Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I tried to get into the scientific basis of creation versus evolution, I'm sure I would look somewhat foolish. Which I am good enough at doing without writing something foolish. So, I'll just stick with what I believe. Hopefully this thread will evolve or mutate or adapt or be created into something that doesn't put us fellow divers at one another's throat. Maybe we can change it to has EAN 32 been created, or is it just an evolved oxygen.

Evolution - I'm part fish!

Lost_At_Sea:
I was just wondering how many people out there believe in "Creation" and how many people believe in "Evolution." I would just like some feed back. Please keep comments polite and be respectable to other people's comments.

Personally, I believe in Creation. I was raised round church but never really paid any attention. So, I use to believe in Evolution, but now I believe in Creation due to the fact I became saved. In my opinion, I think evolution is no good. Anytime a scientist can not figure out when something walked this earth, they say something like "Fourhunderd Million Years Ago." Now come on! How old do people think the world really is. I think the world is only six - seven thousand years old. Most evolutionist, not all, believe in the big bang theroy. Now, what caused the big bang? Is it so hard to believe that maybe a higher being, "God" as we all call him, created us. Not everything can be explained with facts, sometimes we have to have FAITH.

That' my opinion. I have a lot more to say, but for time sake I kept it short and vague. I just want to see what you all have to say.
a question though for the "saved" (or similar semantic) out there:

were buddhists created? or did they evolve?
what about zoroasters who have a different creation theory...
or the hindu...

so does this mean that just as they-who-have-not-been-"saved" will not enter the kingdom of heaven does that mean that we're letting 1.2 billion chinese go to hell?

that expands to creationism... wupidu if God created you... but who created those that don't believe in God?

darwin had the answer and got a lot of crap for it

Jag

What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

Some think god will help them understand 42, others that science will.

Creationists will not "win" against evolution using scientific arguments and evolution won´t win against creationits using creationsist arguments (no matter how many sheep they get to reproduce)...

Some will even argue that the answer isn´t 42 (*gasp*)...let´s just leave it at that and go diving...

Thalassamania, great quote. Stephen Jay Gould was the king of dumbing it down. :) This was always my favourite part:

Stephen Jay Gould:
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's, but apples did not suspend themselves in mid-air, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from apelike ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other, yet to be discovered."

And I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:
familyguyaverageretardedcreationistjj2.png

:D

A great speech by Dr. Eric Cornell, Nobel Prize winner in Physics, 2001.

What Was God Thinking? Science Can't Tell

Scientists, this is a call to action. But also one to inaction. Why am I the messenger? Because my years of scientific research have made me a renowned expert on my topic: God. Just kidding. You'll soon see what I mean. Let me pose you a question, not about God but about the heavens: "Why is the sky blue?" I offer two answers: 1) The sky is blue because of the wavelength dependence of Rayleigh scattering; 2) The sky is blue because blue is the color God wants it to be.

My scientific research has been in areas connected to optical phenomena, and I can tell you a lot about the Rayleigh-scattering answer. Neither I nor any other scientist, however, has anything scientific to say about answer No. 2, the God answer. Not to say that the God answer is unscientific, just that the methods of science don't speak to that answer.

Before we understood Rayleigh scattering, there was no scientifically satisfactory explanation for the sky's blueness. The idea that the sky is blue because God wants it to be blue existed before scientists came to understand Rayleigh scattering, and it continues to exist today, not in the least undermined by our advance in scientific understanding. The religious explanation has been supplemented--but not supplanted--by advances in scientific knowledge. We now may, if we care to, think of Rayleigh scattering as the method God has chosen to implement his color scheme.

Right now there is a federal trial under way in Dover, Pa., over a school policy requiring teachers to tell students about "intelligent design" before teaching evolution. The central idea of intelligent design is that nature is the way it is because God wants it to be that way. This is not an assertion that can be tested in a scientific way, but studied in the right context, it is an interesting notion. As a theological idea, intelligent design is exciting. Listen: If nature is the way it is because God wants it to be that way, then, by looking at nature, one can learn what it is that God wants! The microscope and the telescope are no longer merely scientific instruments; they are windows into the mind of God.

But as exciting as intelligent design is in theology, it is a boring idea in science. Science isn't about knowing the mind of God; it's about understanding nature and the reasons for things. The thrill is that our ignorance exceeds our knowledge; the exciting part is what we don't understand yet. If you want to recruit the future generation of scientists, you don't draw a box around all our scientific understanding to date and say, "Everything outside this box we can explain only by invoking God's will." Back in 1855, no one told the future Lord Rayleigh that the scientific reason for the sky's blueness is that God wants it that way. Or if someone did tell him that, we can all be happy that the youth was plucky enough to ignore them. For science, intelligent design is a dead-end idea.

My call to action for scientists is, work to ensure that the intelligent-design hypothesis is taught where it can contribute to the vitality of a field (as it could perhaps in theology class) and not taught in science class, where it would suck the excitement out of one of humankind's great ongoing adventures. Now for my call to inaction: most scientists will concede that as powerful as science is, it can teach us nothing about values, ethics, morals or, for that matter, God. Don't go about pretending otherwise! For example, science can try to predict how human activity may change the climate, but science can't tell us whether those changes would be good or bad.

Should scientists, as humans, make judgments on ethics, morals, values and religion? Absolutely. Should we act on these judgments, in an effort to do good? You bet. Should we make use of the goodwill we may have accumulated through our scientific achievements to help us do good? Why not? Just don't claim that your science tells you "what is good" ... or "what is God."

Act: fight to keep intelligent design out of science classrooms! Don't act: don't say science disproves intelligent design. Stick with the plainest truth: science says nothing about intelligent design, and intelligent design brings nothing to science, and should be taught in theology, not science classes.

My value judgment is that further progress in science will be good for humanity. My argument here is offered in the spirit of trying to preserve science from its foes--but also from its friends.

Yeah, he's always been one of my heros, even if he was a baseball freak<G>.

Lost_At_Sea:
When a population changes due to genetics, it isn't evolution. It is adaptation. Not evolution!!!! Something changes for the better to stay alive, is adapting to its environment, not evolving.
Oh actually it is Lost_at_Sea..
The reason populations adapt and evolve is usually due to natural selection and selective pressure.

A very very very simplistic explanation and example of this would be this is we have a population of birds with 5 cm beaks and the few that have 7cm beaks can crush and eat bigger nuts, they have an advantage as compared to the other birds and will
a) have more access to food
b)improving their chances of living and
c)most importantly improving the odds of them reproducing and passing their genes onto the next generation.

This happens enough and you'll find that the whole population has that trait, larger beaks which is in fact evolution.

It's important to note that all the traits we see of animals or plants are a result of the expression of the genotype (or genetic code) in the phenotype (traits we can see and observe).

Creationism and Evolution are not mutually exclusive.
It would be helpful if the OP clarified and gave his definition/version of Creationism..

That's really good,

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom