea conditions & sea sickness...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243

Contributor
Reaction score
I get seasick on dive boats if the water is rougher than 1'-2'. How often in cozumel is it rougher than that? Is there a certain time of year when it is less rough?

Thanks

Bless your heart for hanging in there and sticking with it. I was sick on every dive for the first 3 years of diving. Sometimes I incurred criticism from other divers as to why I bothered to dive at all. When we finally found our way to Cozumel, we happened on a wider boat then we had been on in the Keys and Cancun and the problem was solved. Maybe it will be the answer for you too.

I get seasick on dive boats if the water is rougher than 1'-2'. How often in cozumel is it rougher than that? Is there a certain time of year when it is less rough?

Thanks

The winter months are virtually always rougher due to the north winds.

The late spring and early summer months (May - July) are when conditions are typically very flat.

I will also say that while the smaller boats tend to be a faster bumpier ride in rough seas...people who are seasick prone typically do better on these boats. It is usually the rocking motion of the larger boats that causes problems in the equilibrium.

Good luck and hang in there!

Don't know about a calmer time of year, but we usually notice that it's much calmer in the mornings, the waves & the wind tend to pick up as the day goes on ....

Don't know about a calmer time of year, but we usually notice that it's much calmer in the mornings, the waves & the wind tend to pick up as the day goes on ....

This really has more to do with the wind speed and direction than time of day...especially this time of year.

and get a 6 dollar bottle of Bonine. Its a low level, non drowsy form of dramamine. Take one per day in the morning. It works.

Oh my! You want to go boat diving and hope to keep the waves to 1 to 2 feet? Sorry to tell you the hard honest truth, but if you are going to boat dive, get used to it or take some medication. You are on a boat in the ocean, gulf, sea, etc. Chances are that most of the time you will, if you dive on a regular basis, encounter seas rougher than 1 to 2 feet. And if you only dive once a year on a boat you should still expect seas rougher than that. You can descend when the seas are as calm as glass and surface to a chop that will be a real challenge just to climb up the ladder. If you want guaranteed calm water, dive an inland lake and only after reading the wind forecast for that day. You dive the seas, you will encounter waves. If waves bother you, always pack the little helper. I don't get sea sick, but I still keep it in my bag.

Ok maybe 1-2 ft was a little low #... but any more than 3 ft does get me. Maybe I'll stick w/ Bonaire... shore diving = win!

Ok maybe 1-2 ft was a little low #... but any more than 3 ft does get me. Maybe I'll stick w/ Bonaire... shore diving = win!

The contrast between Bonaire and Cozumel diving is so great you should not miss either.

My dive buddy gets sea sick easily-North shore of Grand Cayman was a real disaster for her-Cozumel, while not flat has not been a problem except on the very worst days. Thankfully those have been few.

Tim

Get some Trip Tone.

I "feed the fish" all the time regardless of waves, conditions, how much (or little) I drank the night before and found it easy to just take it before every dive no matter what. After throwing up in the rinse bucket inbetween dives, I decided it wasn't fair to my buddies, fellow divers or myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom