Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am biting.

Though I cannot say with authority on Evolution, I do believe that it is happening around us daily. When living creatures evolve to the changes in the environment, becoming more able to survive the new conditions, that is evolution. We can even argue that there is a continuous timeline in fossil records which confirm the existence of the process. I think the facts are there for everyone to see, both historically, anecdotally and through rigorous observations.

However, that does not disprove the existence of God. I think this is the main problem with the Creationist theories. Evolution is a process. It is not anti-God. In fact, to me, evolution confirms the existence of God. What else could imbed a natural mechanism for living beings to adapt to changes? To assume that some supreme diety created everything around us with a thought seems surprising naive, given the facts that is unfolding around us daily.

Why Evolution is still called a theory is because scientists are still arguing about the PROCESS rather than questioning whether the process exists. Creationism is, at the end of the day, a religious belief and has no place in the world of science.

Diver Dennis:
It takes time my friend. Man has been here for only a short time if you believe that the earth is older than 7,000 years. Evolution is not a quick process.

How exactly do we know what the timeline is for evolution? We assume based on scientific evidence that is constantly proven and disproven that it takes millions of years for a species to evolve. Yet, we have never seen any one species truly evolve into a higher level. We have seen them adapt to external stimuli and create defenses required to survive, but not evolve per se. Also, if all beings were created by the process of evolution, which is supposedly a constant within life, why do some species become extinct while others don't?

Lost_At_Sea:
When a population changes due to genetics, it isn't evolution. It is adaptation. Not evolution!!!! Something changes for the better to stay alive, is adapting to its environment, not evolving.

I think you have that backwards, adaptation is when a organism becomes better suited to it's environment through things like hunting in packs or shedding fur during warmer times of the year.

Evolution is genetic changes, which over time take an organism that once lived in the sea on to land and develops the proper physiology to live there.

Of course I may be wrong. Could the referee confirm this?

venturediver:
I have a question. If the theory that man evolved from apes in order to adapt to the ever changing world around it, then why haven't we continued to evolve in to greater humans, and why haven't apes continued to evolve as their environment is eliminated and becomes more populated? If this theory is true, shouldn't some humans be superheroes and some apes be carrying briefcases? (Politicians excluded.)

That's not anyone's theory except a strawman created and perpetuated by those attempting to discredit evolution.

So far as I understand it, the current theory holds that both apes and man evolved from a common ancestor.

There's a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to totally discredit evolution. I'm just implying that based on my studies and beliefs, it is not the sole answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything.

venturediver:
How exactly do we know what the timeline is for evolution? We assume based on scientific evidence that is constantly proven and disproven that it takes millions of years for a species to evolve. Yet, we have never seen any one species truly evolve into a higher level. We have seen them adapt to external stimuli and create defenses required to survive, but not evolve per se. Also, if all beings were created by the process of evolution, which is supposedly a constant within life, why do some species become extinct while others don't?

What do you mean we haven't seen? Have we not seen bacteria evolve into drug resistant strains?

Wolverine:
OK, I am biting.

Though I cannot say with authority on Evolution, I do believe that it is happening around us daily. When living creatures evolve to the changes in the environment, becoming more able to survive the new conditions, that is evolution. We can even argue that there is a continuous timeline in fossil records which confirm the existence of the process. I think the facts are there for everyone to see, both historically, anecdotally and through rigorous observations.

However, that does not disprove the existence of God. I think this is the main problem with the Creationist theories. Evolution is a process. It is not anti-God. In fact, to me, evolution confirms the existence of God. What else could imbed a natural mechanism for living beings to adapt to changes? To assume that some supreme diety created everything around us with a thought seems surprising naive, given the facts that is unfolding around us daily.

Why Evolution is still called a theory is because scientists are still arguing about the PROCESS rather than questioning whether the process exists. Creationism is, at the end of the day, a religious belief and has no place in the world of science.

Bingo

venturediver:
I have a question. If the theory that man evolved from apes in order to adapt to the ever changing world around it, then why haven't we continued to evolve in to greater humans, and why haven't apes continued to evolve as their environment is eliminated and becomes more populated? If this theory is true, shouldn't some humans be superheroes and some apes be carrying briefcases? (Politicians excluded.)
Evolution = survival of the fittest.
With the "recent" brakethrus in medicine the weakest now live on to breed so now mankind could be said to be devolving.
Evolution is slow. But people have evolved apart from each other. This is why Africans have such dark skin Europeans are fair skinned. Aisians have squinty eyes.
How do you explain this if they all are decendants from Adam and Eve?
Look at viruses and how they evolve.

Ipso facto, 100%

Lovin_sum_Bubbles:
Thank you...finally someone else on here who thinks with common sense

The trouble with common sense is that it's too far from common and too far from sense.

I've been though enough of these "debates" to know that very few people will change their mind in this setting. I usually stop wasting my time and start making snide remarks. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom