Travelling with Tek gear - i wasn't ready for the weight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico "TSA" often doesn't like regs and no one likes reels/spools. I also had issues in Zurich IIRC? So I check everything heavy now. Black Diamond Stonehauler duffels are burly AF (made for climbing gear which is also hard and heavy like dive gear) and slightly less flashy then Patagonia's Black Hole duffels. Rugged Duffel Bags For Camping & Outdoor Travel | Black Diamond.

Carbon BP and my wing and breakables like masks along with clothes in my carry-on.

This is what I do. All of my gear goes onboard in the cabin with me. The only exception is an empty O2
AL40 that goes in the checked luggage when I go anywhere in the Caribbean. So far, I have not been challenged.

Wow - that's amazing!

But - how does that work with airlines? I'm flying business with EVA to bangkok in 12 days for example, i called them and was told i was allowed "7 kilo in cabin" - no way that would work - then they told me i was allowed to check in 32 kg of sporting good in a 277 cm container.

Do you get special permission to board with such a big carry on?

Wow - that's amazing!

But - how does that work with airlines? I'm flying business with EVA to bangkok in 12 days for example, i called them and was told i was allowed "7 kilo in cabin" - no way that would work - then they told me i was allowed to check in 32 kg of sporting good in a 277 cm container.

Do you get special permission to board with such a big carry on?
I've flown over 1000 flights in my life, not once have I had a carry-on weighed.

I've flown over 1000 flights in my life, not once have I had a carry-on weighed.
I have been checked a few times, Mainly Air France and regional discount airlines as they want the revenue from checked bags. The bigger issue is if you check luggage on a USA airline that allows 70pounds, and then have problems coming back as your first connection is on a foreign airline that allows only 50 pounds. I just had this on a couple trips to Germany, so you need to plan ahead.

The only advantage I have had is that as a multimillion mile flyer I have premium status so heavier bags are usually not charged😉

My carry-on is routinely weighed when flying internationally. US carriers might not generally care when flying domestically, but Philippine Air, for example, made a big stink about being over 7.5kg.

The bigger issue is if you check luggage on a USA airline that allows 70pounds, and then have problems coming back as your first connection is on a foreign airline that allows only 50 pounds.

Assuming that they are on the same itinerary generally the policies of the most major segment applies.

Tanzania to Pemba Island. Cessna Caravan. November. To be fair, they weighed all luggage so I guess that doesn't count since they were more concerned with overall weight and not what my specific piece of carryon weighed.

It also happened once in Edmonton. Security picked up my carryon for a 2nd pass through the xray and realized it was stupid heavy so they weighed it. Too heavy so I had to put lights and stuff in my pockets to lighten the load otherwise they were going to make me check it. However that was a long time ago and security these days doesn't seem to care anymore when they pick up my stupid heavy carryon for secondary inspection.

Sounds like you havent flown though Brisbane, Oz, then?

This is what I do. All of my gear goes onboard in the cabin with me. The only exception is an empty O2
AL40 that goes in the checked luggage when I go anywhere in the Caribbean. So far, I have not been challenged.

Agreed,
Divezone has some really good tips on youtube

I have a backpack that fits exactly under the seat in front
- Laptop and whatever I can cram in here.
I have a carry-on that has the largest allowed dimensions on sturdy wheels.
- Three regulators wrapped in beach towels
- Wing
- Two fins. Jet Fin Bulk Buy - SAVE BIG!!!
These are short enough to just about fit with bungee straps
- 2 finger spools and SMB go in the fin foot pockets
- All double dogs, swivels, hardware.
- Gopro
Also
- 3 Computers in the backpack
- Mask in Checked bag only if the carry-on is full
- Wetsuit
- Backplate (stainless steel) and single tank adapter in checked bag
I have yet to copy what divezone is doing with the backplate as a backpack insert
I worry that TSA won't let me get it through, but it worked for divezone in Egypt, so I have to try.
- Tools, clothing, and other crap in checked bag
- I weigh the checked bag at the counter and will transfer something to maximize the weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom