Craigslist ad in Roanoke, VA - DSS Backplate and wing for $35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LMAO!! I need to add that to my calling cards...

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 05:03 PM ----------

Update: I just talked to the guy. He wasn't sure about details. He's had it but not used it for 10 years, and he was not home just then, so he couldn't look at it. But, it was his own unit and he's about my size, and he used it for single tank diving in the Caribbean. So, we made a deal and I just paypaled him money based on a guesstimate for shipping. He said he would take it down and ship it tonight. Christmas is coming early! WORST case, I'm out $65...

FedEx says it's Out For Delivery. w00t! w00t!

Yeah! I'm glad that you were able to get such a great deal. I purchased a DSS bp/w a couple of months ago and now consider myself an evangelist for DSS bp/w diving.

Big thanks to you, arkheel for posting that! I reckon you could have tried to nab it yourself and become a hoarder. Or just tried to flip it and make a buck. I am very grateful that you were so generous with that link.

Now I'm just hoping that it's all in good shape and not messed up from possibly being stored improperly for so long. I got a Christmas bonus that is buying me my first reg set and computer. If this BP/W is good to, I will only have to rent tanks in the future!

---------- Post added December 10th, 2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

Okay! I received it today and it looks like brand new! I blew it up manually to as full as I could. I couldn't get an OPV to pop off by blowing it up manually, but the butt dump and inflator hose dump both seem to work just fine. It's been inflated for 3 or 4 hours now and still feels as tight as when I blew it up.

It has delrin cam straps and included 2 XS Scuba trim weight pockets. The wing does have a zipper. I pulled half the bladder out to inspect and it looks like new, too.

So now I'm wondering what size the BP is and how much lift the wing is. When I first tried it on, the shoulder straps were setup way too small for me. I'm wondering if the PO was using a smaller BP than what I need.

I'm going to look on the DSS website to see if I can find dimensions or something I can use to tell what size and lift I have. In the meantime, I posted pictures here, if any of you can tell me anything about this rig from the pictures.

http://s227.photobucket.com/user/stuartv/library/DSS BPW

Just measured the DSS backplates at our house. The small plate is about 10 inches wide by 13 inches long (widest by longest dimensions). The medium backplate is 10 1/2 inches wide and 15 inches long. Your wing looks like it is an LCD wing (either the 30 or the 40). DSS's website has some good photos that show their wing dimensions.

Thanks, arkheel. I emailed the dimensions and pictures to DSS this morning and they responded just now.

They said I have a Medium backplate and an LCD 30 wing.

They recommend that I use a Large backplate and, for my upcoming trip to the Caribbean, they recommend a Torus 17 wing.

From what I have read about these things, I think keeping the LCD 30 wing will be okay. Maybe not the exact ideal, but should work just fine. And, I think, be just about ideal for when I dive at home, in a 7mm suit.

What I really want to know now is whether I NEED to try and swap the Medium BP for a Large, or if having one size off on BP is like having a 30# wing instead of a 17? I.e. not ideal, but will really still work just fine.

Thoughts, anyone?

What I really want to know now is whether I NEED to try and swap the Medium BP for a Large, or if having one size off on BP is like having a 30# wing instead of a 17? I.e. not ideal, but will really still work just fine.

Thoughts, anyone?

I dive a HOG 32lb wing in warm (and cold water). Yes its more wing than I need in warm water, but it hasn't been a problem worth solving.

Thanks, arkheel. I emailed the dimensions and pictures to DSS this morning and they responded just now.

They said I have a Medium backplate and an LCD 30 wing.

They recommend that I use a Large backplate and, for my upcoming trip to the Caribbean, they recommend a Torus 17 wing.

From what I have read about these things, I think keeping the LCD 30 wing will be okay. Maybe not the exact ideal, but should work just fine. And, I think, be just about ideal for when I dive at home, in a 7mm suit.

Thoughts, anyone?

One of the things I like about DSS is that he wants your rig to be *perfect*. However, I'd dive your current BP/W without hesitation both cold and warm.

One of the things I like about DSS is that he wants your rig to be *perfect*. However, I'd dive your current BP/W without hesitation both cold and warm.

Thanks, C Dub. I just got off the phone with Tobin and I see exactly what you mean. He recommended a Large with a Torus 17 for me and he spoke to me almost as if he was offended that I was considering using a Medium w/LCD 30 and annoyed that I was asking for a characterization of the performance I might expect by diving the M/30.

I'm going to take the whole rig to my LDS this afternoon and get some help, and probably a new main harness strap, from them.

In the meantime, if anyone has a size Large DSS stainless steel BP that they would like to trade for a Medium, I would be happy to do so. Or trade the complete rig for a complete rig with a bigger BP and a wing in the 20-30 # range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom