Cozumel travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year it was taking people hours to get to Cancun airport and some had to walk to get there.
Ha--yes, we got caught in that traffic nightmare, missed our flight home, and had to stay in a hotel overnight. Okay okay, I'll take off my rose-colored glasses now!

I just checked flights into Cancun and if I save any money, it's not worth the effort. Standing in line for the ferry is a pain and with the traffic who knows how long it will take to get to the airport. Last year it was taking people hours to get to Cancun airport and some had to walk to get there.
Of course, how much money (if any) you would save on air fare depends on where you are coming from, and then you have to figure in the time, trouble, and expense of getting to and from the Cancun airport. It will be worth it for some and not for others. For me, it's not, but lots of people do it.

I recently booked flights to Cancun from the West coast of Canada. The flight is about 7.5 hours and gets me into Cancun at about 5:30. With the road transfer to Playa del Carmen and the ferry trip, I can get to Cozumel the same evening. I looked into flying into the Cozumel airport, but it would be about $600 extra each and the flights take almost 2 days, including an overnight 6-hour layover (which when you factor in airport security times, isn't really enough time to get a hotel and have more than a quick nap). Basically, depending on your location, flying into Cancun can be much quicker and more convenient.

I recently booked flights to Cancun from the West coast of Canada. The flight is about 7.5 hours and gets me into Cancun at about 5:30. With the road transfer to Playa del Carmen and the ferry trip, I can get to Cozumel the same evening. I looked into flying into the Cozumel airport, but it would be about $600 extra each and the flights take almost 2 days, including an overnight 6-hour layover (which when you factor in airport security times, isn't really enough time to get a hotel and have more than a quick nap). Basically, depending on your location, flying into Cancun can be much quicker and more convenient.
yeah. that sucks. Aren't you closer to La Paz?

Of course; see post #32. :D

If I'm flying in the winter I also figure in the probability of weather delays in the States for connecting flights. If I can get a nonstop into coz that is preferred. If I have a connection I decide if I want it to be in the States or in Mexico. A connection in Texas or Atlanta vs the bus and ferry in a no brainier for me in the winter time.

yeah. that sucks. Aren't you closer to La Paz?
Marginally. Flights cost a bit more to there. Basically we wanted more of the Caribbean sort of ecosystem. To me Baja seems kind of desolate. And I don't know if there is much in the way of shore diving and snorkeling. From the satellite image, the shoreline seems mostly sandy. Plus I don't feel like paying hundreds or potentially thousands of dollars extra in customs fees to take underwater photos there.

Marginally. Flights cost a bit more to there. Basically we wanted more of the Caribbean sort of ecosystem. To me Baja seems kind of desolate. And I don't know if there is much in the way of shore diving and snorkeling. From the satellite image, the shoreline seems mostly sandy. Plus I don't feel like paying hundreds or potentially thousands of dollars extra in customs fees to take underwater photos there.
but the seals!

Where I live (Vancouver Island), there are tons of sealions (both California and the much bigger Steller's sealions) so diving with sealions wouldn't be a huge draw for me. index
Eeeeeeee!!!! Flying dogs. that just looks like so much fun. I need to be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom