cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msjones

Reaction score
I'm going to coz. next weekend and i've heard alot about Devils Throat, anyone out there ever dive it? Any info will be appreciated.

Hi

I personally haven't dove on Devil's Throat but my other half has ... he's an Instructor ... you can email him at dillon3512@home.com if you would like some information. Thanks!

The Throat is just part of a series of tunnels that runs through Punta Sur reef. You'll enter the first of the tunnels at about 85 feet and exit Devil's Throat around 125ft. Currents vary from mild to kickin'. Considering the depths involved and the currents, Punta Sur is an advanced dive and should not be attempted unless you have experience in both those areas.

There are several ways to enter and exit Devil's Throat...you can enter the backside, which is considered Devil's Butt! Or enter the side tunnel which is Devil's Ear. See, there are several options and different dive operators call the various entrances different names. But the Throatis in the center and is always called Devil's Throat.

I can only stress that you only do this dive if you are qualified to do so.

Hello msjones,

Been diving it for 17 years & still enjoy it.

The Devil's Throat, or La Garganta Del Diablo in Spanish, is a site in the Punta Sur area, with Columbia Reef to the north & Chun Chacaab to the south. It is not, however, one & the same as Punta Sur which includes other dive sites as well.

Devil's Throat is not a cave, but rather an extended swim-through. Although dark in spots & an overhead environment throughout, at all or nearly all points during the dive you will be able to see some a route of escape with ambient light, although at times this will be behind you. The most commonly used entrance is at 75'-80', and exits are at one of two main openings, one to the upper left at about 116', and another to the lower right at about 127'. It is quite a sight to exit and look out into the blue, but it is not abyssal--about 55'-65' from where you exit you can see an expanse of sand & patch reef bottom tapering downward. For much of its extent, the dive exhibits a relatively gradual slope through most of its extension & in many places has room for two divers either side-by-side or over-and-under.

For a diver qualified to do this site, an 80CF cylinder should provide adequate gas to do it, a few of the side trips, any obligated deco stops & a safety stop--I have done so. However, I prefer to do it with a 100CF or greater both because of the long string of other "throats" & swim-throughs that can be covered, and for a margin of safety. But, in many dives there I have never been seriously uncomfortable with an 80, and I'm not the world's most parsimonious on air.

As to whether it's Coz "best dive," that of course is a matter of taste. IMHO, it is very fun dive, but there are others I like better. I know a number of long-time Coz divers who share similar sentiments.

Love live Coz.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom