Cressi Leonardo or Suunto Zoop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am about to buy the Cressi Sub Leonardo in Europe. I was quoted a price of 189 Euro - this seems hard to beat. The reviews in European magazins (Tauchen.de for example) are very good. This dive computer has everything I need, incl. Nitrox use.

The Zoop is a nice basic computer. Don't know anything about the Cressi. That said, however, there's no reason you have to buy a computer before you do your O/W certifications. You can take some time to play around a bit, rent a few different ones, and see what works best for you.

I am OW certified now! :) I am leaning towards the Cressi. I should be buying one here in the next few weeks.

I have a Zoop and I'm a big fan of it. It has all the functionality that a recreational diver needs. My only complaint about the Zoop is that it's lousy for night diving. The display isn't illuminated and if you point your primary light at it you'll probably wash out your night vision.

I have a Zoop and I'm a big fan of it. It has all the functionality that a recreational diver needs. My only complaint about the Zoop is that it's lousy for night diving. The display isn't illuminated and if you point your primary light at it you'll probably wash out your night vision.

Hello ppatin,
Just charge it up good before you descend, 3-4 seconds with bright light. Should glow in the dark with the info easy to read, no problems. Later again, no trouble with ur night vision cuz using a flash light while on night dive, or just briefly turn ur head.

Ill jump in with a vote for the Zoop, owned a Gekko loved it until I lost it, own a Vyper love it also, very reliable, very easy to use and the battery goes on forever.

Ill jump in with a vote for the Zoop, owned a Gekko loved it until I lost it, own a Vyper love it also, very reliable, very easy to use and the battery goes on forever.

"and the battery goes on forever"

Good point on battery life.
I guess part of that is due to the 30 second sampling of the gekko, which I also owned. So, not mentioned so far is that the sample rate of the Zoop is adjustable, with options of 10 & 30 seconds.
I don't know what the sampling rate of the Cressi is. I think for a new diver one of the most important things to review from your dive is your ascent rate. At 10 seconds on the Zoop it will give you a pretty good idea(along with the ascent meter, it saves rapid ascents on individual dives).

The Cressi Leonardo all the way, big screen, very easy to use. It is a great computer.

---------- Post Merged at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Congrats on you OW cert. you are now part of the diving family.

Both will suit you fine. Both are fairly new releases. Is the Cressi slightly more compact than the Zoop? I'd suggest having the built-in back light is a small advantage. Cressi and Sunto computers track VERY closely in their algorithms provided you set the Suunto to 50% instead of the default 100%. Does the Zoop allow you to set the RGBM algorithm to 50%?

My wife and I have the earlier Cressi Archimides II console computer (also wrist mountable with a strap). It tracks within a minute or two of our Suunto D6 and D4 if these are set to RGBM 50%. We don't have issues with one computer (Suunto) going into deco and the other (Cressi) not, unless we really push our NDL. This is also a consideration when diving with other divers.

From images I think the Leonardo is a nicer looking instrument. I also like the Cressi Edy II for a smaller watch style computer. That can be purchased for $65 more than the Leonardo at leisurepro.com

Hope this helps. Or has it confused?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom