Travelling with Tek gear - i wasn't ready for the weight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, been away for a while and now travelling SAE to dive. Not gonna lie, the weight is crazy. I mean it's a 32kg case (max on oversize luggage on most airlines) WITHOUT the reg lol. I mean maybe i'm doing something wrong but just the plate, the mount, evidently NO weights, jetfins (full size) , a belt-mounted light and various backups take me to 24kg. Then you have to add all the gear i carry in case something break, webbings, hooks, etc and bang another 4kg. You get the point, so much for the whole 'nomadic diver' dream.

Problem is i ain't leaving halcyon gear behind lol, what do you guys think? How do you travel? what do you consider 'the absolute minimum without which you won't dive because reasons' (safety, familiarity, etc).

Cheers!

Hey everyone, been away for a while and now travelling SAE to dive. Not gonna lie, the weight is crazy. I mean it's a 32kg case (max on oversize luggage on most airlines) WITHOUT the reg lol. I mean maybe i'm doing something wrong but just the plate, the mount, evidently NO weights, jetfins (full size) , a belt-mounted light and various backups take me to 24kg. Then you have to add all the gear i carry in case something break, webbings, hooks, etc and bang another 4kg. You get the point, so much for the whole 'nomadic diver' dream.

Problem is i ain't leaving halcyon gear behind lol, what do you guys think? How do you travel? what do you consider 'the absolute minimum without which you won't dive because reasons' (safety, familiarity, etc).

Cheers!
I'm with AJ on this one. I'd list out exactly what you're brining and how. Between backpack / full size carryon that's overweighted / 22kg 120L duffel, I'm able to travel with a CCR and full loadout for long range diving. Once I push into sub 10deg water or long durations, I bring a second 90L duffel simply because of the heft of the undergarments and additional heated gloves etc. This includes most of a spares kit and four sets of regs. If they weigh the carryon, which seems about 10% of the time, I end up needing to check it.

I know it is a PITA, but try to choose a duffle bag for everything except regulators, lights and other heavy gear, those in the carry on.
Trolley with wheels and rigid, often extensible, handle are in the range 4+kg, duffle bag are always less than 2Kg, more often 1.3Kg.
Do you really need stainless steel backplate ? Try to switch to AL, putting 2 or 3 Kg in trim pockets attached to the BP or using a v-weight from your destination.
About your destination, do you really need to pack every spare you could need ? No support from the destination diving ?

It is definitely a packing challenge to get everything into the normal sized carry-on and one or two 23kg/50lb checked bags, but it can be done. I do it with a JJ rebreather sometimes, as well as enough other kit to do OC tech on location, employing as much bulk gear as I can from local operators at the destination.

Is this 'self-supported' diving? Where? Who is filling your tanks? Drysuit or wetsuit?

Most locations have multiple operators or even community members (friends or Scubaboarders included) who can furnish us with all of the bulk useable gear we need--twinsets, backplates, regs, weight, etc. This often includes everything tec-rec, up to complete working rebreather setups in many places. Can check & plan ahead of time. Hire rates need not be exorbitant, but I guess it depends on the place. SE Asia is bursting with tec-capable operators who would be happy to discuss.

If it's tropical or subtropical just bring the wetsuit (or not), booties, masks, primary reg(s), maybe deco reg(s) (optional), one or two stage rigging kits (optional), lite fins, SMBs/reels, computer, line cutter, travel camera/gopro, whistle/mirror, small torch, some lite tools and spare parts... even this stuff adds up.

Jetfins are unnecessarily heavy, the lighter RK3's work fine even with a drysuit
Can light? Is this for deep wreck penetrations or full cave? Otherwise not necessary. Or just grab an Orcatorch D620
Don't need a 7' reg hose, 5' is fine for open water.
Carbon backplate is almost weightless, but many operators also have a dozen backplates lying around

My Sidewinder just at 48lbs in a Pelican AIR, that's everything for cave diving minus regs, computers, batteries, fins. Fins go in my clothes bag and the rest are in another pelican AIR for carry on. Yea, it sucks.

Thanks guys that's good advice! sa for the people on 48lbs, dang, yeah that SS plate is hurting me isn't it lol :) i should switch to alu for sure! thanks for the tips!

This is what I do. All of my gear goes onboard in the cabin with me. The only exception is an empty O2
AL40 that goes in the checked luggage when I go anywhere in the Caribbean. So far, I have not been challenged.

This is what I do. All of my gear goes onboard in the cabin with me. The only exception is an empty O2
AL40 that goes in the checked luggage when I go anywhere in the Caribbean. So far, I have not been challenged.

I like your travel shoes too :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom