Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robmaria

New
Reaction score
I am planning a dive trip--I'll be traveling alone--to Cozumel in mid-March. Can anyone suggest a nice hotel and a good dive shop/master? I prefer hotels and dive shops/outfitters that are outstanding, but on the smaller size.
Thanks!

Cheap, I can help...
"Outstanding" - well, that's a bit harder...
Rick

If you are not looking for a resort, just a nice small place to stay, try Hacienda San Miguel. The staff is outstanding - all three of them.

http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com

For diving we use Cristina Roman, an independent divemaster. Tell her what you want ahead of time and it will be all set up for you. She's outstanding too.

criroman@cozumel.mx.com

Tom

Robmaria,
Check out Pappa Hoggs, it's a small operation in the middle of the island on the beach, with his own small condo type hotel across the street. Divemasters are tops, fast 6-pack boats. Pappa & Mamma Hogg are really great people. Also have their own dive shop all in that same area.

Don #33

Thank you for your helpful responses!!! Alicia's B&B looks good to me. Do you think I should take the drift diving specialty course?? I've never done that before.

Any tips on what to see(underwater)? What not to waste one's time on? I plan on being their for about six days and will dive four of them. Also--is the weather generally alright in mid-March?

Thanks in advance for your help! I do GREATLY appreciate it.
I've only been diving since August--when I was certified, but got my Advanced Open Water Cert in December. I love diving--maybe because I'm a Pisces(smile). I'm also a relative late comer to the sport because of my age--40(41 in a few months--the Cozumel trip is my birthday present to myself).

Roberta

I may have misinterpreted your msg, but seems like you are going to dive alone,, if you are please be careful! It has been beatin into my head that is something you dont do, but I expect alot of the divers that are here and have many years experience do,,,,can anyone shed some light on this subject?

You don't need a drift diving specialty. Be sure and tell the divemaster it's your first drift dives and he'll tell you everything you need to know.

See everything you can underwater! LOL The important thing is to tell the DM of your experience up to this point, and he'll make sure you see plenty of stuff. I know I sound repetitive but the DM is your best bud while you're there. Once he sees your abilities, he'll better know where to take you. All the good stuff is 30ft to 60ft anyway! If you go to Cedar Pass (Paseo del Cedral) look for old Frank. He's a big green Moray that used to be fed alot. Whenever he sees divers, he comes out to greet you. He likes to be petted but be careful of the pointy end!

Enjoy your trip!

DO NOT FORGET TO DO A NIGHT DIVE
This will be a remarkable experience for a novice diver.
The night diving is superb and will make you wishing for the sun to go down. The march of the lobsters is really cool. Be sure & check out the reefs close & you might catch a carriebean octopus looking back at you. And keep an eye over your shoulder & you might find the squid following you.

Don #1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom